Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,002   Posts: 1,524,420   Online: 1027

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Panorama camera versus say a standard cropped out 35mm / 120 format camera.

Hi all just a newbie question here.

I thought of this b/c on the wall panorama can be quite unique than a standard aspect ratio print.

What is the difference in the framing? There are 35mm XPAN. I thought .. If a 6x7 camera with a wide lens can provide a 1:2 aspect ratio as 35mm film by visualling at least masking a bit of the frame. Does a panoramic camera still provide a wider view (left to right)?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    https://www.flickr.com/search/?w=234...N02&q=HolgAgon

That depends on the focal length of the lens. I use a HolgAgon for "panoramic" photographs but they are not wide angle because the lens is a 90 mm. The angle is "normal" even though the images include subject matter further out to the sides (or above and below if used vertically).

The camera simply allows you to make a different shaped "crop" of the world from those of the other formats.

RR

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    "Panaramic" involves two issues:

-) aspect ratio (let's say more than 2.5/1)

-) angle of view (let's say more than 100° in the longer direction)

But there are no fixed definitions.

Shooter
    35mm
    One is a real panoramic and the other is a fake.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by rayonline_nz View Post
    What is the difference in the framing? There are 35mm XPAN. I thought .. If a 6x7 camera with a wide lens can provide a 1:2 aspect ratio as 35mm film by visualling at least masking a bit of the frame. Does a panoramic camera still provide a wider view (left to right)?
    What do you mean by "panoramic camera?" Swing lens camera? Rotating camera (ancient, e.g., Cirkut; modern, e.g., Globuscope)? Roll film camera with a long gate and a rectilinear short focus lens (e.g., Linhof 6x24)?

The Xpan isn't really a 6x7 camera. It is a 35 mm camera with a long gate that uses a rectilinear short focus lens. You don' need no steekin' Xpan. You can get the same results and greater freedom in cropping with a humble Century Graphic.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I will level a tripod and make rotating photos that can be then put together to give a high quality panorama.
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Shooter
    35mm
    It is difficult doing city overseas travel with a large format .... It would also be preferrable to have something to visualise and not stitch frames up. As the Fuji or Linhof 612 or 617 might be too bulky for city overseas travelling, I thought about the Xpan with its wider lens and how does that compare to a 6x7 or 6x9 rangefinder and just visualing mask out of the frame so using a 6x7 or a 6x9 with its wider lens option (such as a Fuji 6x9 with that 40mm I think) or out of interest the Mamiya 7 with its wide lens but it's probably on the too expensive boat for me. It is not in actual terms but generally 24x36mm frame, so 1:2 ratio is like 72mm wide. So a 6x7 or 6x9 can that provide something similar? So you crop the top and/or bottom so you end up a 24mm height. So you are using a 6x7 or 6x9 as a 35mm panoramic camera at a 1:2 ratio. Would a real pano camera at the 1:2 ratio still provide a lens wider left to right than this make shift option? Just want to get an idea as I live in little New Zealand they don't even have these in store nor second hand so it's basically about getting it on their local auctions or overseas auctions. But at the moment I am just pondering this idea.

From what I seen the Fuji panoramic cameras cost at least $2,000US. I imagine the Xpan $1,000US.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by fotch View Post
    I will level a tripod and make rotating photos that can be then put together to give a high quality panorama.
    I've read books by Scott Kelby and he suggest one should take vertical shots to minimise the distortion. That could be quite a no. of frames on film right ... Or do you just take 2 shots horizontal?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Ray, I gave you a hint. Century Graphic. Relatively small, compact, not too heavy and accepts interchangeable lenses and 2 1/4 x 3 1/4 roll holders. No matter how you do it, rectilinear w/a lenses that cover 2x3 won't be cheap. The shortest lenses I use on my Century are 35/4.5 Apo Grandagon (expensive!), 38/4.5 Biogon (ditto), 45/9 CZJ Dagor (unfindable and not cheap), 47/5.6 Super Angulon (not cheap, and neither is the 47/8), and then a couple of 58 - 65 mm lenses. The Biogon almost covers 24 x 82, the very corners are black. The lenses I use on my Century are the reason I gibe "who needs an Xpan?"

Fotch's suggestion of using whatever lens suits you on a 35 mm camera, rotating the camera and stitching the shots is good. You can use a 35 mm camera or a small press camera. FWIW, I have and have even used a Nikon AP-2 panorama head, just shot horizontal. It is written somewhere that for best results the axis of rotation should pass through the lens' front node. The AP-2 and the equivalent Minolta panorama head (the two came from the same small machine shop) put the axis of rotation through the camera's tripod socket. I didn't find the misplaced pan axis a problem, but if the idea bothers you you can mount the camera on a focusing slide on a panorama head.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    duplicate post
    Last edited by Denverdad; 02-23-2014 at 05:15 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin