Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,856   Posts: 1,582,990   Online: 1050

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    JLP
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Originally Posted by thegman

5 inches is only about 12cm, how will a 4x5 lens cover a 6x17 frame? Am I missing something?

A 6x17 back will be moved back from the GG so as long as the lens is not to far away you will be able to get a width of 17cm. If you move the lens too far away the 5" width will restrict the image. When using longer focal lengths you will have to use tele designs and not conventional lenses.
    There are no such thing as a 4x5 lens. Large Format lenses are just that, lenses that are mounted on a box with a bellows to simplify it a bit.
    They have different focal length and speed but most important they also have different image circle and it is the image circle that is important. A 150mm lens can have anywhere from 140 to 400mm IC depending on the design of the lens.

The point Jesper is making is important if you go with a 6x17 back for your 4X5 it is also important to think about shorter focal lenght lenses as you may not be able to compress your bellows enough to focus at infinity.

A dedicated 6x17 with the propper cone for your lens of choice will be nicer to work with. The disadvantage is that you almost need to dedicate that lens to the 6x17 as mounting, calibrating and removing again takes time.
    Last edited by JLP; 12-12-2013 at 09:19 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by David A. Goldfarb View Post
    Any lens that covers the format and is physically compatible can be used on these dedicated 617 cameras, for instance:

http://www.fotoman.cc/showPro.asp?id=33

http://www.badgergraphic.com/store/c..._detail&p=2878

http://www.ebonycamera.com/cam/main.617S.html
    Nice, good you posted those links, will help a lot.

In fact i was planning on Fotoman one and found one with good price even very expensive, but then your link of Shen Hao is getting same to that price, now i don't know if better to go with Shen Hao which has enough movements or with Fotoman and i am not sure it has any movement even just shift?

The table from Fotoman site about usable lenses indicates that i have 2 lenses listed, and even another lenses i am looking for to buy in the future also listed, so 4- lenses are fine to use for Fotoman, and i am sure they are with Shen Hao or Linhof or Horesman equivalent.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by JLP View Post
    There are no such thing as a 4x5 lens. Large Format lenses are just that, lenses that are mounted on a box with a bellows to simplify it a bit.
    They have different focal length and speed but most important they also have different image circle and it is the image circle that is important. A 150mm lens can have anywhere from 140 to 400mm IC depending on the design of the lens.

The point Jesper is making is important if you go with a 6x17 back for your 4X5 it is also important to think about shorter focal lenght lenses as you may not be able to compress your bellows enough to focus at infinity.

A dedicated 6x17 with the propper cone for your lens of choice will be nicer to work with. The disadvantage is that you almost need to dedicate that lens to the 6x17 as mounting, calibrating and removing again takes time.
    That last sentence worried me, so if i choose a lens to attach then it will be a pain in ..s to take it out to use another lens?

JLP
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Depend on your pain treshold
    It will be far slower than to change lenses on a 4x5 and remember you need a cone or helical for each focal length on a dedicated 6x17

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by JLP View Post
    Depend on your pain treshold
    It will be far slower than to change lenses on a 4x5 and remember you need a cone or helical for each focal length on a dedicated 6x17
    About getting helicals or cones it is not a problem, i can buy 10 if needed regardless of price, but then if setup lens and another will take long time then it may stop me, sometimes i am in rush and i have to start on a certain time then i must change a lens due to subject changes, not necessary change during one roll film, but the time of light such as sunsets, because we have very fast time moving and that sunset doesn't last long, so if i shoot with one lens and then i need to change the lens before that golden time or the best time is gone then it may be an issue, can you tell me from your experience how long it takes if i have 2 lenses with their cones to change swap between both on one 6x17 body?

JLP
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I don't have any experience with the Fotoman 6x17 (Wish i did) but have had a DaYi which i regretably sold but changing lenses if they are already mounted does not take much longer than it does on a 4x5
    4 screws i think you need to unscrew and screw back in and you should be good to go.
    A minute no more.

LJH

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Quote Originally Posted by TareqPhoto View Post
    Nice, good you posted those links, will help a lot.

In fact i was planning on Fotoman one and found one with good price even very expensive, but then your link of Shen Hao is getting same to that price, now i don't know if better to go with Shen Hao which has enough movements or with Fotoman and i am not sure it has any movement even just shift?

The table from Fotoman site about usable lenses indicates that i have 2 lenses listed, and even another lenses i am looking for to buy in the future also listed, so 4- lenses are fine to use for Fotoman, and i am sure they are with Shen Hao or Linhof or Horesman equivalent.
    Rise/fall (not shift as these are incorrectly named) is my least used movement on my Shen 617. The really important movements for me are front tilt and swing, as well as rear tilt. All three of these movements allow focus control. I can control the plane of focus to either minimise diffraction, or to maximise what I can get in focus. The rear tilt allows me to emphisise foreground elements when using WA lenses. The Fotoman/Linhof/DaYi/Gaoersi designs just don't offer these benefits. They're good for point'n'shoot, or for scenes where you don't need focus plane control, but that was too limiting for me.

Which brings me to an important (to me) issue: I use a 72mm lens on my 617. You won't be able to use this on a 4x5 roll film back. You'll possibly struggle with a 90mm. Thus, again, they're way too limiting for me. I can use any of my lenses between 72mm and 400mm (Fujinon 400t) with ease.

LJH

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    You should also consider the volume of space additional cones take up in your pack.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by LJH View Post
    Rise/fall (not shift as these are incorrectly named) is my least used movement on my Shen 617. The really important movements for me are front tilt and swing, as well as rear tilt. All three of these movements allow focus control. I can control the plane of focus to either minimise diffraction, or to maximise what I can get in focus. The rear tilt allows me to emphisise foreground elements when using WA lenses. The Fotoman/Linhof/DaYi/Gaoersi designs just don't offer these benefits. They're good for point'n'shoot, or for scenes where you don't need focus plane control, but that was too limiting for me.

Which brings me to an important (to me) issue: I use a 72mm lens on my 617. You won't be able to use this on a 4x5 roll film back. You'll possibly struggle with a 90mm. Thus, again, they're way too limiting for me. I can use any of my lenses between 72mm and 400mm (Fujinon 400t) with ease.
    So do you mean if i use 72/90mm then it is better i go with fotoman for example or dedicated 6x17 body than using LF on 4x5 or larger format for those wide lenses?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by LJH View Post
    You should also consider the volume of space additional cones take up in your pack.
    It may be something to think about, but it will not be a big issue, i do carry many bags and it is not making a problem for me to have either big large bag to include cones or to have an additional bag just for lenses+cones.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin