Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,699   Posts: 1,549,130   Online: 1132

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Another grab. This time a 35mm sized grab that should show infinity focus. Proportions look great.

scanned at 720dpi and saved as 720X1080.

sharpness. This lens is very sharp.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep..to gain that which he cannot lose. Jim Elliot, 1949

http://tonopahpictures.0catch.com

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    A couple more grabs from yesterday's neg. Baxter Sheriff was left over from a movie set. This is Goldfield, NV.

and a 100% crop. Need to understand how to make this crisp.

I understand that the lens is smearing because it's in the wrong position for the image and the speed to come to a perfect merge, I just don't know how to fix it.

Here are the numbers from the Gears.exe program for this lens.

Kia Ora Cirkut Gears - Fri Apr 04 23:20:23 2014

v2.0 10 November 2000
    Original BASIC program by Bob Lang / Al Rosenbaum
    Translated to C++ by Bruce Christie <xtie@xtra.co.nz>

Subject distance measured from: film plane
    Actual focal length of lens: 8.75 inches
    Large gear radius: 4.5 inches
    Diameter of film drum: 3.04 inches
    Center of small gear to lens axis: 2.17 inches
    Center of small gear to film plane: 1.69 inches
    Slit width: 0.344 inches
    Gear pitch: 32

GEAR # SUBJECT LENS PIVOT TO f/ IMAGE
    DISTANCE EXTENSION SUBJECT MULTI- MAGNIF-
    (FEET) (INCHES) DISTANCE PLIER ICATION
    (INCHES)

51 -62.054 -0.100 -747.798 0.99 -0.01
    50 1228.422 0.005 14737.932 1.00 0.00
    49 58.018 0.113 693.108 1.01 0.01
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep..to gain that which he cannot lose. Jim Elliot, 1949

Shooter
    ULarge Format

Another thought about sharpness issues

Jim,

since you mentioned that your #6 is a composite of several cameras, have you checked the film plane in the magazine to see if it matches the ground glass focus? I have worked on cirkut cameras that were off by over 1/8 inch.

Mostly this is a problem with number 10 cameras since the rear bellows is separate from the camera body and can be shimmed to match the film plane.

It might be a bear if the #6 is out of wack that way as you are putting the magazine flush to the back of the camera and twisting it in to place. I have two #8's that were modified by a previous owner so they clip on like a number 10 so the distance could be adjusted but it did change the originality of the machine.

Ron Klein
    Last edited by panoramic; 04-07-2014 at 06:07 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by panoramic View Post
    Jim,

since you mentioned that your #6 is a composite of several cameras, have you checked the film plane in the magazine to see if it matches the ground glass focus? I have worked on cirkut cameras that were off by over 1/8 inch.

Mostly this is a problem with number 10 cameras since the rear bellows is separate from the camera body and can be shimmed to match the film plane.

It might be a bear if the #6 is out of wack that way as you are putting the magazine flush to the back of the camera and twisting it in to place. I have two #8's that were modified by a previous owner so they clip on like a number 10 so the distance could be adjusted but it did change the originality of the machine.

Ron Klein
    Thanks Ron.

Yes, I did check that and it seemed OK. Yesterday I made a series of 6 7" images of some houses up the hill behind me. A good infinity situation. I taped a rule on the bed and changed focus each time by 1 mm. 3mm back from where I had a good visual infinity was the best, but that was on the far edge of the test, so maybe I need to do it over and go even further.

Tonight I made a 42" 280 degree image up in town and the film was fogged.

Safe to say I'm not having much fun with this so far. Need a win.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin