Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,502   Posts: 1,543,417   Online: 807

Thread: cirkut gears

Shooter
    Multi Format

cirkut gears

A friend asked me to take a look a an old camera he's had for over 40 years and had purchased at an estate sale back then.It' a #6 Kodak Circut outfit and appears to be in fairly good shape with a few exceptions.It needs to be generally cleaned up,the shutter is stuck open and he doesn't have the winding key or the exposure gears. His question to me is where might he acquire the missing gears and key.So my recourse is to ask the same question here. Are they still around and available to purchase?

Appreciate any thoughts you all might have...
    Don

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Reach out to Jamie Young, I know he is on here sometimes... He has a few various Cirkut cameras, and may know where you can source parts.
    Please check out my website www.amoxomphotography.com and APUG Portfolio .....

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    They show up on ebay from time to time too.

Duncan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks for the suggestions guys.
    Is this camera outfit worth spending money for the missing parts?
    I'm not versed in antique cameras (as you can tell)and appreciate any and all help I can get.
    Don

Shooter
    Large Format
    Cirkuts are a lot of fun and the #6 Outfit is a nice "practical" size, though film can be a bit of a nuisance in that size. A #10 is the nicest Cirkut in actual use and can use 9.5" aerial film without slitting it down, but it is bigger, heavier, and of course much bigger negs and prints - for better or worse.

Gears usually run about $25 each, maybe a bit more now if you get them custom made. I have a lot of extra gears, heads, and other items for #8 and #10. The #6 takes the same gear, but with a slightly longer shaft, so a bit harder to source. The shafts can be replaced, but at that point it might be worth looking into getting the gears custom cut from the start. Ron Klein (a member here) used to do it, but I don't know if he is set up or interested since his move.

Gordon Roth is an amazing older photographer in NJ that might still make gears. I'll ask next time he calls, or can PM with his #. He worked in the Kodak studio in the 50's and knew some of the folks that made the Cirkuts. He also worked in O. Winston Link's studio for a bit. Very interesting to talk to.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Don - I sent you a reply to the message before I saw the thread. The winding keys are available at most good clock shops and easy to find. ebay is your best bet if Gordon Roth and Ron Klein don't want to cut gears anymore. other machine shops can do it with the right specs but will likely be pricey do to setup.
    Whether it's worth it is more about if you want to use the camera or hold it as a collectors item. The 6 outfit is a really nice size but getting and spooling film will be a challenge. I shoot with my 6 outfit and enjoy it but I've figured out the techniques for the process.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jamie young View Post
    The 6 outfit is a really nice size but getting and spooling film will be a challenge.
    Wouldn't it accept common 5" film?

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by AgX View Post
    Wouldn't it accept common 5" film?
    Sure, you just need to make spools and leader to fit. I have lots of 10" spools and leaders and have cut them down for smaller sizes in the past.

The 6.5" size of the #6 Outfit is really nice though. 5" Seems a little small to me now.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm with Mark. the 6.5 size is a nice viewing size. that 1.5" width adds a lot. I have a 5" cirkut which is fun to use but the pictures have a different more intimate feel.
    The 6 outfit only took 6.5" spools from the factory and you would have to figure out spooling to use 5" film. Probably the best way is to add spacers to a 6.5" spool. or you could just set up a jig when spooling to center the film on the leader paper

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin