Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,294   Posts: 1,535,555   Online: 1122

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Blog Entries
    Images

#6 Cirkut Outfit. Help!

I have sort of a rough and tumble #6 that I made up of 2 partial outfits. It's a Century RB Cycle Graphic 5X7. All the pieces have been languishing in my upstairs studio until the other day I decided it's rotation on the project list has come. This one is governor, not fan. Motor runs fine.

The original lens is long gone. Bummer. That means I need to do calcs to figure out gears etc.

The lens I think I'd like to begin with is a Wollensak Tasope 10 1/2". Who can help me with the formula to calculate the gear? The big sun gear has 290 teeth. But I'm not at home and don't have the radius of the big gear.

Gears I have available for it are 33, 35, 43, 51, 99. I've got a ton of 5" Aerial Recon film to use up. Easily accomodated to the 6 outfit. I did measure the circumference of the drum. It is 9 9/16ths inch with 3 wraps of film on it.

She won't be pretty, but she'll run! I would love to have the complete mathematical formula that arrives at the number of teeth gear to use. Len Robertson, are you still out there??
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep..to gain that which he cannot lose. Jim Elliot, 1949

http://tonopahpictures.0catch.com

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Jim:

I've got the original BASIC program, but can't run it on an iMac if that'll help.

Charley

Shooter
    35mm

BASIC

You mean BASIC as in software? Wow that seems more antique than the Kodak 35 (circa 1941) I just bought. I learned how to write programs in BASIC in the early 1980s I guess.
    Good luck with the camera. Sounds fabulous.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by c.d.ewen View Post
    Jim:

I've got the original BASIC program, but can't run it on an iMac if that'll help.

Charley
    Charlie, I was able to download the program yesterday but I feel like a teenage girl who can only drive an automatic. The program actually runs in the command prompt window, sort of, but I don't know how to plug in what it's asking for, or where to get the values. Just need someone to help me figure out what it wants and how to do it. Sort of helpless if things don't just run in 'windows' with all the real computer language stuff going on behind the scenes. Jim
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep..to gain that which he cannot lose. Jim Elliot, 1949

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    ^^^ fun stuff..
    Ultimate camera for this "gear head" (automotive nut) photographer.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Gaining on it. Starting to understand how the Lang program runs in the Command Prompt area. Garbage numbers so far, (or not, I wouldn't know) but at least they're changing.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Figuring out what "Perpendicular distance from center of small gear to the LENS AXIS" means is the problem. Measuring from the center of the small gear to the film plane is easy enough, but to two decimal place accuracy? I dunno. Seems to me I dug around on the 'net until I found the underlying math.

Have you read this ?

Charley
    Last edited by c.d.ewen; 04-01-2014 at 05:21 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by c.d.ewen View Post
    Figuring out what "Perpendicular distance from center of small gear to the LENS AXIS" means is the problem. Measuring from the center of the small gear to the film plane is easy enough, but to two decimal place accuracy? I dunno. Seems to me I dug around on the 'net until I found the underlying math.

Have you read this ?

Charley
    No perfectionists at our house Charley! If my wife was one, she married me and had to get over it. I'm just 'ball-parkin' for now. Looks like with the gears I have I can start testing 6" #99, 11" #51 14" #43, and best of all, maybe my 450 Nikkor with the 31,33 set.

You'd be proud of me. The shanks were all 2 short and I'm building extensions. Acceptable run-out so far with the 'last word'.

Hmmm, the old brass first gen. Protar VII has 11" and 14" on it. Wonder if that's what this set was built around?? Maybe I'll get lucky yet. I've got that lens, and it would look fantastic on the camera.

Shooter
    Large Format
    I should have a modified version of the BASIC program set up for a #6 Outfit. I can run it later if you know the exact focal length of the lens. Or I can figure what focal length you lenses will work with.

I would just need to start up an older computer I have it running on when I get back from a class in a few hours.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Jim: You've got a 99 gear? Geez. Just did the calc - 3.156" diameter. The camera's gonna fall off the back of the tripod.

The "last word" on the gears is going to be the squares test.

Charley

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin