Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,572   Posts: 1,545,650   Online: 988

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Noblex questions

This goes out to Noblex users...I'm borrowing a Noblex 150 this week to get a feel for the camera and format, thinking it's wise to learn before buying (and if anyone reading this has a Noblex they want to sell I will be in the market for one!) such unique equipment. I must say after 4 rolls it is absolutely addictive!

Here are some questions I'm wondering about:
    1. I've been multiple exposing to create longer exposure times, and wondered how many users have the slow exposure module and if they recommend it?
    2. My loaner has the fixed focus, and I'm wondering how many times have you wished for the 3 focus points? The lens/format is extremely sharp and I've barely been able to detect fuzziness in the foreground around f8 or wider.
    3. Can you add or remove the magnetic filters while the camera is loaded with film?

I've only double-exposed 2 frames so far and haven't seen my fingers in any frames, so I'm doing okay. I look forward to any responses -

Bill

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I used a Noblex 150 w/focus & shift for about a year. Super sharp lens - my only gripe was the limited amount of shift available. I was inevitably always pointing 'up' which gave the typical curved horizon - something I personally don't care for. On hindsight this was probably more my inability to 'see' with the camera as I have seen some wonderful work done with the Noblex.

Quote Originally Posted by topridge99 View Post
    This goes out to Noblex users...I'm borrowing a Noblex 150 this week to get a feel for the camera and format, thinking it's wise to learn before buying (and if anyone reading this has a Noblex they want to sell I will be in the market for one!) such unique equipment. I must say after 4 rolls it is absolutely addictive!

Here are some questions I'm wondering about:
    1. I've been multiple exposing to create longer exposure times, and wondered how many users have the slow exposure module and if they recommend it?
    2. My loaner has the fixed focus, and I'm wondering how many times have you wished for the 3 focus points? The lens/format is extremely sharp and I've barely been able to detect fuzziness in the foreground around f8 or wider.
    3. Can you add or remove the magnetic filters while the camera is loaded with film?

I've only double-exposed 2 frames so far and haven't seen my fingers in any frames, so I'm doing okay. I look forward to any responses -

Bill

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Hi!

My first post on APUG! - I own a Noblex 150FS, with focus and shift capability, and I thought I would need them, but I've used the shift capability maybe 10 times, and the focus a total of 0 times, with maybe 200 rolls through my camera. I took a photography workshop a few years ago with Macduff Everton, and he showed us his Noblex - it was the plain vanilla one, no focus or shift, and he'd attached a bullseye bubble level to the front of it using silicon caulk (or something to that effect) so he could see if it was level while looking through the viewfinder. I've never used the long-exposure module, I've just set it to bulb and added up the appropriate amount of 1/15 sec. revolutions to get the exposure I wanted.

99% of the photos on my website, www.mlogue.com were made with my Noblex. Man, do I absolutely love it. Unfortunately, I need to sell it to make way for a Fotoman 617, and I can't have 2 expensive panoramic cameras around the house. You don't get the curved horizons with a Fotoman (or any flat-focal plane camera) that you do with the Noblex. On the other hand, the Noblex is more compact and lighter than the Fotoman, so it's a trade-off.

Have fun!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I use the Fotman 617 and while 'curved' horizons are no longer an issue I sometimes miss the wide 135 deg fov offered by the Noblex.

Does the Fotoman have a flash synch? That's already something I'm missing with the loaner Noblex.

Bill

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Yes since you're basically using lenses already mounted on copal shutters.

Quote Originally Posted by topridge99 View Post
    Does the Fotoman have a flash synch? That's already something I'm missing with the loaner Noblex.

Bill

Shooter
    Med. Format Pan
    I had one of the early Noblex 120's which I used for a number of years - sold it and then 2 years ago bought a new one. Both had the slow speed module which I used continually. yes you can change out the filters mid roll without exposing a frame. The close focus capability is another feature I used quite often and will get you in about 3 feet from the subject. I also have had a Linhof 617 and currently have the Canham 617. The Noblex will get you shots which are impossible with the 617's - and with no fall-off of light at the edges. My only complaint is the pre-roll at the lower speeds. It is really not needed to get the drum up to speed. And on the lowest speeds it may creep around for a minute and one half before the exposure begins.

Shooter
    Large Format
    I use a Noblex 150F for which the slow speed module is not available but the shutter speeds go down to 1/15 as opposed to the 1/30 that is true for some other models. I use multiple exposures frequently and have never had a problem. Before I bought the Noblex I tried a Horseman G617, a Seitz Roundshot and a Widelux. The Horseman and like cameras are nice bu tthey are not panoramic in the true sense of the word. The Seitz drove me nuts and the Widelux just wasn't up to the same standards as the Noblex. The Noblex, BTW paid for itself on one job.

I don't use the filters so I can't address that issue either but the F model does have the zone focus feature and I wouldn't give it up. Actually, it is continuous zone focus with three detents. Yes, the lens is among the sharpest made and if you can accurately zone focus it gets even sharper. BTW, I don't know where the lenses are manufacured now but they were originally Docter Optics.

Every once in a while I will use the camera handheld at a higher shutter speed ... generally a bad idea ... keep it on the tripod. I have run literally hudnreds of rolls of film through this camera in the 5 years I have had it and it is a marvelous performer. PM me for any specific info you might be interested in.

Thanks to each of you for the responses. I took the loaner back yesterday. I found the camera to be easy to use and carry, and am fascinated by the perspective. The fixed focus created some very long interior exposure times that could have been reduced with adjustable focus and larger apertures. I can see the benefits of a slow exposure module instead of multiple exposures. I didn't need a shift option during my use. Razor sharp negatives!!

Is there an older model that gives me slow exposure module capabilities, adjustable focus and no shift?? Maybe the shift and focus are always together?

Thanks again and I look forward to hearing from you -
    Bill

Shooter
    Large Format
    Jim, there is no older model that gives you the slow exposure mode AFAIK. My model, the 150F gives you the adjustale focus without shift.
    Last edited by Ted Harris; 03-23-2007 at 10:33 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin