Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,953   Posts: 1,557,997   Online: 1097

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Center filter available or needed?

I'm in the process of getting rigged up with a Toyo 45 A camera, Shen Hoa 617 back and Schneider 90mm f8 lens. The lens is is in the 14399XXX range with multicoating. Question is is a center weighted filter available and/or needed? The obvious answer is for me to go shoot some film and see what I think and I'll do that. Would like to hear others experience with this or similar set up. Thanks in advance, Bill Barber
    Last edited by nsurit; 09-18-2013 at 05:42 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    A center filter's not needed, it has a marginal ipact, when you use a 75mm or 65mm they are needed for critical and particularly colour work.

I use a 75mm f8 SA on my 617 camera and shooting B&W have no need for a center filter.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I am using a center filter (Rodenstock IIIB) on a 75mm nikkor for B/W and color. I find on the 6x17 that there is some light falloff in the sides and I want a nice even exposure. The 110 and 210 no filter. Each lens has oodles of image circle.
    Last edited by jetcode; 09-20-2013 at 08:47 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    If you are shooting slide film, you'll notice the difference with and without the filter, using a 90/8 S-A on 6x17 (I used the same lens with a Da-Yi 6x17 back). At that point, it's a matter of taste, lighting, and how important the detail is at the edges of the frame. If the main subject is in the center of the frame, then some falloff can make a stronger composition. If you want to put the subject at the edge of the frame or make a more narrative image that reads from left to right, a center filter gives you more options.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Med. Format Pan
    There will be falloff at the sides but a filter is not needed. In the end it's all a matter of taste.

Some people will tell you it's needed and the planet will fly out of its orbit and the end will be upon us if you don't use one... other people (like me) will tell you not to bother... Take your pick.
    * Just because your eyes are closed, doesn't mean the lights in the darkroom are off. *
    * When the film you put in the camera is worth more than the camera you put the film in... *
    * When I started using 8x10, it amazed me how many shots were close to the car. *

LJH

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    If you are shooting slide/positive, and you want even exposure, you'll absolutely need one.

Even my 120mm has noticeable falloff toards the edges. My 90mm f5.6, with its larger image circle, needs the CF.

If you only believe one thing that I write, believe this: it's easier to add the look of falloff in post than remove it!!

Shooter
    Large Format
    With slide film, exspecially such difficult ones as Velvia 50 I need a center filter. As far as I know the right one for the SA 90mm /8 is the Schneider Centerfilter IIIa (older model) or IIIb (newer model). I have now used my SA 90mm /8 on 4x5 with a Centerfilter III what is orriginally designed for the 75mm SA and had very good results.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin