Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,000   Posts: 1,524,331   Online: 716

Shooter
    35mm
    Images

Cirkut film these days

I'm still working on getting a Cirkut #10 but in the meantime I've been gathering film. The usual smattering of expired but (supposedly) well kept actual Cirkut film, that I hope test out OK, etc. But this is my latest score and I have high hopes for it:

Anyone else shot this?

Duncan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It's a good find. I haven't used it but have used other aero film in cirkuts and al vistas with good success. Some of the aero film doesn't have a anti halation backing and does tend to flare a bit in the highlights. Curious how it works for you when you use it

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    9.5in is pretty huge, how big is a cirkut?

I use a fair bit of 2405 in 70mm. It's a lot like SFX200 both in its graininess and extended-red sensitivity.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    9.5in is pretty huge
    Not really... There is not a Cirkut, but a range of models. Using films from 5 to 16 inch wide!

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by polyglot View Post
    9.5in is pretty huge, how big is a cirkut?

I use a fair bit of 2405 in 70mm. It's a lot like SFX200 both in its graininess and extended-red sensitivity.
    Yes, 9.5in is not really quite big enough, for a Cirkut #10, which originally used 10 inch film. But close enough, given the lack of alternatives.

How have you found the halation to be with the 70mm version?

Duncan

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    The halation is there, but far less than I expected - examples. In fact once you've shot some of this film, can you please put some examples in the 2405 group ?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    9.5 inch is fine in a #10 cirkut. The 10 was designed to use any film between 6" and 10", and a lot of people used 8" B&W film in a 10 cirkut when they stopped spooling 10" B&W film, or when they didn't need a 10" wide neg. You just cut the spools to fit the film. I make a jig to cut spools and glue them so they are all consistent.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Different aero films had different halation coating on them. You just have to see for the film type. Plus x 2402 has very little, as far as I can tell, but 3404 has it.

Shooter
    Large Format
    There is also the Ilford special film order coming up soon for 2014:
    http://www.ultrafineonline.com/il20ullafouf.html
    Looks like they are offering 8"X100 foot HP5 for $426, and 10"X100 ft. FP4 for $512. Those prices may be shocking, but it seems like the last 8" Verichrome Pan I bought before it was discontinued was about $27 for an approx. 6 foot roll. Of course that was spooled and ready to go in the camera, but the cost per foot of actual film wasn't that much less than the Ilford prices. I've read that Ilford needs a certain number of total rolls ordered by everyone or they won't do a run in that size. I don't know if they have been getting enough orders for 8* and 10* the last couple of years or not. There may be more information on the Ilford website.

Len

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by frobozz View Post
    I'm still working on getting a Cirkut #10 but in the meantime I've been gathering film. The usual smattering of expired but (supposedly) well kept actual Cirkut film, that I hope test out OK, etc. But this is my latest score and I have high hopes for it:

Anyone else shot this?

Duncan
    I still shoot with the Cirkut, but not as I used to. I've got a fair bit of film, and could probably spare some. I also have extra #10's and a #6 Camera that I don't use. Plus heads, gears, Lipari wedge, etc. PM me if there is anything I can help with.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin