Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,222   Posts: 1,532,406   Online: 1128

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Blog Entries
    Images

Cirkut list. (another one???)

You knew this was coming didn't you. I know this has been done in the past...but...I think with the analog nature of the Cirkut Camera, APUG may prove to be an enduring place for an updated list of Cirkut owners and their specialties.

I don't have any HTML skills so this will be very simple.

It would be great to follow a format loosely following the questions below:

[COLOR=DarkRed][SIZE=3]1.) How many and what size Cirkut's do you own?

2.) Do you offer any special services to the Cirkut community? Like gears, or parts or restorative / repair services?

3.) How many years involved with this type pano cameras? Are you a collector or a user? Or both?

4.) Website? Pix on line?

5.) Whatever it is that I forgot that someone will remind me of later??
    [/SIZE][/COLOR]

Finally, I know there are a LOT of Cirkut owners that haven't yet made their first Picture. Join the list anyway! Don't be intimidated regardless of your level of involvement.

OK, I'll start us out and that should be enough to qualm anyone elses reservations because of in-experience.

I own 2 1/2 cameras, the 1/2 being for sale here on APUG. I own a #10 that hasn't even arrived yet, and a #6. I just sold the #8 that was the topic of this discussion.

I don't offer any service or specialty other than being an enthusiastic newbie. I'd be happy to teach you all I know but we'd be done in 5 minutes.

I've been involved about 3 years although it's only a few weeks since I finally got to the point of actually using a camera and exposing film. I was busy building a new darkroom big enough to handle what these beasts can do. I consider myself a 'user'! I'm not a collector. I'm not a collector. I'm not a collector. (sorry, I have to keep reminding myself)

My website such as it is: http://tonopahpictures.0catch.com
    The only scan I have online is here at APUG in the discussion mentioned.

So jump onboard. Maybe someone with HTML skills can do a decent job of organizing the list as it grows. If you have pix of your cameras.....post 'em.
    Maybe Len and C. D. Ewen and others can re-direct some of the oldtimers here if they haven't discovered APUG yet.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep..to gain that which he cannot lose. Jim Elliot, 1949

http://tonopahpictures.0catch.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Has anyone ever been hit unexpectedly by a Cirkut camera during its rotation? If so, did it hurt?

Watch out, cameras have a propensity to breed in dark corners - just make sure there aren't any Aero Ektars nearby as freaky mutations might occur...

Lachlan

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    I'll bite, Jim, and keep the forum activity level high.

I own only one working Cirkut - a Folmer & Schwing No 10. I had a very early Century No 10, but sold it to someone who would be far more likely to have the time to restore it than I. The Century Cirkuts are really pretty, with red bellows and wooden front standard; the F&S/Kodak versions are a bit more 'industrial' looking. I also have a non-functional No 8.

After watching for Cirluts on eBay for some time, I jumped on this No 10, and am very glad I did. A professional photographer from WVA (Harlan - his last name eludes me right now) was selling his backup camera. The machine worked well, straight out of the box. If any Cirkut wannabe can find the same situation, I'd highly recommend taking advantage of it.

I'd be curious as to how others came to be interested in Cirkuts. I've had a fascination for panoramic photography for years, but didn't indulge in any until digital cameras were available. After several years of 'doing digital' and experimenting with scans from Brooks Veriwide, Noblex and Horizon, I realized that analog was the most pleasing to me. I still do a 'quickie' digital every now and again, but the grand results that come out of a Cirkut are the most pleasing.

I don't have a website, and have to confess that I've never shown anyone a single Cirkut photo I've ever taken. For the most part, they've been experiments, e.g., matching gears and lenses, trying different developers, testing speeds and perspectives.

I will leave you with a link to a famous pano of mine, however, in the hopes that you'll find it amusing. It's a 360 degree Infra-red pano I took 5-6 years ago with an early digital camera, using early stitching software. Look all the way to the right, and you'll see my wife sitting on some stairs. This is the one and only time she ever feigned interest and accompanied me on a photo shoot. The reason it's famous is because it was the occasion on which she uttered her most memorable quote: "Why can't you take ordinary pictures, like everyone else?"

Here's the link.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by c.d.ewen
    "Why can't you take ordinary pictures, like everyone else?"
    Been there, heard that. Shortly followed by "I wish you'd take some pretty color pictures like you used to."
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep..to gain that which he cannot lose. Jim Elliot, 1949

http://tonopahpictures.0catch.com

Shooter
    Med. Format Pan
    Quote Originally Posted by c.d.ewen

I'd be curious as to how others came to be interested in Cirkuts.
    I saw a Cirkut print on a wall...........that led me on a long path researching the prints, then cameras, the photographers and then finding someone to give me hands on training in the process. That was the key to getting a system up and running fairly quickly.

My motivation was to earn a living shooting them, I discovered early on that Cirkut photographers the world over had been extremely successful making a living shooting these beasts. They were also successful in keeping competition down by not training anyone. For a long long time if you asked a Cirkut shooter for training, even if you were staff they usually refused. Afterall you could set up in the same town and do the same job, right? I've heard that same story over and over again. Now they're all gone and the knowledge is thinly spread across a few individuals. I'd guess at less than 20 worldwide who are proficient at the whole process. Ten years ago that number would've been more than double but I know of a few top shooters that have since passed on.

For the record I only have one working camera, a #8..........yes I did bid on the #16 hoping to steal it. I don't have a #10 like the other guys because I like the wide angle performance of the #8 and I also prefer slightly smaller prints.

I'd be happy with a #5.....great little compact camera and light on film too.

Clayton

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    These sound extremely cool...had my interest in photography been this high when I was first employed and had more time and money, I'd probably make a stab at it. As it is...well, hopefully I can see Jim's someday.

Here's a question--can you guys convince Sean to open a panoramic gallery where bigger files could be uploaded? My guess would be no (slippery slope and all--panoramic today, ULF tomorrow...)

Matt

Shooter
    Med. Format Pan
    Quote Originally Posted by MattCarey

Here's a question--can you guys convince Sean to open a panoramic gallery where bigger files could be uploaded? My guess would be no (slippery slope and all--panoramic today, ULF tomorrow...)

Matt
    Would be a good idea Matt, at least full screen width would be good. The reduced height means the files aren't going to be any bigger than what's allowed now.

Showing panoramics has always been a problem in any media. I've seen slide projections where they use 3 projectors side by side and a section of film in each. The film isn't simply cut up and projected butted up, apparently it doesn't work. Each section has a small overlap so there has to be a density change for those bits and the projectors have to be perfectly aligned.

The idea is to use the full height of a projector screen so a few of them are used. High aspect ratio panoramas need 5+ projectors and screens.

Clayton

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

cirkuts

I really like shooting with cirkuts as well
    I have eight of them. One of each size and two#6 and #8 outfits. I've shot with every size but the #6 cirkut (not the oufit) Maybe this year for that.
    I've been doing mostly alt printing with them lately. There are some photos of my printing stuff on my site, which needs updating and redesign.
    http://www.jamieyoungphoto.com/Fineart1.html
    I haven't done a lot in the last year for various reasons, but hope to this spring and summer.
    I've started a small cirkut tech section at
    http://www.jamieyoungphoto.com/jamie...0%20cikt2.html
    Thanks for starting this forum. Great idea
    Jamie Young in Madison, WI

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Wow! Now I'm really impressed! Nice stuff, Jamie.
    My Verito page

Anyone can appreciate a fine print. But it takes a real photographer to appreciate a fine negative.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Moe on cirkuts

First, Thanks Will!.

I didn't answer all the questions so:
    I guess I'm a user first and collector next. I have a bunch of al vistas as well.
    I've been shooting with cirkuts for about eight years, and can operate them pretty well, at least some times. I've learned a lot of the various things that can cause trouble.If I can help at all with advice, I would be happy to.
    Best, Jamie Young

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin