Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,566   Posts: 1,545,381   Online: 1039

Shooter
    35mm

35mm Panoramic camera with Leica lens!

Hi,

I recently came across an interesting 35mm swing lens panoramic camera fitted with an Elmar f3.5 lens from a 1927 fixed lens Leica I camera. The panoramic camera may be a prototype, based on an existing camera or simply home made, some parts are well made and others not. The main body is metal and wood covered with leather cloth and parts of the swing lens mechanism are brass. The shutter's timing mechanism appears to be from a vintage Thornton Pickard roller blind shutter as probably are the blinds that are used instead of a rotating drum. No slit width adjustment just speed variation across the blinds travel. It looks to have been used extensively judging by the wear. If you put a piece of ground glass in the focal plane the Leica lens does focus to infinity correctly.

Details can be seen on Flickr starting with http://tinyurl.com/btkkzsp .

Has anybody seen anything similar or can suggest its history?

Nigel

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Swing lens panoramic cameras originate back in the 19th century. But this model is unknown to me.

Shooter
    35mm Pan
    WoW!! Amazing camera! Did you try to load some film in it and use it?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    looks homemade to me -- why else take a lens off a leica except for some more ambitious project?

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin