Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,741   Posts: 1,515,564   Online: 967

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Fotoman 6 x 24

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I would suspect also that there will be more and more unevenness of the sky color/tones for polarized light in both color and B&W as you increase from say 6x12 to 6x17 to 6x24 with the appropriate WA lenses in general.

Rich
    Richard A. Nelridge
    http://www.nelridge.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by naturephoto1
    I would suspect also that there will be more and more unevenness of the sky color/tones for polarized light in both color and B&W as you increase from say 6x12 to 6x17 to 6x24 with the appropriate WA lenses in general.

Rich
    That is very correct sir!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by trebor569
    I am toying with the idea of investing in a 6 x 24 Fotoman with a 90/5.6 Super Angulon XL lense but can not quite make up my mind if I would not be better of with a 6 x 17 and a 72/5.6 Super Angulon XL lense.
    Has any one any views on or experience of using a camera of this size?

Actually the Scneider SA XL is more like a 5x7 lens with some useful camera movment and it's incredebly good on 4x5! This is because you using the best out of the lens best working aria But it does not work on the 6x24 cm camera! It covers it but that's it! You got the same problem with the 72 mm on the 6x17! However the 90 mm SA XL is a better choice on the 6x17 and the 6x24 would require the !20, 121 mm SA lens or the older Angulon 165 mm lens! But the 210 would be the best choice but this one is heavy and it's just to big, this lens is a 100 degree! Now of course the old Angulon only give you 90 or some more degree and those other a 100 or something! Now they will cover better and the light fall out is not recognizable because the rear cell have a smaller ( I mean bigger radius and therefore more flatness) if you compare those with the SA XL's!

There is some older lenses like the Wollensak E.X.W.A. F12.5 6 1/4 would cover well to and there is some others but I don't remember those! I just guess that some older Goerz wa would cover too But I really don't know what degree they working on! probobly around 80 and uppward to a 90 or 100.
    Of course there is another problem with the fotoman as I have pointed out in The Tomiyama Section the lensholder. On the Tomiyama you got bellows to calibrate for the lens! I think and I can say that Tomiyama is an old man but better than fotoman in it's constructoin! It's like my Seneca is better than my Tachi! At least is what I beleive and there is some 100 years age difference!!

To tell you the thruth you got two options either you use filter or you cut out a large part of your neg if you don't like the fall out efect!
    Now I have find that (because I work with black and white only) that having a red filter on the angulon with another filter is vigneting!
    I forgot to mention as I'm a B/W man the yellow filter is a some kind of standard filter on my cameras at all the time.
    Last edited by uraniumnitrate; 08-29-2006 at 01:19 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Use of a lense shade also gives me concerns, though I am often told your body is the best shade - all I can say is I'm Not that big that I can shade a 6x24. Lee do an excellent wide angle lense shade & filter holder combination that works quite well on my Mamiya 43mm lense though that only has a 92degree view. But least the Lee is a bellow type can adjust it and if necessary cut one appropriately.
    Operating this type of camera I know is going to be a bit of a challenge, especially as I do most of my work in Scotland, (force 9 gales, driving rain, bitting cold and even more bitting damned midges!)
    [FONT=Palatino Linotype]Rob J-T[/FONT]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Yes Rob!

This is a challenge in any cases there is no doubt about that! I’m working on the lens shade problem too! I believe you have seen those 35 mm panorama movie cameras. Don’t you? Remember how the lens shade looked like? Wide and low! Bellows type of course to could adapt different lenses! Now I’m into to fold my bellows and I where asking after sites there I could learn that! Published here in the large format section under “Folding bellows” Take a looked that!

Anyway, I learned that the deeper your lens is in the shade the better quality your neg is going to be. Don’t get scared we are a couple people sharing the very same problem but solving it is part of the fun!!! Just see to it that you choose the right lens contra neg size and than a fall out not gonna be a big issue! I for example use an oversized lens to all of my large formats! For 4x5 I use 5x7 lenses for 8x10 mostly lenses made to 30x40 cm because I want to have the possibility to use the best out of all lenses! Also witm movements I still in the lense best working aria! If the lens covers that is good but how it covers that’s a totally different thing!

Than of course you must understand that this is not an everyday camera!!!!

So what do you thinK what kind of whether we got in Sweden? :-) :-)

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Yeh but you don't get the midges!
    Have you had a look at the new Schnider XXL fine art lenses with their 900mm Image Circle (plus 2.5Kg of weight) don't think I will fit one on the 6x24.
    Thanks for yor advice and help. I will let you know how I get on.
    [FONT=Palatino Linotype]Rob J-T[/FONT]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by trebor569
    Yeh but you don't get the midges!
    Have you had a look at the new Schnider XXL fine art lenses with their 900mm Image Circle (plus 2.5Kg of weight) don't think I will fit one on the 6x24.
    Thanks for yor advice and help. I will let you know how I get on.
    well, we don't have the midges I must admit that but -25 degrees might be something not to jump to high for either! :-)

About the XXL, it's a nice big and heavy piece of glass but when the price tag come up I closed my eye! But to chear you up they engrawing your name on it! :-):-) And it's defenetelly not feet the any Fotoman! :-):-)

Good luck

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    The XXL lenses are for much larger formats than 6x24 and would seem like overkill. It's smaller than 4x10".
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Vegas/mysterious mohave co. az, Big Pine Key Fla.
    Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    a quite small 150 mm f 12.5 wollensak should cover the 6 x 24 just fine. Also as mentioned the 165 6.8 Angulon, I use a 210 5.6 Sironar S on my 8 x 10 not much movement but it would do fine on the 6 x 24

..personally I think a 90 mm f/8 fugi on 6 x 17 is quite nice and easily enlarged on a 5 x 7 enlarger and offers more options. i.e. sharp at f/8 quite effective as a hand held street format and the enlargements are impressive....4 shots per 120 roll...

Shooter
    Med. Format Pan

6X24 experience

I hacked a 6x24 using a Calumet 115mm lens and 120 film
    I have a few negs that I like and a bunch more that showed me that my brain couldn't get around the wide view- I ran out of "composition" at the ends of the frame. ( so who cares about fall-off)
    So I re-hacked the body to use an old 135 Optar. My brain could do that somewhat better, and the Optar almost covered.
    I've had a 210 lying on the shelf for a coupla years so I can make a new hack.
    One of the events that started me down this road was a "waste" of most of a sheet of 8x10 exposed thru a 300mm Protar, plus the low spontaneity of a 2-D in the field

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin