Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,932   Posts: 1,556,986   Online: 1064

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I am wanting to purchase the Da Yi 6x17 film back for 4x5 cameras. But I keep hearing mixed messages regarding usable focal lengths. Some from this very thread I think.

What I read is that the camera has mechanical vignetting at 180mm and beyond by a quarter inch at least. And you can go as wide as 75mm?

In contrast I have read from one vendor that apparantly the corners are slightly vignetted at 180mm.

And I have seen photographs from one using the back with a 180mm lens that showed no vignetting at all.

Problem being is that most user "reviews" are about 6 years old. Has the design changed which would explain the different results?

Has anyone here purchased a brand new one and used one in the last couple years? Can you share your experiences please?

Does anyone have a website for Da Yi? I can't find one to get my answers straight from them.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Tough crowd here.

Well, I decided that since I don't have a suitable enlarger capable of taking 6x17 frames, a 6x12 roll film holder was a better bet for me. I have a cheap $189 eBay model on the way. I have a machinist modifying a negative carrier for me to take 6x12. I'll move forward from that experience and see if I'll head down the 6x17 path later.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Well, I purchased the cheap Guohuo GH 6 x 12 film back. It was made of plastic and while it didn't appear very durable, it did appear well-made with prescision.

Despite that, the knob didn't appear to be glued or attached as it was incapable of rolling. I had to epoxy it myself. Which was a relatively painless endeavor.

After that, my first roll was completely fogged on the frames. I figured it may have been from where the darkslide comes out of the holder. There is no light trap material there.

The next two rolls I tested proved that. But the tests also proved that it did leak quite a bit there. But also leaked while the darkslide was coimpletely closed without exposing the frame......

Also that light leaked at other places where there shouldn't be any leaks.

The seller claims it was a bad batch from the manufacturer. I am going to go with the Dayi and see how it works out for me.....

Shooter
    Multi Format
    My DaYi from ecbuyonline2008 (http://myworld.ebay.ca/ecbuyonline2008) arrived. Wow. This film back seems to have all metal construction, spring loaded latches hold the two parts together securely. And everything is light tight it would appears. The entire advance assembly even goes into a sloted, and recessed holder that is all foam and felt lined. The Guohuo film holder is a joke compared to this one and when you compare the two, you really cannot understand why the Guohuo is even being sold.

I'll have to test it out this week.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by WayneStevenson View Post
    Well, I purchased the cheap Guohuo GH 6 x 12 film back. It was made of plastic and while it didn't appear very durable, it did appear well-made with prescision.

Despite that, the knob didn't appear to be glued or attached as it was incapable of rolling. I had to epoxy it myself. Which was a relatively painless endeavor.

After that, my first roll was completely fogged on the frames. I figured it may have been from where the darkslide comes out of the holder. There is no light trap material there.

The next two rolls I tested proved that. But the tests also proved that it did leak quite a bit there. But also leaked while the darkslide was coimpletely closed without exposing the frame......

Also that light leaked at other places where there shouldn't be any leaks.

The seller claims it was a bad batch from the manufacturer. I am going to go with the Dayi and see how it works out for me.....
    So you are saying it is a 6x12 holga? Dude, we could sell these to hipsters. They would love them.
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hah. Like a 6x12 Holga Film Back. Build quality of the Holga 120Pan, but the opportunity for sharper glass, and plenty of light leaks.

I am actually impressed and quite releived with the quality of the DaYi. After seeing the GuoHuo, my expectations for a Chinese 6x12 film back were pretty low.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The thing to remember that this is not a single "China Inc." There are plenty who make cheap crap, but there are still quality artisans abound.

Images
    Didjiman, you are obviously right but reputation is everything. Is every American a gun toting redneck who wants to control the world? No, but that is how many in the world view us. All you have to do is look at posts about Americans on this board to see how the actions of a few are plastered on everyone.
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I was just considering buying a 6x12 back and saw on ebay both backs you bought, Wayne. Good to hear that the extra $100 or so dollars for the DaYi gets you a bump up in quality. Let us know if that back is leaky too.

Is the seller of the Guohuo going to accept a return on the "Holga back"?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    "There are plenty who make cheap crap, but there are still quality artisans abound. "
    True, but I see so many rebranded items with slight variations in electronics on eBay, that it's obvious that there are not a lot of factories out there supplying us through eBay.So I did have my suspicions they possibly were being made in the same location with similar effort towards quality. Heh.

"Is the seller of the Guohuo going to accept a return on the "Holga back"? "

He certainly did. He refunded my money back without question, and gave me extra money to cover the shipping back to him. ecbuyonline2008

He / they were such a pleasure to deal with, I bought the DaYi from him. I think I will also be getting a 6x12 viewfinder off of him for my speed graphic. I think I may want to use this hand-held some times.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin