Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,825   Posts: 1,581,982   Online: 874

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Shooter
    Med. Format Pan
    Great stuff Jim, I'm sure most don't realise how difficult these are to do.

Clayton

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by argus
    sunny 16... you're taking a laugh at us :-)

What's the technical reason behind the banding?

G
    I believe the banding is caused by non standard film. I had to cut 9.5" aerial recon film down to 8" and I think it was not playing off the spool correctly. So pressure would build up as the camera tugs on the spool, then it would give way, and pressure starts again. Also the camera is 85 or 90 years old and who knows when it was disassembled and cleaned lubed properly last. I plan to do that before the next shot. Maybe this weekend at "Shooting the West" in Winnemucca. jg
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep..to gain that which he cannot lose. Jim Elliot, 1949

http://tonopahpictures.0catch.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jimgalli
    I plan to do that before the next shot.
    You gotta love a camera where you say, "I'll do this before the next shot". Not the next roll, not the next session--the next shot.

The whole "singular" nature is cool.

"OK, I got my shot for the day. Time to go home and spend a few days developing and printing my negative"

Matt

Shooter
    Multi Format
    As many have suspected --far right of photo--above the trestle bridge --looks very similar to those "sightings " of alien activity . that non descript white blurr ...so where is it you live? area what?
    best to all
    barry

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    By the way Jim,

I assume Tonopah is an Indian name? Given where you live, probably Paiute? Any ideas on what it means?

Matt

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Jim,

I am just sick with envy at all of these great old cameras you locate and find a way to use.

Great looking first effort. But how do you plan to scan the negative to correct the banding?

Sandy

Quote Originally Posted by jimgalli
    He. He. Couldn't resist the title. I made my first ever neg with a #8 Cirkut camera on Saturday. Thought I would share. Warts and all of course. Nobody expect the first try to be perfect. But I'm greatly encouraged. The portions that are good, are really good.

Click on the thumbnail to go have a look at full size. Yes Virginia, that's a thumbnail. The neg is 8" X 74"! Yep, there's banding and smeared areas. Work to do, but this was good enough to get me pretty pumped up!

The view is of Tonopah Nevada. 270 degree rotation. In the print, the areas where the camera ran perfectly are beautifully sharp. I used a 450mm Red Dot Artar at f90. 1/2 sec. exposure. No meter used, sunny 16.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MattCarey
    By the way Jim,

I assume Tonopah is an Indian name? Given where you live, probably Paiute? Any ideas on what it means?

Matt
    "Tonopah" Indian for "no wood / no water" Fits well. Could also mean "hope great white father not make this the reservation because nothing here so he probably will"

Quote Originally Posted by sanking
    Great looking first effort. But how do you plan to scan the negative to correct the banding?
    No plans to try to correct this neg. Ya get what ya get with one of these beasts. I'll address the issues and hope for better next time.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep..to gain that which he cannot lose. Jim Elliot, 1949

http://tonopahpictures.0catch.com

Vegas/mysterious mohave co. az, Big Pine Key Fla.
    Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    now just where in that photo is Tonopah?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    So Jim, How big is the enlarger you're going to use to make a 16X148?

hehehe
    Bob Fowler
    fowler@verizon.net
    Some people are like Slinkies. They're really good for nothing, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Tonopah certainly is the garden spot, isn't it? At least you don't have to worry about trees getting in the way....
    My Verito page

Anyone can appreciate a fine print. But it takes a real photographer to appreciate a fine negative.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin