Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,970   Posts: 1,523,502   Online: 837

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Med. Format Pan
    Jamie

great to see you here!

Looks like this forum might just drag in the members from the original panoramic list and get discussion going again. I think too there is a lot of interest from non panoramic shooters.

Clayton

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Jamie - excellent work. Love the shots of the old tractors, and I'm confident those folks were happy to put their prides and joys on display.
    [COLOR=SlateGray]"You can't depend on your eyes if your imagination is out of focus." -Mark Twain[/COLOR]

Ralph Barker
    Rio Rancho, NM

Shooter
    Large Format
    Wow, after years of dreaming of a Cirkut/pan forum, suddenly it is here. Thanks to CD, Jim, and Sean for getting it going.

I was hesitant to confess I have five Cirkuts, but since Jamie admits to eight, I feel much better. I have a #6 Outfit, a #8 Outfit, a #6 Camera, and a #10 Camera; all F&S internal governor. Plus a Century Camera Company fan governed #10. At the moment, only the #8 Outfit is usable. All the rest need a certain amount of work. Three of these I've cobbled together from parts, so in addition to the cameras, I now have three interesting stories, and extra grey hair. I'm quite proud I resisted Jim's #6 fan Cirkut on eBay yesterday, although it was a struggle.

Jamie - I love your site, especially the tech section and the Rumley Oil Pull tractors picture. The Rumley must be the tractor equivalent to the Cirkut - big, slow, majestic. I would love to hear details on your #16. How you put it together, and what it has been like using it.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Jamie, Your stuff rocks. Great website! I'm inspired. And I have a new deadline. The "great race" of 2006 with all the antique cars will finish a leg in Tonopah NV. on July 5. I'm hoping I can get them to put the cars up in the historic mining district for a Cirkut picture. Hmmm. Lets see, I could do color in the 10 and BW in the 6
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep..to gain that which he cannot lose. Jim Elliot, 1949

http://tonopahpictures.0catch.com

Shooter
    Med. Format Pan
    Quote Originally Posted by jimgalli
    Jamie, Your stuff rocks. Great website! I'm inspired. And I have a new deadline. The "great race" of 2006 with all the antique cars will finish a leg in Tonopah NV. on July 5. I'm hoping I can get them to put the cars up in the historic mining district for a Cirkut picture. Hmmm. Lets see, I could do color in the 10 and BW in the 6
    Jim

these sort of events are fun and a great way to get motivated. Planning is the key if you want success, I usually pre shoot a test and iron out all the bugs so that on the day everything runs sweet.

Get another film back for both cameras then you can run colour and B&W in both. My preference though would be B&W for this type of shot.

Clayton

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I 'm just doing B&W with my cirkuts. I have a roundshot 65 70/220 that I use for color. I scan the 70 mm negs on a cheap epson and join in the middle when required. I tend torward a Hudson river scholl painting color palette anyway, so digital works well for my color work.Most all of my cirkuts are semi operational. The #16 needs some more tuning, and my #10 fan does too. Both my 16 and 10 are the same vintage. Ron Klein has recommended a modified fan, which I want to try. The 16 has so much width that it tends to band, and everyone has said it's very hard not to get at least some banding with the #16 cameras. My 16 came without a gearhead, lense, fan's, gears, etc. I got it on ebay for $1400
    I had the 600 tooth gearhead made in Milwaukee for $600, plus $300 for the base, got a lense for $500,and am also using a 24" artar that I had. Another couple hundred buck for the other stuff, $600 for 400 feet of film and I was ready to go. After developing film from it, everything else seems small.

Jim- Looking forward to seeing the Great race shots this summer. Shoot a bunch before hand and get used to the camera. That helps a lot.
    Ron Klein is on this list, and aside from having a great eye, is absolutely the best cirkut operator and camera repair person there is.His help has been tremendous for me. Looking forward to seeing more of Tonopah

I've been working on getting some al vista cameras working. Anyone shoot with them? I just developed my first neg from a 7-F and it actually worked!
    Jamie Young

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Jamie, I've got a 5" Al-Vista but I've been so busy I haven't even played with it yet. It's a nice complete one but needs some restoration. jg
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep..to gain that which he cannot lose. Jim Elliot, 1949

http://tonopahpictures.0catch.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have no involvement with these folks other than that one of their Cirkut photos of the WTC is hanging in our office. It is specifically labelled "Cirkut Photo" and measures about 10". It could be a digitial print, but looks sharp enough (to me) to be a contact print. :

http://www.lapayne.com/about.htm

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Someone might have already posted the Library of Congress site which has a lot of cirkut pictures but also has video of a cirkut shot including the runaround of a person on the end, plus video of film development and contact printing of a negative. I always wanted a smaller cirkut (#6 or 8), but
    they all seem to be incomplete or to high priced. I do have a 4x10 and an enlarger to make 8x20 prints. I also have an Al-Vista which is complete with all the fans. My first post by the way. The website for the videos:
    http://rs6.loc.gov/ammem/collections...o/pnshoot.html

Shooter
    Large Format
    Harleyman - I finally had time to look at the Library of Congress video clips. Quite interesting! I'd seen the Shooting clip before, but it is worth seeing again. I hadn't seen the Developing or Printing clips. The developing method is one I hadn't heard of. The narration seems to oversimplify what is actually happening, but overall the clips are very good. It is nice someone went to the trouble of producing these. At least on my computer, the MPEG format clips give much better quality than the Quicktime. It is worth the long download time.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin