Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,197   Posts: 1,531,410   Online: 882

Shooter
    Multi Format

Silvermax and Xpan

I have run some rolls through my Xpan and it works fine with all films with the exception of Silvermax. With a roll of Silvermax in the camera it simply doesn't spool it when I close the camera. I have tried two different rolls to the same effect and as soon as I put another film in the camera and close the back it spools the film as it should.
    Has anyone else experienced this problem?

San Francisco, CA | Kuching, MY | Jakarta, ID
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Stop worrying about grain, resolution, sharpness, and everything else that doesn't have a damn thing to do with substance.

http://www.flickr.com/kediwah

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks for the tip but I have not used bulk load, only factory loaded cassettes but I will check the DX encoding on the Silvermax to see if there is a problem.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thanks for the tip but I have not used bulk load, only factory loaded cassettes but I will check the DX encoding on the Silvermax to see if there is a problem.
    Silvermax has no DX code and cannot be used in autmatic cameras which require a DX code.

The reason behind this is that at present the MOQ for DX coded cartridges is 150.000 pce. per type.
    Since only a very small share of the market is affected we had to let this market share slip.
    Instead we use the same cassettes for all speeds and overlabel the DX code.
    This will be more and more common with other manufacturers as well in the future. Paying for and stocking 300.000 casettes (if you need two different codes) is prohibitive at current sales levels.
    We offer DX labels in our webshop as a fix: http://www.fotoimpex.de/shopen/camer...r-package.html

Mirko

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks for the answer. That clears things up. I usually set the ISO manually but thought I would try the auto setting on the Xpan now that I have a camera that is able to use it.
    The Silvermax is an excellent film and I would hate not to be able to use it in the Xpan. I will just set the speed manually.

Thanks.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jesper View Post
    Thanks for the answer. That clears things up. I usually set the ISO manually but thought I would try the auto setting on the Xpan now that I have a camera that is able to use it.
    The Silvermax is an excellent film and I would hate not to be able to use it in the Xpan. I will just set the speed manually.

Thanks.
    Yes, Silvermax is my favorite film. I bet it would look phenomenal in the right hands, especially when those hands are gripping an Xpan!

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by pstake View Post
    Yes, Silvermax is my favorite film. I bet it would look phenomenal in the right hands, especially when those hands are gripping an Xpan!
    I want to try some, it sounds like good stuff.

Also, I don't understand the relation between spooling and the DX code, my Canon 1V auto spools and if the DX code is missing or wrong, I just change it in the camera settings. The x-pan is newer isn't it? Can't you just load it and then change the ASA after?

~Stone | Sent w/ iPhone using Tapatalk
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The only previous camera I'd used with DX coding (Canon Top Shot way back) worked anyway but treated all films that it couldn't read as ISO 100. The way I saw it this wouldn't be a problem as long as the film is ISO 100. Apparently they have some kind of safe guard on the Xpan that does not let you use film with unknown sensitivity (set it through the DX code or manually and the Xpan is happy). In all my other cameras, including Nikon F4 I set the speed manually so I have never really thought about the possibility of this kind of safe guard or whether Silvermax has a DX code or not. My question was quickly answered thanks to apug and I can start using Silvermax in my Xpan.

About spooling. The Xpan, like some other Fuji cameras, starts by spooling all the film onto the take up spool and the proceeds to wind it back into the cassette when you take pictures. This is done to make sure that you don't loose any pictures should you accidentally open the camera. The safe guard disables this initial spooling until the ISO is set either by auto or manually. I just have to remember to set the speed manually for it to spool.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jesper View Post
    The only previous camera I'd used with DX coding (Canon Top Shot way back) worked anyway but treated all films that it couldn't read as ISO 100. The way I saw it this wouldn't be a problem as long as the film is ISO 100. Apparently they have some kind of safe guard on the Xpan that does not let you use film with unknown sensitivity (set it through the DX code or manually and the Xpan is happy). In all my other cameras, including Nikon F4 I set the speed manually so I have never really thought about the possibility of this kind of safe guard or whether Silvermax has a DX code or not. My question was quickly answered thanks to apug and I can start using Silvermax in my Xpan.

About spooling. The Xpan, like some other Fuji cameras, starts by spooling all the film onto the take up spool and the proceeds to wind it back into the cassette when you take pictures. This is done to make sure that you don't loose any pictures should you accidentally open the camera. The safe guard disables this initial spooling until the ISO is set either by auto or manually. I just have to remember to set the speed manually for it to spool.
    OH! That's a neat feature.

~Stone | Sent w/ iPhone using Tapatalk
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Just one more reason the XPan is quite possibly the most well-designed camera of the past quarter-century.

The information on Silvermax is interesting, too...thanks APUG.
    "Never criticize someone until you've walked a mile in their shoes. That way, you're a mile away and you've got their shoes."

MY BLOG - www.reservedatalltimes.com
    YOU SHOULD LOOK AT THIS SITE - www.colincorneau.com
    INSTAGRAM: colincorneau

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin