Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,943   Posts: 1,557,614   Online: 1196

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    North Carolina, USA (transplanted from Seattle)
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Ed Workman
    Thanks for the help Don
    Where can I find Exeter paper? I have been saving 120 backing paper toward an attempt to glue them on a bias to make wider strips and distribute the lap, but that is a grasping-at-straws thing.
    I have also thought about a slitter to no good end- My best shot is to rig a razor blade(s) and attempt to pull the film thru it/them. Again, I just gotta get huevos to overcome the fear-of-frustration factor
    regards
    Ed
    Semper/Exeter Paper Company

If you drop in over at nelsonfoto.com and search for "Spartus Full-Vue" you'll see a slitter setup that was made to convert 120 to 127; something similar could be fabricated for cutting larger film -- and yes, it's pretty close to pulling the film through a slot with razor blades at the correct position. Also, look around for designs for "film slitters" for making 16 mm or Minox film from 120 or 35 mm -- there are a lot of them out there, and what works for them will work for you. There was also a posting there with a direct source for the correct Exeter paper product to make backing, and I gave some basic information on how you'd go about fabricating spools if you have one to copy or only dimensions.

I'd suggest getting some blades for rotary cutters (from an office supply store) and a plastic rolling pin (from a kitchen store) -- pull the film from spool to spool over the rolling pin with pressure on a bar holding the rolling blades, and you'll get clean cuts without scratching the film, and there won't be so much drag you'll give yourself blisters operating the cutter. Build this into a light tight box, and you won't even have to stand in the dark while you crank the handle...

Do a *really* good job with this, and you could actually make some money selling "reloads" for various formats, backing and paper for folks to roll onto their own spools. Film for Classics used to get $30/roll for 122 and 124, with spools -- I bet you could get $15/roll for reloads; if you get into fabricating spools, you'd sell them separately, which would help sell film (by keeping costs down, and by making spools available for cameras that don't have two).

And don't think I haven't thought about doing exactly this -- it'd cost a few hundred bucks to start up, though, and I don't have the money; nor do I think I could handle big rolls of film in my bathroom/darkroom that's got enough light leakage I can see a rough outline of my hand after only a couple minutes...
    Photography has always fascinated me -- as a child, simply for the magic of capturing an image onto glossy paper with a little box, but as an adult because of the unique juxtaposition of science and art -- the physics of optics, the mechanics of the camera, the chemistry of film and developer, alongside the art in seeing, composing, exposing, processing and printing.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Ed Workman
    Where can I find Exeter paper? ...
    Hi Ed,

If Semper/Exeter Paper Company has a large minimum order size (don't know - haven't tried them), you can buy it by the foot (25 foot minimum) from:

Cartoon Colour Company, Inc.
    9024 Lindblade Street
    Culver City, California 90232-2584
    USA Phone: 800-523-3665
    Fax: 310-838-8467

http://www.cartooncolour.com/catalog...roducts_id=302

Ask for Pookie.

Cheers,
    Clarence
    Last edited by CRhymer; 05-24-2006 at 04:29 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: added info

Shooter
    Med. Format Pan
    Thanks very much for your help. My son has access to some machine tools and tonite we will discuss spool making, so I'll add slitter building to the list- should be able to come up with something good.
    regards
    Ed

Shooter
    Med. Format Pan
    I meant to express thanks (profusely) to both Doug and Clarence, and I do
    Ed

Shooter
    Med. Format Pan
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick Zentena
    If you have a spool and backing paper then you can roll your own 116/616 using 70mm unperforated. Film choice isn't that great today but J&C had/has Efke in B&W.
    why? agfa has newest avicolor film from 100 to 800 asa/70mm perforated and unperforated. arent there kodak unperforated film. fuji?

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by DBP View Post
    The number used to indicate negative size, and thus film, before Kodak started numbering films.

1 =120

The Brownie's, Bullseyes, Kodets, and Cartridge Kodaks follow different numbering schemes.
    Some of the early 120 Kodaks used the #2 designation.

122 and 116/616 are the two sizes I wish someone would produce at a reasonable price ($10 - $15)
    It would be AWESOME if someone could start spooling #122 film again. The first difficulty is spools; the second is finding someone willing to slit the right width of stock; the third is getting backing paper printed with frame numbers. And then, of course, there is assembly. :-)

Ed
    "I only wanted Uncle Vern standing by his new car (a Hudson) on a clear day. I got him and the car. I also got a bit of Aunt Mary's laundry, and Beau Jack, the dog, peeing on a fence, and a row of potted tuberous begonias on the porch and 78 trees and a million pebbles in the driveway and more. It's a generous medium, photography." -- Lee Friedlander

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    I solved the problem in the late 70's by cutting down 11x14 sheet film and loading them one at a time in a changing bag, something I figured out from looking at the contact prints of Josef Sudek. Then Kodak made me a special order of sheet film, with their own fancy yellow boxes. Now the camera is completely dead, but I look back with pleasure. I did a bunch of publications with it -- The Italian Garden (Abrams), Morbid Symptoms, Arcadia and the French Revolution,( Princeton Architectural Press,) Genius Loci (Canadian Museum of Contemporary Photograph and La Campagna Romana (Editions Rene Blouin). It was a good way to work, because the process slowed you down and you had to make every shot count. There is also more Panoram images in a catalogue called Utopia/Dystopia, National Gallery of Canada.

Shooter
    Med. Format Pan

Great Pleasure to see you here-Geoffrey!

Italian Gardens is-to my mind- the best panoramic pictures book, even infront of the large ones.

Beside the cam and the pictures its the special printing and the people who helped him make this true.
    Whats the exaxt size if the film and how long could it be?
    How long was your film? Changing after every shot?
    Which technical data has the Panoram 3A: lens, exposure times, image-size, filmlenght.

I am sure you will find someone who can repair it.
    www.3dreal.tk
    www.stereopan.org
    under reconstruction
    3dstereomedia
    aeropanorama
    marspanoramas

Shooter
    Med. Format Pan
    Quote Originally Posted by Donald Qualls View Post
    Semper/Exeter Paper Company

If you drop in over at nelsonfoto.com and search for "Spartus Full-Vue" you'll see a slitter setup that was made to convert 120 to 127; something similar could be fabricated for cutting larger film -- and yes, it's pretty close to pulling the film through a slot with razor blades at the correct position. Also, look around for designs for "film slitters" for making 16 mm or Minox film from 120 or 35 mm -- there are a lot of them out there, and what works for them will work for you. There was also a posting there with a direct source for the correct Exeter paper product to make backing, and I gave some basic information on how you'd go about fabricating spools if you have one to copy or only dimensions.

I'd suggest getting some blades for rotary cutters (from an office supply store) and a plastic rolling pin (from a kitchen store) -- pull the film from spool to spool over the rolling pin with pressure on a bar holding the rolling blades, and you'll get clean cuts without scratching the film, and there won't be so much drag you'll give yourself blisters operating the cutter. Build this into a light tight box, and you won't even have to stand in the dark while you crank the handle...

Do a *really* good job with this, and you could actually make some money selling "reloads" for various formats, backing and paper for folks to roll onto their own spools. Film for Classics used to get $30/roll for 122 and 124, with spools -- I bet you could get $15/roll for reloads; if you get into fabricating spools, you'd sell them separately, which would help sell film (by keeping costs down, and by making spools available for cameras that don't have two).

And don't think I haven't thought about doing exactly this -- it'd cost a few hundred bucks to start up, though, and I don't have the money; nor do I think I could handle big rolls of film in my bathroom/darkroom that's got enough light leakage I can see a rough outline of my hand after only a couple minutes...
    xkaes on ebay had and make slitters in almost every size and configurations. one cut, multiple cuts.
    Its the same person like shown on subminiatures. he has a wonderful site. maybe temporarily not on ebay.
    I have a 70mm/120/220-slitter, not yet used but will soon in the next time.
    www.3dreal.tk
    www.stereopan.org
    under reconstruction
    3dstereomedia
    aeropanorama
    marspanoramas

Shooter
    Med. Format Pan

Filmslitter-Discussion

www.3dreal.tk
    www.stereopan.org
    under reconstruction
    3dstereomedia
    aeropanorama
    marspanoramas

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin