Switch to English Language Passer en langue franÁaise Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,956   Posts: 1,522,824   Online: 962

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Fotoman 6 x 24

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Fotoman 6 x 24

I am toying with the idea of investing in a 6 x 24 Fotoman with a 90/5.6 Super Angulon XL lense but can not quite make up my mind if I would not be better of with a 6 x 17 and a 72/5.6 Super Angulon XL lense.
    Has any one any views on or experience of using a camera of this size?
    [FONT=Palatino Linotype]Rob J-T[/FONT]

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Dear Rob,

I've used 6x17 (Linhof, Fotoman, Longfellow) and 6x12 (Horseman, Linhof) but not 6x24. In my experience, composition becomes easier up to about 6x15 (6x12 is a bit squat) then harder again. I'd also suggest that wide-angles are less useful than you might expect, but it's hard to explain why unless you try one.

Does the 6x24 just sound like a good idea, or will it enable you to do something you've been trying to do for a long time and can't do any other way?

Also, how big do you want your final prints to be? Crop 6x9cm in half to 28x84mm, and blow it up 5x, and you get a picture 420mm (near enough 18 inches) wide.

Finally, how big a chunk of film can your enlarger/scanner handle?

Cheers,

Roger (www.rogerandfrances.com)

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    It's a format I can do with a half-darkslide mask on 8x10", but as a standalone pano camera, it does sound interesting, since it would be a lot smaller than my 8x10" setup. If you photograph a lot near coastline, long panoramas are attractive on days without good clouds.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    35mm
    I have the 6x17. You can see a couple of snaps from it in my gallery. I have a love/hate relationship with it. When it all comes together, it is breathtaking. When its not the right format for the job, it sucks. My percentage of keepers with it is well below 50% but I'm still learning how to use it. Mostly issues involving parallax and convergence. The camera itself is great. I imagine that 6x24 would be even more frustrating and breathtaking.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hello Trebor!

Itís a challenge! I must tell you that the size of 6x24 is just giving you much more than anything else. So you got to take yourself to a totally different level how you think and compose your images, itís also very important to find the right environment to use this camera. I have the Tommiyama 6x24 and I have owned this for a while and still learning how to use it! I brought this not for the use of panorama on landscape but going to have it on the streets as a kind of experiment. Read the thread Tomiyama art camera here and than you will learn more! Itís just a pity that not many people owns one so we could really learn each other! There is only one guy Cesar from Brazil owns one so far!

I have two metal plate I can insert inside both corner of the camera and decrease the size to 6x17 but Iím sure I never gonna use it as I figure that I can resize the negs in my darkroom during the printing process! I can always take away things but never add!

I can with hold with JBrunner "It's a love and hate relationship" :-) :-) That is a very well formed sentence with a lot's of feeling when it comes to this type of cameras!

Now the technical side of this is that I have only one lens and that's the Schneider SA with it's 100 or someting degree. Somethimes I feel that the longer lens around 50 up to 60 degree would be nice but it must cover 8x10 and thats not easy to find! You got the older Angulon 165 mm but it's 80 degree and the gap is not that much I wish to have!

The other thing is making the print's! You got to have an 10x10 enlarger! I do only hand made print's nothing else no elektronic stuff here at all! However for on the net a contact copy will do fine and that size you can scan! But there is a little something! I don't like images bigger than your monitor as scrolling the image do not give you an overall view of the image and therefore it's difficult to see what the image is all about!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by David A. Goldfarb
    It's a format I can do with a half-darkslide mask on 8x10", but as a standalone pano camera, it does sound interesting, since it would be a lot smaller than my 8x10" setup. If you photograph a lot near coastline, long panoramas are attractive on days without good clouds.
    Sure David of course you can do that but if you wanna use this size to shuts on the streets and on people than you have a problem! Because it's a wide angle camera don't had to mean that you only use it for a landscape panorama. I intend to use this for people and city scapes all kinds of applications this camera wasn't intend to use! :-) crowded streets full of people! The beaty in this is the camera is so wide that even if people see you takig pictures they don't know what you are taking picture of! Now this could result some nice things happening in the corner of your neg! could be some real funny pics to!

Shooter
    Med. Format Pan
    Quote Originally Posted by JBrunner
    I imagine that 6x24 would be even more frustrating and breathtaking.
    Agree on that one.........I shoot 6x30 and 6x36+ using Roundshot cameras and also cropped 5x12 (inch).......good subjects are hard to find but when you do find them nothing beats it. Of course these extra wide panoramas take time to develop an eye and sense of composition but worth the effort.

Clayton

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I think everyone has given quite positive advice so far on this, which I am pleasantly surprised. I originally thought of a 6x12 but that is not a big enough step up from my Mamiya 7ii. So a 6x17 or 6x24 became the choice, I blame Lee Frost and his book ďPanoramic PhotographyĒ which I drooled over for months.
    I Must admit Iím still worried about how well the 90/5.6 Super Angulon XL lense will work as it is near its maximum of 259mm on the 6x24
    [FONT=Palatino Linotype]Rob J-T[/FONT]

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by trebor569
    I Must admit Iím still worried about how well the 90/5.6 Super Angulon XL lense will work as it is near its maximum of 259mm on the 6x24
    Don't forget that even on 6x17 there is significant fall off, so you will need a stupidly expensive center filter to even things out, unless you like the effect. I sometimes shoot without it, on the 6x17 for the look, but on 6x24 the fall off may be unacceptable without the filter, even if the lens covers. Also, although I did have the idea of handholding it, I have found that to be more difficult than I thought, and most of the time use a tripod, or a monopod at the very least.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I beleive if you got a lens which cover the format very well or I could say more than well than the fall out not gonna be there at all or not shown that much because the glass in the rear cell in that aria is flat! The fall out is caused by that the lens have a radius and it's mostly more with the rim! It takes longer time for the light to hit the neg.

If the film position would fallow the same radius as the cell than would be no fall off at all! Now I don't know why this new manufacturers like fotoman thought of that and redisign the camera! I mean this is the case with all those rotating lens cameras! isn't that right?

I don't have fall out or it's not reconizable on my negs!
    The holding this thing in hand had a it's problems and this is with a shutter cable position if thay have any (I don't know how it's look like on the fotoman)! This makes it difficult as you got to hold the camera stady with both of your hands, but I'm very clouse to the sollution on my Tomiyama! The other problen is the lens shade! With out it you loose contrast on your negative! But how to do a good and fast lens shade to a lens with a 120 degree? If you have the camera on the tripod it's managable with a cardboard but I want to see you how you do in free hand? like operating the shutter holding the cardboard and the top of that you must hold the camera too! Pretty sick business! isnt it? :-):-)

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  ó   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin