Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,516   Posts: 1,572,120   Online: 1115

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

XPan is on its way :)

I have thought (drooled) over an XPan many times over past few years, but I never got one mostly because of the price. But I was always attracted by the format and compact size of the camera.

So yesterday while browsing the *Bay I just came across one quite good looking XPan with the 45 lens for more than reasonable price - I took a few minutes to think & check (as far as possible) - and bought it. Now - 24 hours later the camera is on its way and I can not wait

Me and my wife are leaving for a vacation in a week - the XPan comes along. To make sure it gets proper work out I am leaving my Mamiya 6 at home (a tough deception to be honest, but I do take my 4x5" field setup).

I have also ordered 5 rolls of Acros, 2 rolls of Agfa Scala (my first try with the film) and 2 rolls of Ektar (I have some Velvia 50 too, but since I do not have the centre filter, I will rather wait with that) and a yellow filter too.

So - what else am I going to need? Any advice how to start? How is the in-camera metering? I have Gossen Digisix, but would actually prefer to let the camera to meter.

I am so excited

Shooter
    35mm
    I just bought a Xpan with 45mm a few months ago as well. Saw and held one for the first time at a out of town camera shop, then drove home and thought about the price of it too. After a week or so of feeling itchy about it, I though why the ^%&* not and now you know where my tax return went this year.
    It's been a wonderful camera to shoot with. Its been taking a bit getting use to using a rangefinder instead of a SLR and I wish the lens were a bit faster, but boy looking at the first negatives out of the wash and it was all worth it.
    I sill am trying to find a negative carrier to accommodate the the double wide negative, and I have found a couple and will order one when I figure out whats compatible with my enlargers. Enjoy!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Enjoy!
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Congrats! My only advice is to keep it level. If you're also toting along a 4x5, then you have a tripod. As for exposure, I rely on sunny 16.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    You guys will love these things... I shoot a Fujis TX1 which is the same thing with a different name plate, but it is the same... love it... panos make you think different, don't they?
    Logan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks.

I will get a small level for the hot-shoe to get the horizon right.

Concerning the centre filter. Are there suitable 3rd party ones that fit or should I rather look for the original one?

I also made a search for an L-bracket and there were 2 in the past (Kirk and RRS) but these seem to be hard to find.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    An excellent buy!

I have been using one since they came out and it is my favourite camera and one I shall never part with. If you are processing your own films you will have to get used to retrieving the film leaders from the cassettes as the camera always winds the film completely back. I took this up with Hasselblad and there is no way you can change this - which was a surprise. But if you get hold of an Ilford film leader retriever the job is easy and you soon get used to having to do this extra job. The metering I have found to be very good and it is useful that it is TTL so filter factors are automatically taken care of. Although a lot of the time I still use my hand held Sekonic and have the camera set to manual. Either way you will be very pleased with the results. I have found my Xpan to be the ideal camera for me for landscapes - especially when there is the need to go light.

Enjoy :-)

Neil.
    Last edited by Neil Souch; 06-23-2013 at 04:15 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Good choice. I bought one with 45 and 90mm for myself two weeks ago and I'm very pleased with it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks, good to hear that the meter can be trusted.

Yes - I develop my BW films. I use the dedicated opener to get film from the cartridge, so that should be OK.

I was already thinking of the 90 lens as I know I will have the use for it (I use the 150 for my Mamiya 6 rather often), but I have decided to wait and see how I get on with the XPan, before spending any more. Right now I am targeting the lens hood

I hope that latest on Tuesday I will have the camera in my hands. Optimally I would manage to get through 1 films before the vacation to be on the safe side.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    OK, the camera is here. Man it looks great! It feels even better in hand - really solid. It feel more solid than my Mamiya 6 and way more solid that the Bessa R3A which I had in the past (well - that camera is in different price range). There is very little paint loss on the bottom edges, but I could not care less

The focusing is smooth, the aperture ring feels great too. The viewfinder is nice, the rangefinder patch contrasty - no problems to focus in not-too-well lit evening living room.

I have also received the most expensive little piece of plastic I have ever bought - the sunshade, but it fits perfectly and makes it nearly impossible to get some unwanted elements on the lens which is my priority.

The only thing that could be different is the position of the tripod mounting point - completely de-centerded witch will probably not allow to use my compact table-tripod.

Let's just hope that my film order (Across 100 and Ektar) will arrive in time, but there can be some film found in local drugstore, so that is not critical.

I feel really high (NO substances other than 1.5 hours of sweating in a gym, I am KO) - this camera is going to get used quite a bit over my coming vacation. I am still fighting myself to leave the Mamiya 6 at home (should I?) to concentrate more on the XPan.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin