Switch to English Language Passer en langue franÁaise Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,212   Posts: 1,532,005   Online: 1197

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

Tomiyama art camera

Hi!

I wonder if you guys out there have or heard something about Tomiyama's art camera? I would like to know more about tham, like history of the maker Mr Tomiyama and some other things like how many of those had been produced between which year and specially of the 6x24 cm camera! As I understand it's a very unusual size and not many around! do any of you own one?

Thanks!

Uraniumnitrate
    Last edited by uraniumnitrate; 01-15-2007 at 01:47 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    They might have one at the store, I'll check when I go into work today in a couple hours.
    -Karl Blessing
    Karl Blessing.com
    The Bokeh
    Color Film always existed. It's just the world was always black and white till recently.

Hi, Uranium.

I can't help you anyway with historical facts about Tomiyama cameras, but I have one of those 6x24 beasts and I sure agree with you that it's a quite unusual format. The camera itself isn't quite inspiring and such a wide format poses some difficulties on composing since it lacks any kind of movements, except trail focusing. So using it at 6x17 format comes to be handy sometimes.
    Mine is an old camera and arrived with the usual 120mm Nikkor SW, wich happens to be a nice fit for my 5x7' D2. The camera will accept shorter lenses, although some may not fit inside it's narrow body. The 90/8 Nikkor SW, for instance, can't be used for just a couple milimeters.
    Ground-glass helps a lot when focusing other lenses than the 120mm, since for this one there's a scale on the knob wich drives the focusing rail. Maybe they had options available for other lenses, but for sure I don't expect to easily find one.
    All in all, I'm happy using it for differents tasks and I just regret it's weight and portability. I used to make some handheld shots with 6x17 Linhof, but not with this one!

Cesar B.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hello Cesar!

Now, I wonder if it couldn't be a good camera on the streets as hand held for snop shuts! I beleive that nobody knows what you are taking pictures of and because it's so wide it could be some strange things happening in the corners. at least it's worth a try!

Uraniumnitrate

One more thing I forgot here! That is when you running around with 8x10 and larger cameras with thier holders, lenses, tripod than a "little" camera like this would like a felling of the butterfly sometimes! :-):-)

Well... once I made some pictures from a small rowboat, framing a nice view of my favorite beach in Rio. The least I can say is that it was quite funny. Trying to level the camera on board, even on a perfect day, with almost no wind or waves, was some kind of zen exercise. And you can get quite dizzy, believe me!
    Changing film and focusing on the ground glass also asked for some caution, but after all I managed to get a few useful frames.
    The camera is somewhat unconfortable while hand held, as you need both hands to hold it and a third one to turn the focusing knob and trip the shutter.
    But I won't discourage you from taking such a animal to the streets, just don't expect to get unnoticed!

Cesar B.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hello Cesar!

Look here! I donít know why you had to bother with that focusing knob at all? Have you 2 some kind of intimate relation with each other?:-) I donít have any userís manual for this thing but I thought that this focusing knob where a bogus from the beginning!
    By the way if you have any user's manual I would like you to copy for me! would you?

Now; I have a Schneider 121mm Super Angulon which gives you a ruff 100 degree and this lens is on f16 have a dept of field like 5 m to infinity, on f22 3.53m to infinity, on f32 2.55m to infinity and on f45 1.96m to infinity.

Now if Iím not wrong than the simple rules of the dept of field is that 1/3 are the front of your object and 2/3 is behind it.

So what you do? Go up some high place a building or something and look ahead and choose something very far your horizon and try to estimate something which is 2/3 in a front of it! Than you focus there! When itís done you mark this position on your focusing knob and here you are! The camera is calibrated to your lens! Your dept of field table should work here! That means your image should be sharp on f 22 from 3.53 metres to infinity!!!!!
    So what you got really is the big big instamatic camera with fixed focus!!!!!
    Now on 400 ASA or higher this should be enough light to keep you going on a bright day at the speed of 125 on the street even with f 32!
    This of course aloud you to have the camera on your shoulder with your triger coked, film wind and just pick it up when you got that image! This of course makes you a little bit more discrete and on the steets, you must move fast anyway as things changing fast than you don't had to bother with any of that focusing thing!!

Cesar, correct me if Iím wrong!!! As I don't have anyone to talk to when it's come to this baby! funny I called baby and you called animal! It must be so that beloved child have many names! :-)

The first image is a contact print from the negative and the second one is one detail from it! This images only for test purposes nothing else so don't garge my artistic talent on those! I haven't made any enlargment yet of those test negatives but will do some lather!

Now the trees where 3 metres from me and that house something like one kilometres and those trees on the horizon well, I don't know!

Now of course the wide size makes it difficult to compose your image thats for shure but if you think there is a lot's of applications this will feet in!
    The only problem I have that I don't know how the hell I can feet in a longer lens! I tryed with my symmar 300 but the inside of the camera would not aloud me because that little window masking my neg when the bellows drown out 300 mm! any tip you can give me as I feel somethimes that a longer lens would be nice somethimes.
    Last edited by uraniumnitrate; 01-15-2007 at 01:47 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Hi, Uranium.

Believe me or not, I was using both the Nikkor 120mm and Schneider 75mm, alternating 6x24 and 6x17 formats. To use the second lens, I took off the stopper wich sets infinity mark and so all markings in the knob came to be useless. I made myself a side rule with markings for both lens, but it i so crude yet that I can't trust at all. And to make things even a little more difficult I used TMX 100 and 160 ISO color film. Of course, I like to use filters for B&W and as the boat would never accept the idea of being steady, you can imagine that I was very far from using f 22.
    I would also like to use bigger lenses and that's one of the motives I don't feel quite in love about this camera, but here in Brasil those beasts don't show up very often so I'll sure have to wait a long time until I find something better.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Cesar!

I been out with this baby a couple of days and I think Im' gonna like it! Took some picture of industrial landscapes!
    can yuoiput up something you did with this you call animal?
    By the way you talking about boats all the time! It seem that you living on water! Do you?

Uraniumnitrate!
    Last edited by uraniumnitrate; 07-09-2006 at 05:08 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Well, not exactly living on water, but as much near the sea as I can.
    I did mention this boat story just because it's the only situation where I really need to shoot hand held panoramics.
    I haven't much to show via internet, but some of my work about Rio de Janeiro can be seen on www.pequenagaleria18.com.br. If you have the time... be my guest!

Cesar B.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I been inside and looked the images but anytime I wanted to enlarge one of those than nothing hapend. It's says that loading but efter a half an hour you don't try it any longer! Some of those of your work are very nice!!!! What kind of lens you have on the camera now? The Schneider and the Nikon? Well how long you had this camera?
    Uraniumnitrate

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  ó   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin