Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,536   Posts: 1,544,215   Online: 862

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by NB23 View Post
    There is no substitute for the Xpan, the greatest camera ever created.
    Stuff and nonsense. All that can be done with an Xpan can be done at lower cost with a humble Century Graphic. And more can be done with a Century than with an Xpan. The Century offers a much wider range of focal lengths and greater cropping opportunities.

This isn't to denigrate the Xpan or the Alpa 12. Both are extremely well made and robust, are lovely artifacts. Users love both and its easy to understand why. But a Century Graphic is more capable and much less expensive.

Shooter
    35mm
    Are you joking?

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fromm View Post
    Stuff and nonsense. All that can be done with an Xpan can be done at lower cost with a humble Century Graphic. And more can be done with a Century than with an Xpan. The Century offers a much wider range of focal lengths and greater cropping opportunities.

This isn't to denigrate the Xpan or the Alpa 12. Both are extremely well made and robust, are lovely artifacts. Users love both and its easy to understand why. But a Century Graphic is more capable and much less expensive.
    True, more detail, and wider panoramic too if you add strips or 35mm

A little bulkier but can't beat the price!

I still think the Mamiya 7ii is better, better lenses (can't dispute this even if you want to, everyone knows they are the sharpest best MF lenses ever made, and you can both use 35mm and 120 in them, the 120 gives you more vertical surface area even if you plan to crop it in panoramic, and you have the option of no film gate so you can expose on the sprockets for that "Lomo" look but better definition images than any Lomo.

Price is higher, but less used than the xpan... And more lens options
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Are you joking?
    No he is not. The X-Pan is a great camera, but it is not the only camera that can take a great panorama photograph. WideLux also can do the job.
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirius Glass View Post
    No he is not. The X-Pan is a great camera, but it is not the only camera that can take a great panorama photograph. WideLux also can do the job.
    Can I add my expert advice too? An Iphone 5 is also damn fine and unbeatable panoramic camera in many aspects.

*yawn*.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    True, more detail, and wider panoramic too if you add strips or 35mm

A little bulkier but can't beat the price!

I still think the Mamiya 7ii is better, better lenses (can't dispute this even if you want to, everyone knows they are the sharpest best MF lenses ever made, and you can both use 35mm and 120 in them, the 120 gives you more vertical surface area even if you plan to crop it in panoramic, and you have the option of no film gate so you can expose on the sprockets for that "Lomo" look but better definition images than any Lomo.

Price is higher, but less used than the xpan... And more lens options

For some reason, you really sound like a guy that doesn't own a Mamiya 7 and that has never tried a Xpan system.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    There are also panoramic cameras that have the lens move. Like the Widelux.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Widelux
    "Photography, like surfing, is an infinite process, a constantly evolving exploration of life."
    Aaron Chang

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Are you joking?
    Absolutely not. 2.25" x 3.25" is larger than 24 x 65 mm. The humble Century Graphic accepts a wider range of focal lengths than the Xpan. See http://www.galerie-photo.com/telecha...2011-03-29.pdf It has 19 mm of front rise. It costs much less. The only drawback is that for all lenses but the one its rangefinder is set up for the Century should be focused on the ground glass; this makes using it hand-held nearly impossible.

You sound like a person who's never used one or thought hard about what one can do.

Shooter
    35mm
    Using a 4x5 for my work, I'd have a nervous breakdown after the second change of back.
    You saw my picture I posted earlier? The rainbow was there for 10 seconds and it vanished. My crown graphic would have worked against me so much at that moment that I think I'd have pitched it on the ground so hard you wouldn't believe it.

We have different photographic styles therefore we define "ultimate" differently. But no way a mamiya beats a xpan and there's no way a 4x5 pano is as performing as an xpan except for people who value looking at prints with a loupe.
    No, ansel adam's not my idol.

Shooter
    Pinhole
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fromm View Post
    Thanks for the bad news. It should now work, please try again. The link is still http://1drv.ms/1pvlksm
    I tried, but it still says:

"Because you're accessing sensitive info, you need to verify your password."

It wants me to sign in with some sort of Microsoft account. That I won't do (even if I had one).
    Don't know where or what it is.
    Can't you post the image here in this thread instead?
    "Have fun and catch that light beam!"
    Bert from Holland
    my blog: http://thetoadmen.blogspot.nl
    my Linkedin pinhole group: http://tinyurl.com/pinholegroup

* I'm an analogue enthusiast, trying not to fall into the digital abyss.
    * My favorite cameras: Hasselblad SWC, Leica SL, Leica M7, Russian FKD 18x24, Bronica SQ-B and RF645, Rolleiflex T2, Nikon F4s, Agfa Clack and my pinhole cameras

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin