Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,686   Posts: 1,482,319   Online: 969
      
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 17
  1. #1

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Syracuse, NY
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    350
    Images
    5

    J&C and other Cirkut film

    I'm wondering what most cirkut people are doing for cirkut film
    Has anyone used the J&C film?
    I've been using kodak cirkut Verichrome pan with my #8, which I use the most, Aerial film for my#5 and #10, and forte 400 for my #16. I got 400' when I finally got my camera going. I've been cutting down the 8" cirkut film for my 6 outfit.
    But I want to be more careful using up my 8" cirkut film now that it isn't made anymore, and thought I would try the J&C film. I 'm doing a cirkut demo at a show opening I'm having in june, and don't want to waste factory spooled film on that,so I thought I would consider trying it.

    Also, is anyone interested in getting 6 1/2" rolls? It's worth mentioning- I would be interested in a few. I like the 6 outfit for landscape work.
    Jamie

  2. #2

    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    601
    Quote Originally Posted by jamie young
    I'm wondering what most cirkut people are doing for cirkut film
    Has anyone used the J&C film?
    I've been using kodak cirkut Verichrome pan with my #8, which I use the most, Aerial film for my#5 and #10, and forte 400 for my #16. I got 400' when I finally got my camera going. I've been cutting down the 8" cirkut film for my 6 outfit.
    But I want to be more careful using up my 8" cirkut film now that it isn't made anymore, and thought I would try the J&C film. I 'm doing a cirkut demo at a show opening I'm having in june, and don't want to waste factory spooled film on that,so I thought I would consider trying it.

    Also, is anyone interested in getting 6 1/2" rolls? It's worth mentioning- I would be interested in a few. I like the 6 outfit for landscape work.
    Jamie
    We also have our Classic 400 (Forte 400) coming in 8 inch by 100 foot rolls around the end of June. It is listed under Cirkut film on the web site. However, this is on sheet film base and not roll film base like the Efke 100 Cirkut film.
    www.jandcphoto.com

  3. #3

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Syracuse, NY
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    350
    Images
    5
    Thanks for your reply. I think it' s really great that you are making so many odd sizes available! I 'm curious why you decided to go sheet thickness on the 8" film. I've run thicker film through cirkuts, but it does have issues.
    It depends a little on the camera. I've run sheet thickness Bergger (forte) film through my 6 outfit with mostly ok luck. I have some photowarehouse (ilford) 16", which doesn't do well at all in the big camera, and I plan on cutting the rest to use in a 7E al vista swing lense camera I've just started using. Generally it's best to use film on the same thickness base as 120 film. I got forte to cut 120 base film in 16" widths, which works well. The thick base doesn't tend to unwind smoothly past the slit and can cause speed changes and slur problems. It keeps more of a shape memory. One thing that helps is letting the spooled film sit for a while before using it. As a user, I would recommend thin base only for cirkut use.
    Best, Jamie

  4. #4

    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    601
    Quote Originally Posted by jamie young
    Thanks for your reply. I think it' s really great that you are making so many odd sizes available! I 'm curious why you decided to go sheet thickness on the 8" film. I've run thicker film through cirkuts, but it does have issues.
    It depends a little on the camera. I've run sheet thickness Bergger (forte) film through my 6 outfit with mostly ok luck. I have some photowarehouse (ilford) 16", which doesn't do well at all in the big camera, and I plan on cutting the rest to use in a 7E al vista swing lense camera I've just started using. Generally it's best to use film on the same thickness base as 120 film. I got forte to cut 120 base film in 16" widths, which works well. The thick base doesn't tend to unwind smoothly past the slit and can cause speed changes and slur problems. It keeps more of a shape memory. One thing that helps is letting the spooled film sit for a while before using it. As a user, I would recommend thin base only for cirkut use.
    Best, Jamie
    I agree that roll film base is best for Cirkut use, that's why I indicated that is was sheet film base as a caution. We ended up with this film as a result of a special order for 24 inch x 100 foot rolls of film. The remaining 16 inches from the master roll were cut into 8 inch rolls. Possibly good for Cirkut and also good for those that want to cut their own sizes.

    The Efke film works well from all reports from other Cirkut users being on the roll film base.

    Thanks
    www.jandcphoto.com

  5. #5

    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Shooter
    Med. Format Pan
    Posts
    27
    [QUOTE=jamie young]I'm wondering what most cirkut people are doing for cirkut film
    Has anyone used the J&C film?

    My project for this afternoon is too see if I can get my #10 running.
    I hope to have an answer by Monday. My first tries will be with some outdated aero-film.
    If that works I'll be using some J&C 100 10 inch roll film
    regards

  6. #6
    jimgalli's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Tonopah Nevada
    Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Posts
    3,368
    Blog Entries
    2
    Images
    154
    Jamie, My single Circut pic so far was done on 9 1/2" aerial film cut down to 8". But I have bought quite a bit of the 10" Cirkut film which I will be using in my 10 when I get time to get it on line. Would you like me to cut you 12 feet and mail it to you for testing. The film itself is wonderful. I've used quite a lot in my 8X10.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep..to gain that which he cannot lose. Jim Elliot, 1949

    http://tonopahpictures.0catch.com

  7. #7

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Syracuse, NY
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    350
    Images
    5
    Jim-did you get the efke from J&C? Just curious how it works, but thanks for the generous offer. tell me your experiences with it. I'll likely get some soon. I need to work on getting my #10 running better first. I have a historical process show coming up soon, and once I'm set with that I want to get my 10 and 16 going better. I was thinking of getting the 8" but only if it was on a thin base. How's it going with getting the camera running?
    Jamie

  8. #8
    jimgalli's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Tonopah Nevada
    Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Posts
    3,368
    Blog Entries
    2
    Images
    154
    Quote Originally Posted by jamie young
    Jim-did you get the efke from J&C? Just curious how it works, but thanks for the generous offer. tell me your experiences with it. I'll likely get some soon. I need to work on getting my #10 running better first. I have a historical process show coming up soon, and once I'm set with that I want to get my 10 and 16 going better. I was thinking of getting the 8" but only if it was on a thin base. How's it going with getting the camera running?
    Jamie
    Yes, it's the J&C Efke 100 Cirkut film. Trying to cut it down is a pain. My 10 is an easy project just as soon as I get some time to do it. So much stuff-so little time. Let me know if you want a piece to play with. Jim
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep..to gain that which he cannot lose. Jim Elliot, 1949

    http://tonopahpictures.0catch.com

  9. #9

    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    7
    Could either of you talk about recutting long rolls of this film? I would like to try to recut the Jandc rolls to make old roll film sizes but where to start. Do you use a roller to roller or a long cutting board?
    Bill

  10. #10

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Syracuse, NY
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    350
    Images
    5
    Mostly I've been using a dewalt miter saw and a jig to cut spooled cirkut film shorter, but I would like to make a roller to roller jig and slice it from whatever size I need to.I haven't had any problem cutting and using cirkut film this way, but I just cut up a few rolls for my 7" al vista swing lense camera, and I believe the nature of the stationary camera and film being moved though the channel, as opposed to moving over a narrow slit of the cirkut, dust becomes a issue,even though I was careful about vacuming the film after cutting. I had a lot of fun using the camera, and want to shoot some more with it. Slicing is much cleaner. Another thing to make though.
    You could make a jig for whaever size you want to use.It's challenging to do things in the dark of this nature, and easy to use jigs are the key.
    I am curious what others are doing as well.
    Jamie

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast


 

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:



Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin