Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,765   Posts: 1,484,083   Online: 950

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: 4x10 metal?

Shooter
    4x5 Format

4x10 metal?

I'm searching about looking for a 4x10 camera that I could live with. The closest I've found so far is the Canham wooden 4x10.

What I'm looking for is a camera that I can toss in the pack and hike with. Mostly landscape, mostly horizontal but some vertical. If I have full front movements I can live without any rear movements at all. I'd like it to be metal and designed for light weight.

The Fotomans won't do it - no movements. The new Shen-hao is considerably too heavy. The Lotus weighs about the same as the Canham. I've never seen a Wisner in the wild, and I don't think I could muster up the courage to order one considering Wisner's apparently checkered history.

I'm probably just chasing my tail here, but you never really know what's out there until you look. All pointers welcome.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Have you thought of contacting Canham to see if they can provide you with a 4X10 all metal camera?
    Art is a step from what is obvious and well-known toward what is arcane and concealed.

Visit my website at http://www.donaldmillerphotography.com

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Donald Miller
    Have you thought of contacting Canham to see if they can provide you with a 4X10 all metal camera?
    oooh, get thee behind me, Don
    Robert Hall
    www.RobertHall.com
    www.RobertHall.com/mobile
    Apug Portfolio
    Facebook Profile

Technology is not a panacea. It alone will not move your art forward. Only through developing your own aesthetic - free from the tools that create it - can you find new dimension to your work.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Donald Miller
    I did think of that. The Canham website indicates that they don't want us talking to them directly, they want us to go through our dealers. So I asked Jeff at Badger Graphic Sales to ask, he came back and said they had no plans to make such a camera.

Just for fun, I sent a request to Toho in Japan also. I haven't heard back from them yet (and I'm not holding my breath).

My theory was with at least four active manufacturers making 4x10 cameras that somebody would make a metal 4x10. Hmmm.... maybe not.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Not really chasing your tail. I have been giving a lot of thought about putting together a stainless steel 4x10 that I can use in all kinds of weather and if it gets hit or dropped so what. I had a lens guard in mind with rubber shock absorbers so the lens would be protected in a minor tilt. Wood is great but something that could go as luggage in a plane or in a back back is what I need too.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Curt
    I have been giving a lot of thought about putting together a stainless steel 4x10 that I can use in all kinds of weather and if it gets hit or dropped so what. I had a lens guard in mind with rubber shock absorbers so the lens would be protected in a minor tilt. Wood is great but something that could go as luggage in a plane or in a back pack is what I need too.
    Why not aluminum? 6061-T6 would work fine - strong and light, and anodized it would be basically impervious to the weather. While stainless (any of the hundreds of metals in the stainless family) tends to have better strength, it also tends to be more of a pain to machine and weld. Given two structures of similar strength, one aluminum and the other stainless, the stainless one tends to be heavier.

Another thought would be to make the lens guard an option so people could opt for light weight or ruggedness.

There are at least four companies actively making 4x10s, none of them metal. There's clearly a market of some level for 4x10s. Let me know if you decide to proceed. I for one am interested.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    This is true for the aluminum, I thought about it and I was going for a camera that could get wet or be near the salt water. I think a bellows that can be changed often would be good too. I don't think a camera should cost two grand either. Aluminum is fine also and is light and easy to machine. I want one that has a nice range of movements and if something happens to it I can make another or change the bellows quickly. It's a little hard to type right now because I sanded off a finger while fixing a large belt sander. The first shop accident I have had in eight years.

I recently started drawing some designs and it was apparent that cameras can be too complicated and too expensive. There are some givens though, like rack and pinions, which run about a hundred dollars for one camera. Other than the bellows, everything else is available and design choices are endless. After all what's a camera? A lens at one end and film at the other with the absence of light in between. The in between connectons are the design and style of the maker to provide the features. A "Tropical" camera would be very useful. Rugged and easy to maintain.

Curt

Shooter
    Med. Format Pan
    Have you guys seen this Graphic conversion, only downside I see is the short bellows.

http://www.silverlight.net/cameras/4...20Graphic.html

Clayton

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by claytume
    Have you guys seen this Graphic conversion, only downside I see is the short bellows.

Clayton
    Wow, that looks really nice... I wonder if I could do the same thing for a 5"x12" camera to add the ease of making my own film holders.

Hrm... food for though.
    Let's see what I've got in the magic trash can for Mateo!

blog
    website

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by claytume

Clayton
    Clayton,

I would bet that it would work for wide angle lenses though and I would suspect that it would rather light.

Rich
    Richard A. Nelridge
    http://www.nelridge.com

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin