Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,807   Posts: 1,581,427   Online: 1130

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Shooter
    ULarge Format

Couple of notes about drilling springs...

Just wanted to pass on a few tips about cirkut springs and this probably applies to a lot of other springs as well.

I have repaired dozens of cirkut springs over the years. The broken springs usually break on the ends and can be shortened without much change to the overall performance. Here is a good way to do it, Heat a couple of inches with a small torch to remove the temper and then drill your hole being careful to make it perfect, i.e. no burrs or roughness. You will need to hand file the hole to make it pear shaped to fit over the screw head and not pop off. The loss of temper helps when the hole is for the inside connection as the shaft it goes on needs a few wraps that a full tension spring cannot do.

Another very neat way to drill a hole through a spring and not remove a few inches of temper is to use a blank piece of steel the size of the hole you wish to make or a bit smaller before you drill the hole with a regular drill. This has to be done in a drill press.

Let me explain, the blank steel rod is used like a drill, only as you bear down on the spring it gets really hot but only at the spot you are drilling the hole. You do this until you see color (red) on the spring and then it has the temper removed only where the hole is going. Replace the steel rod with your drill and make the hole. and you've done it.

Another quick note about cirkut springs, They actually made different thickness springs so there was more power but less running time. A normal spring takes about 15 full turns to wind and the "power" spring uses about half that to tightly wind. Quite frankly, I don't like the heavier springs. A well tuned cirkut motor doesn't need that. The more important issue is proper lubrication, NOT OIL, use dry graphite on the spring.

All for now

Ron Klein

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Thanks Jamie, and Ron. Here's a progress report. Some digi talk. Hope that's OK. I decided some time ago to draw the line at the negative stage with these. I've neither the time or space to get serious about wet prints;

Thanks for all the well wishes and support. Looking almost due east for this image. Looking at the front of the Mizpah Hotel, which is our main landmark.

Yesterday I was able to borrow the one excellent original copy of Sheelor's image. The museum and the courtroom both had 2nd generation photo copy's from the 1960's and had lost detail and sharpness, but the county assessor's office had an original in it's oak frame.

Tonopah; 1913 (click for larger image)

I laid it carefully on some terry towels and proceeded to pull all hundred nails and lay them carefully adjacent on the towels to where they came out. There were 8 pieces of 1/8" pine holding the cardboard behind the photo paper. I numbered them lightly with a red pencil so I could get them back in exactly as removed.

Then I set a long table under the Epson V700 and proceeded to scan at 240 dpi, and 300 dpi. Takes about 9 scans so you have good overlap.

The reason I did it twice was because I was seeing some smear and I thought it was photomerge doing a lousy job of sewing my picture back together. Turns out it was Sheelor's Cirkut camera doing a lousy job of painting the image on the film. Also I see a couple of double imaging spots. Those are accountable to movement in the contact printer I think. At original contact size you really don't notice some of this stuff. In fact I'd never been able to see the train engine making the smoke until I scanned the image.

After the scans I carefully laid the image back in the frame and put each nail back in it's original hole, returned to the assessor's office, and re-hung the picture back in it's place.

So here also is my final image for 2013 comparison;

Tonopah 2013 (click for larger image)

Even though the thumbnails are different sizes, the images are both about 51 1/2" long. Identical for all practical purposes.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep..to gain that which he cannot lose. Jim Elliot, 1949

http://tonopahpictures.0catch.com

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Another update. Nevada Magazine will publish a piece about this undertaking with both images in their upcoming May-June issue.

I need to build a corresponding page on my website and try to sell a few. :rolleyes: I just spent $455 for ink for the Epson! I'm not very good at making money on this kind of stuff, so may never break even.

My camera is an all black governor model. Newest patent date is 1905 though.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep..to gain that which he cannot lose. Jim Elliot, 1949

http://tonopahpictures.0catch.com

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin