Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 76,239   Posts: 1,679,973   Online: 1058

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I saw the pic in the link on my ipad with no problems or agreements.
    My blog / photo website: http://frankfoto.jimdo.com/

Openly biased and unabashedly
    pro film and wet darkroom

Shooter
    Pinhole
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fromm View Post
    Bert, I believe you. I just checked again and the file should be accessible to anyone who has the link. The link is still http://1drv.ms/1pvlksm

If you haven't closed your browser since this nonsense began, please close it (all the way, don't just close a tab), restart it and try again. Sorry for the inconvenience.
    I closed and reopened my browser and it worked (thanks for the help).
    And a beautiful image it is. You mentioned a 38/4.5 Biogon lens. This is the same (fixed) lens as on the Hasselblad SWC, isn't it?
    Is the vignetting from the lens barrel or a hood, or is the image circle to small for this size negative?
    Thanks,
    Bert
    Last edited by TheToadMen; 06-25-2014 at 02:22 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    "Have fun and catch that light beam!"
    Bert from Holland
    my blog: http://thetoadmen.blogspot.nl
    my Linkedin pinhole group: http://tinyurl.com/pinholegroup

"I enjoy vintage cameras as “users,” rather than imprisoning them in some display case"

My favorite cameras: Mamiya C330f, Nikon S2, Hasselblad SWC, Fuji GSW690 II, Leica SL, Leica M7, Russian FKD 18x24, Bronica SQ-B and RF645, Rolleiflex T, Nikon F4s, Olympus Pen FT, Agfa Clack and my pinhole cameras.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

Panorama camera versus say a standard cropped out 35mm / 120 format camera.

Quote Originally Posted by NB23 View Post
    For some reason, you really sound like a guy that doesn't own a Mamiya 7 and that has never tried a Xpan system.
    My do own the Mamiya 7ii but I have not used the xpan camera, but I'm still correct that the lenses are technically better on the Mamiya, I doubt very much that any eye could distinguish between them however, they are both excellent modern lens systems.

I've shot the Mamiya many times for panoramics, and a few times even without the film gate insert that blocks the sprockets.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1403695952.141662.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	100.0 KB 
ID:	90161
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1403695958.141156.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	168.5 KB 
ID:	90162

I also own a 6x12 back for my 4x5
    Last edited by StoneNYC; 06-25-2014 at 08:12 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: added info

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Bert, the lens is a 38/4.5 Biogon that I extracted from an AGI F.135 aerial camera. The late Steve Grimes put it in a Copal #0 for me. This is the same lens as sold with all vintages of Super Wide 'blads except the most recent.

The vignetting is due to the lens. It is made to cover 80 mm, in fact covers 84 mm sharply and illuminates 86 mm. It absolutely positively won't cover 2.25" x 3.25" (6x9 in metric) but will nearly cover 24 x 82. When cropped to 24 x 82 the last couple of mm in the corners aren't there at all.

Shooter
    Pinhole
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fromm View Post
    Bert, the lens is a 38/4.5 Biogon that I extracted from an AGI F.135 aerial camera. The late Steve Grimes put it in a Copal #0 for me. This is the same lens as sold with all vintages of Super Wide 'blads except the most recent.

The vignetting is due to the lens. It is made to cover 80 mm, in fact covers 84 mm sharply and illuminates 86 mm. It absolutely positively won't cover 2.25" x 3.25" (6x9 in metric) but will nearly cover 24 x 82. When cropped to 24 x 82 the last couple of mm in the corners aren't there at all.
    Then it is the same lens. My Hasselblad SWC is from 1965. Very nice lens (and camera).
    "Have fun and catch that light beam!"
    Bert from Holland
    my blog: http://thetoadmen.blogspot.nl
    my Linkedin pinhole group: http://tinyurl.com/pinholegroup

"I enjoy vintage cameras as “users,” rather than imprisoning them in some display case"

My favorite cameras: Mamiya C330f, Nikon S2, Hasselblad SWC, Fuji GSW690 II, Leica SL, Leica M7, Russian FKD 18x24, Bronica SQ-B and RF645, Rolleiflex T, Nikon F4s, Olympus Pen FT, Agfa Clack and my pinhole cameras.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Right, Bert, the same lens. I remember how delighted you were when you saw your first shots with y'r SWC. Your happiness brought back memories. I tried out my 38 Biogon as soon as it came back from Steve and was so pleased with the results that I couldn't bring myself to use any other lens for nearly two months.

Shooter
    Med. Format Pan

Horizon horizontal angle corrected-120 degr.

Quote Originally Posted by David Brown View Post
    An Xpan with a 90mm lens, and a cropped 6x7 from say, an RB67 wiht a 90mm will look the same. of course. The Xpan also has a 45mm lens, much wider. However, I have a 50mm lens for the RB67, and so get very close by simply cropping and using a slice of the negative that's 1" x 2.25'.

On the other hand, I also use a swing-lens Horizon that takes a rotating panoramic picture covering (IIRC) 120 degrees. It is a totally different animal.
    dont even think about the horizon compact. its a total mess, non-focussable cam with reduced exposure times an apertures. Idiotic! Only lomo can have such a crazy idea. Not knowing how such a camera must work.
    adox and mk-panorama-system is thinkg about a 3-lens rotapancam nikon lenses with 120 film 24/28 and 35mm. i have my doubts. it will not be better that roundshot 28/200 and 28/220 outdoors. the latter has longer exposure times added. fixed focus and no shift. until now i have not yet seen really good-quality prints. maybe you. yes the roundshot can be used without tripod which is a big advantage. there are multiple digital 360-pancams(one-shot) in the make. also for video. one or more are high-quality.
    www.3dreal.tk
    www.stereopan.tk
    3dstereoaeropanorama
    swiss alps
    3ds-marspanorama temporarily gone

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Well, if we are going to throw camera creds around... currently I shoot a 4x5 Chamonix F1, a Chamonix Saber, a Leica M9 (when I used to have $$...) regularly. I have the XPan II with all 3 lens, and I have a SWC Biogon and a 617 Shen Hao, plus I HAVE shot a Mamiya 7II with 3 lens for almost 2 years...

If I can keep only one camera, it's likely the XPan. I hate shooting landscape with it now because the the 4x5 and 617 are so much better with the huge negs, and the Leica M9 is better for street if only because it's 18MP digital, but the XPan is just the best combo of fun, usability, high image quality, and small size.
    // I am a Hybrid Photographer, using 4x5, Hasselblad, Leica etc. with digital post-processing workflow.
    http://richardmanphoto.com http://facebook.com/richardmanphoto

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin