Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,332   Posts: 1,537,373   Online: 1115

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format

Zuiko 24/3,5 shift for Xpan - a bad choice?

I have just bought a Zuiko 24/3,5 shift lens adapted to Nikon mount that I intend to use on my Xpan with a Nikon-Xpan adapter since I don't have the funds for a 30mm. Maybe a stupid buy but it could be interesting.
    Has anyone tried this? The image circle is supposed to be only 58mm from what I have been able to find (image circles for 35mm lenses are not easy to find) but I have no idea at what aperture this is. Most likely 58mm is the smallest circle at infinity but I have no idea at how this changes when stopped down.
    Did I do something stupid?
    In time I will know the answer but the lens will be some time before arriving so speculate is all that I can do for the moment.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Jesper View Post
    I have just bought a Zuiko 24/3,5 shift lens adapted to Nikon mount that I intend to use on my Xpan with a Nikon-Xpan adapter since I don't have the funds for a 30mm. Maybe a stupid buy but it could be interesting.
    Has anyone tried this? The image circle is supposed to be only 58mm from what I have been able to find (image circles for 35mm lenses are not easy to find) but I have no idea at what aperture this is. Most likely 58mm is the smallest circle at infinity but I have no idea at how this changes when stopped down.
    Did I do something stupid?
    In time I will know the answer but the lens will be some time before arriving so speculate is all that I can do for the moment.
    With your adapter various Nikon lenses could be fitted to an XPAN - with more of less success. Perhaps the most commonly used lenses would be Nikon PC 28 and 35mm lenses. Typical problems, beyond the obvious one of non-rangefinder coupling, would be insufficient covering power or mechanical vignetting. The XPAN body has baffle plate just inside the mount, also the dedicated lenses all sit relatively close to the film (compared to a reflex camera). On my 'adapted' XPAN I have tried a Nikon 135mm f/3.5 which works very well, apart from mechanical vignetting reducing the frame width to 50mm or so. I also have a Russian made revolving turret viewfinder for focal lengths 28, 35, 50, 85 and 135mm to aid composition. I should imagine your 24mm shift would work well - but you may not get the full 65mm frame.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hi,

here some technical specifications:

Angle of view: 84° (100° at max. shift)
    Maximum shift: 10 mm
    Image circle: 57,2 mm diameter
    Optical construction: 12 elements in 10 groups, multi-coated
    Diaphgram operation: Preset
    Minimum focus: 0,35 mm
    F/stop range: 3,5-22
    Maximum field size: 24x36 cm
    Focusing: Rotation cam (Inner focus)
    Weight: 510 g
    Length: 75 mm
    Filter: Built-in (Neutral, Y48, O56, R60)

I hope this helps you a little bit.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks for the insights. Hopefully the lens will get here next week and then i will have some fun experimenting to do.

Shooter
    Med. Format Pan
    I have once seen a chinese c/y-xpan-adapter. zeiss pc-distagon 35/2.8 could deliver 5mm shift up, theoretically.
    www.3dreal.tk
    www.stereopan.org
    under reconstruction
    3dstereomedia
    aeropanorama
    marspanoramas

Shooter
    Med. Format Pan
    make a drawing an calculate shift. 5mm shift is not that big but on the other hand quality of shift-lens on 70mm width is much better.
    www.3dreal.tk
    www.stereopan.org
    under reconstruction
    3dstereomedia
    aeropanorama
    marspanoramas

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Unfortunately the combo didn't work. The Nikon AI to Xpan adapter was slightly long so I can't focus the lens correctly. I ended up using Xpan with 45 and 90mm and a Widelux until I can afford a 30mm for the Xpan.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Jesper View Post
    Unfortunately the combo didn't work. The Nikon AI to Xpan adapter was slightly long so I can't focus the lens correctly. I ended up using Xpan with 45 and 90mm and a Widelux until I can afford a 30mm for the Xpan.
    Sorry to hear that you're having problems. In principle the Zuiko lens you have should be able useable on an XPAN including retention of infinity focus - because of the lens's sufficiently long back focus. You need the correct adaptor.
    What I don't understand is that if the lens was properly adapted to Nikon, why you have a focus problem. Does the lens focus to infinity on a Nikon reflex camera?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil Grant View Post
    Sorry to hear that you're having problems. In principle the Zuiko lens you have should be able useable on an XPAN including retention of infinity focus - because of the lens's sufficiently long back focus. You need the correct adaptor.
    What I don't understand is that if the lens was properly adapted to Nikon, why you have a focus problem. Does the lens focus to infinity on a Nikon reflex camera?
    I don't understand how he can use the lens on a Nikon. F-mount register is 46.50 mm. OM mount register is 46.00 mm. Getting a lens in OM mount to focus to infinity on a Nikon requires an adapter with negative thickness.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fromm View Post
    I don't understand how he can use the lens on a Nikon. F-mount register is 46.50 mm. OM mount register is 46.00 mm. Getting a lens in OM mount to focus to infinity on a Nikon requires an adapter with negative thickness.
    Given the wording of the OP, I'd presume that what he had was a "permanently modified mount" (ie, unscrew the OM mount and machine a new one).
    From the sounds of the rest of the thread, it probably wasn't a very good job of it...

(I'd have just gotten a regular OM mount and OM->Xpan adapter myself)
    An awful lot of electrons were terribly inconvenienced in the making of this post.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin