Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,492   Posts: 1,571,373   Online: 983

Shooter
    Multi Format

"America by the Yard"

Just found this book at the ICP bookstore in NYC. It's a collection of Cirkut photos, and has some big foldouts. Some is uninspired photography, a lot is documentary, and a couple are just brilliant.

http://www2.wwnorton.com/catalog/fall06/005160.htm

I have absolutely no affiliation with any of it. just figured some of you Cirkut folks might enjoy it.

Now I'll go back to telling myself I don't need a Cirkut, I don't need a Cirkut, I don't need a Cirkut . . .

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Very enjoyable book. It was at the top of my Christmas list. IIRC, these photos are from the author's personal collection.

A fun thing to do is to visit the sites where these photos were taken. I dropped by Dorchester, NH (Plate #16), which is in the middle of nowhere. To my amazement, the buildings in the picture seem to be exactly as they were in 1929.

ps, Terence: Give in. You really do need a Cirkut!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I recently bough that book, after reading about it here.

Fantastic! A trip through the first half of the 20th century via photos. Thanks!

Others I've shown the book to, photographers and non-shooters alike, have had the same reaction.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It's given me a few ideas for my 8x20 as well. Now if I just had more than one film holder . . .

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    You folks probably already know about this site, but just in case:

http://lcweb2.loc.gov/pp/panquery.html

Library of Congress -- searchable by many criteria. Lots of fun! For example I typed in Las Angeles -- t he first image is from 1912 of the LA Motorcycle Club taken in Venice, CA.

vaughn

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Vaughn,

Very nice URL - Thanks!

Doug Grosjean

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    What intrigues me about that subject is that I don’t know of any photographs made with rotational cameras in that period in Europe. I am not an expert on the history of the application of panoramic cameras, but I only remember seeing photos made with swing-lens cameras in Europe then. Does my memory fail?

Or was the Cirkut-photography rather a North-American thing?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I think they were much less popular, but when I was visiting my relatives in Egersund, Norway, much to my surprise one of my relatives had a wonderful period cirkut shot of the town hanging in her living room. People were definitely shooting cirkuts around europe at the time. I bet a little poking around would turn up a lot of great shots. America by the yard is a great book. Be fun to see a european version.
    Jamie

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Egersund... definitely one of the last places I would have expected to find a full circle panorama of (or something like that).
    The next time I'll come across those photo historians I'll make that European Cirkut thing an issue.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin