Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,202   Posts: 1,531,613   Online: 1162

mjs

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Al-Vista 3B ancient panoramic camera

My wonderful wife brought this home last week in an attempt at encouraging me to make "old-timey" panoramic pictures. After reading up on the camera over the Internet, I've discovered that it needs fans and Waterhouse stops to be functional again (the question of film has yet to be investigated thoroughly but I know I can cut 8x10 down to make single exposures.

Anyone have any ideas on finding or, more likely, making fans and stops for this camera? If anyone has dimensions, that would be a huge help.

Thanks!

Mike
    Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming– “Wow! What a Ride!”

— Hunter S. Thompson

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If you are handy you can likely make both. the waterhouse stops are thin sheet brass painted black and fit into the middle of the lense, which comes out by turning and pulling. kind of a bayonet mount. Don't know if I have any for my 3b but will look. the fans are a rectangular piece of metal with a shaft that matches and press fits onto a spindle in the camera. Again I would try those brass racks from a hobby section at the hardware store. I have a few pics on my web site jamieyoungphoto.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'll concur with Jamie making waterhouse stops is easy, I made a set from Aluminuum for a Petzval, in fact I just painted them earlier tonight.

Ian

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin