Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,481   Posts: 1,542,704   Online: 958

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 4x10 metal?

Shooter
    Med. Format Pan
    Quote Originally Posted by naturephoto1
    Clayton,

I would bet that it would work for wide angle lenses though and I would suspect that it would rather light.

Rich
    Rich

yes, you're right, for wide angle lenses it's just fine. The guy that owns it also has a 4x10 Canham, he built it because he found the Canham slow to setup. I think too he wanted something that would take a beating in the field without hurting the pocket too much.

I was inspired by the design to build my own.........I collected the bits but sadly haven't had time to put it all together...........well that's my excuse!

Clayton

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Curt
    ... because I sanded off a finger while fixing a large belt sander. The first shop accident I have had in eight years.
    Curt
    Holy crap! I hope that means you sanded off the skin or "boogered-up" your hand, NOT actually removed the finger?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks, no just the skin down to the "meat" so to speak. I am enjoying some Kentucky Bourbon right now and I don't feel a thimg. It took hours for the blood to stop running. An abrasion always feels worse than a plain old but. Got three finger tip sides and I am just learning to type and get the middle finger to hit the "I" key. I guess it's time to go camping again!

Shooter
    35mm
    The new Wehman 8x10 comes in at 7.5lbs. and bulletproof. Get yourself some split darkslides and you have 4x10 horizontal, vertical, and an 8x10. Just an idea.

http://www.wehmancamera.com/light_weight_model.htm

Shooter
    Med. Format Pan
    Images
    Please don't discount our Fotoman 410PS camera so quickly. We will have a shift adapter available by year end with 65mm of both rise and fall. Remember, at 2.5:1 4x10 is clearly panoramic, with less forground/background. As such most lenses (certainly wide angles) will offer enough DOF to assure sharp images once you shift away the unwanted foreground and/or background... tilt is not as important as it is with a more square format, like 4x5 or 8x10... unless you'll be shooting at large apertures.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by fotoman
    Please don't discount our Fotoman 410PS camera so quickly.
    Sorry. If I didn't want the movements I would probably be happy with a 6x17. Smaller, lighter and considerably cheaper to operate.

Part of what I want out of a 4x10 is to be able to shoot some near-far vertical panos. For that, I need a full set of movements somewhere - all on the front standard would be fine by me.

I'm sure the Fotoman products are fine products, they just don't fit my application.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by JBrunner
    The new Wehman 8x10 comes in at 7.5lbs. and bulletproof. Get yourself some split darkslides and you have 4x10 horizontal, vertical, and an 8x10.
    Way too heavy for what I want, and way too bulky in the pack as well. What I'm looking for is light weight 4x10.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Last night I mounted an excavation project (my desk is, um, less than neat) to find the correct View Camera magazines. The September and November issues from 2005 contain Kerry Thalmann's excellent and exhaustive review of the entirety of 4x10. History, current state-of-the-art, lenses, film holders, film, everything.

Had I actually read these articles when they came out, I wouldn't have started this thread. But then, just a year ago I wasn't interested in panoramic photography at all. Sigh...

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Watson
    Last night I mounted an excavation project (my desk is, um, less than neat) to find the correct View Camera magazines. The September and November issues from 2005 contain Kerry Thalmann's excellent and exhaustive review of the entirety of 4x10. History, current state-of-the-art, lenses, film holders, film, everything.

Had I actually read these articles when they came out, I wouldn't have started this thread. But then, just a year ago I wasn't interested in panoramic photography at all. Sigh...
    Bruce,

I'm glad you found the articles informative. I'm also glad you started this thread. As you know, I've had an on-again-off-again love affair with the 4x10 format for several years. I believe the more people learn about the 4x10 format, the more people will be enticed to give it a try. And, the more people shooting 4x10, the better it will be supported by the manufacturers. Therefore, I'm eager and willing to talk about 4x10 any chance I get.

Also, the Fotoman 410PS is a new product that has come to market since my articles were published. Even if it isn't the perfect camera for your needs, discussing it here has brought it to the attention of others who may find it perfect for their needs. Again, the sharing of information is a good thing for all of us.

Whatever camera you decide on, whether it's an off-the-shelf solution, or a custom made model, I hope you give 4x10 an try and find it as satisfying as I do.

Kerry

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by claytume
    Have you guys seen this Graphic conversion, only downside I see is the short bellows.

http://www.silverlight.net/cameras/4...20Graphic.html

Clayton
    For the benefit of those who'd like to know a little more about the nifty 4x10 Graphic conversion, it was built by Wayne Firth. I've exchanged a number of emails with Wayne on the 4x10 format. He has also posted a little more info about his 4x10 Graphic in these two threads:

http://www.largeformatphotography.in...ad.php?t=10041

http://www.largeformatphotography.in...ad.php?t=11661

It's a great concept. The camera is very light, but I believe it is non-folding like the Altview 410WA discussed here. It certainly looks to be very fast to set-up and fast and easy to use - which were his design goals.

Kerry

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin