Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,829   Posts: 1,582,219   Online: 1047

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Blog Entries
    Images

The Cirkut is Alive! ALIVE!!

also posted over at lfforum

If this works right, click on the 'thumbnail' for a larger version.

It's been about 4 years since I've had the Cirkut out.

In 1913, George Sheelor did a fine panorama of Tonopah, Nevada with a #10 Cirkut camera. The original hangs proudly in our court house.

Well, the good people of Tonopah want a 100 year update. And since I have a machine identical to the one Sheelor used, that is what's driving this epic picture.

So this is my first try, but if you look carefully at Sheelor's image at the LOC, you'll see I failed miserable so far!

So with a tiny version of the LOC Sheelor original I went back to figure it out. My initial placement was by looking at the gap between the 2 5 story buildings downtown. Pretty close. But then I discovered Sheelor must have been way farther up the slope than me and used a longer lens.

So I started hiking this afternoon. Sure enough, where the impossibly steep shaley mountain turns into sheer cliffs, there is remains of Sheelor's original wood platform made of railroad ties 100 years ago.

This story to be continued . . .

1910 - ish Kodak Cirkut Panoramic Camera, Turner Reich 10 3/4 - 18 - 24" lens (18" component used), Aerial Recon 9.5" Tri-X film. 9.5X57 inches.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep..to gain that which he cannot lose. Jim Elliot, 1949

http://tonopahpictures.0catch.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

The Cirkut is Alive! ALIVE!!

That's just terrific Jim!
    -----------------------

"Well, my photos are actually much better than they look..."

Richard S.
    Albany, CA (San Francisco bay area)

My Flickr River of photographs
    http://flickriver.com/photos/rich815...r-interesting/

My Photography Website
    http://www.lightshadowandtone.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Jim is that the same camera used in the 2010 or 11 Tonapah workshop you had out at Jim's secrete spot. Looks sharp and its nice view.

Miikke

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Certainly looks like Tonopah to me! Good first try Jim but I think you need to have someone start a tire fire for you just out of town to really recreate this right.

Interesting that the original platform still exists. Am looking forward to the next edition.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Pioneer View Post
    Certainly looks like Tonopah to me! Good first try Jim but I think you need to have someone start a tire fire for you just out of town to really recreate this right.

Interesting that the original platform still exists. Am looking forward to the next edition.
    Thanks. Yes, I've had that thought. An old military trash can with some diesel fuel ought to work.

A bunch of rocks have fallen on the original platform but I was thrilled that it was still there! When I stood up there, every line fell into place perfectly.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep..to gain that which he cannot lose. Jim Elliot, 1949

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mike c View Post
    Jim is that the same camera used in the 2010 or 11 Tonapah workshop you had out at Jim's secrete spot. Looks sharp and its nice view.

Miikke
    Yep, that's the one! What year was that? Need to get that picture developed

It's in a safe place.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jimgalli View Post
    Yep, that's the one! What year was that? Need to get that picture developed

It's in a safe place.
    Take it to K-mart in Goldfield.

Mike

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jimgalli View Post
    Pretty close. But then I discovered Sheelor must have been way farther up the slope than me and used a longer lens.
    Nice Job!! Exactly the same conclusion I drew before even reading your post...

Examined both photos very closely and the perspective was slightly off. There is a really good original structure foreground reference point just below the now-missing tower on the near side of that whitish open area. An unmistakeable square white attic window. Lining that up with the horizon, it's off just a bit. Did you climb higher and slightly to the left?

I once tried this same thing by driving up Six Mile Canyon Road above Virginia City with a 4x5 camera and an illustrated copy of the Eliot Lord book. Got pretty close as well. I can remember how much fun I had. You're making me feel young again.

Can't wait to see the final result!

Ken
    "They are the proof that something was there and no longer is. Like a stain. And the stillness of them is boggling. You can turn away but when you come back they’ll still be there looking at you."

— Diane Arbus, March 15, 1971, in response to a request for a brief statement about photographs

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Nadvornick View Post
    Nice Job!! Exactly the same conclusion I drew before even reading your post...

Examined both photos very closely and the perspective was slightly off. There is a really good original structure foreground reference point just below the now-missing tower on the near side of that whitish open area. An unmistakeable square white attic window. Lining that up with the horizon, it's off just a bit. Did you climb higher and slightly to the left?

I once tried this same thing by driving up Six Mile Canyon Road above Virginia City with a 4x5 camera and an illustrated copy of the Eliot Lord book. Got pretty close as well. I can remember how much fun I had. You're making me feel young again.

Can't wait to see the final result!

Ken

Did you climb higher and slightly to the left? Yep. A LOT higher. Shale. Impossible to get a foothold. It'll be interesting with a 30 pound load. Sheelor must have had animals. Young?? I'm 60! Good thing Sheelor didn't do it in 1927. I won't be re-doing the 100 year version of that.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mike c View Post
    Take it to K-mart in Goldfield.

Mike
    Of course!! Why didn't I think of that??!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin