Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,955   Posts: 1,522,817   Online: 987

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images

My Cirkut almost has me trained

Five months ago, I entered into a relationship with a Cirkut 10. We met on one of those internet dating sites. I believe it was call e-bay. After a 6 day wooing period, the Cirkut became mine.

The early days of our relationship were filled with the headiness of new found love. We got along great. The film loaded easily. Her motor ran like clock work. Little things like banding on the negative and uneven development seemed like minor problems.

The early bliss did not last, however. Soon, I found out just how temperamental the Cirkut can become. The smooth running motor sometimes lurched. Sometimes it didn’t start at all. The film would feed unevenly, etc. Some serious relationship advice was needed.

We enrolled in counseling on several internet sites dealing with panoramic photography. I found out that my Cirkut is unlike any other camera I have had a relationship with. She has special needs. The film has to be loaded just so. The motor must be wound just right--tight, but not too tight. I have to wind her motor ever few days, if I neglect her, she won’t run smoothly. She has a sweet spot on the side of the motor box--a gentle pressure and she runs smoothly, with minimal banding. Try as I might, I cannot eliminate all banding. But, I am beginning to accept her little imperfections.

We have now entered into the next phase of our relationship. Hopefully it will be long term. I look after her needs--a few drops of sewing machine oil here, a gentle pressure there, …. We have finally started making photographs together. They’re not perfect, but they’re getting better.

I am holding our first born in the picture below.

Allen
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails pano-2 pdn.png  
    Last edited by Allen Friday; 04-17-2006 at 12:20 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: add image

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Great story Allen. Thank you for sharing.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    They certainly are a challenge. What kind of alt processes are you doing with the big negs? Looking forward to seeing more. I tend to stay away from big clear skies whenever possible. Another challenge is when the sun is going in and out of the clouds while the camera is scanning. The more you do it the better it gets.
    Jamie young

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Allen Friday
    Five months ago, I entered into a relationship with a Cirkut 10. We met on one of those internet dating sites. I believe it was call e-bay. After a 6 day wooing period, the Cirkut became mine.
    Hehe, 6 days ? Sounds like this girl who I knew in High School.....
    Regardless, an excellent image you have there. I am envious.

Shooter
    Med. Format Pan
    Good work Allen..........keep at it. It took me 30 negatives to get my camera and the rest of the processed honed in, you have to be persistant. I found my camera always ran better with a warm up, let it rotate a few times without pulling film.

Clayton

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Blog Entries
    Images

DON'T FIX THAT BANDING...

I'm looking deep into the future (like 6 months from now) in my crystal ball, and I see banding and other little imperfections as undeniable proof of a 100% analog / mechanical process that drives the price sky high at any fine art auction.

...oh, if only it were so.

Nice shot. Bravo.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep..to gain that which he cannot lose. Jim Elliot, 1949

http://tonopahpictures.0catch.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Proof that there's nothing wrong with mail-order brides. Also proof that they're ALL tempermental.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin