Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,880   Posts: 1,520,494   Online: 843

Shooter
    Medium Format

Cirkuts available on the big auction site...

Hi all,

Wish I could move on one of these, but I can't, so I'm sharing.

There are various size Cirkut outfits and non-outfits for sale on *bay at the moment. I've just started researching Cirkuts, not ready to dive in, so all I know is that I saw a 6, an 8, and a 10. Some with lenses, some without.

Since I can't buy one, I figured I might as well share with others who might have an interest.

I have no financial interest in the auction, don't know the seller, and only wish I could purchase one of them.

A question, though, for the future.... If I did suddenly have the money, which size Cirkut is the easiest to buy film for?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    At this point b&w film is a big problem.10" color is still available from kodak. Films that are as thick as sheet film don't work well. 120 film thickness is best. Aerial film is usually on a thin base and works well. It can be found occasionally in 5" and 9" in outdated lots, and can be had from kodak as well.
    I heard ilford might sell 9.5" aerial.Best bet is a #10 camera as far as film goes, or a #5 and aerial film. You'll have to learn to spool. It would be great to have people cut 120 base in 100 foot rolls. Forte used to do it. Alas they are gone.
    Jamie

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thanks, Jamie.

I'll be keeping my eye on the film issue. Sure hoping that when I'm in a position to afford a Cirkut, there's still something to put in it. Otherwise it's a big expensive paperweight... I want to use, not collect.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Aerofilms (camera films) are typically now on a 100µ PET base. Their size designation (largest size) is as well 9.5in but also 9 7/16 in .

Michael Westmoreland uses that film cut by himself for his (obviously #8) Cirkut.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It's unfortunate but cirkuts are becoming challenging to set up to use, especially for the beginner. I was lucky that kodak was still selling 8" verichrome that I could learn on. It's helpful to know how factory spooled film should work. Spooling film is a big pain, and getting film to spool is harder all the time. I'm hoping the small film manufacturers will consider reasonable special orders like forte did. I'm working on cutting jigs to cut film down to the sizes I want. I really like my 6 outfit but have to cut larger film to use it.

Jamie

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Sigh.

The film availability makes me wish there were a 120 film or 70 mm film camera from that era that could do full 360.

Can a Cirkut #6 be made to use 60mm or 70mm film, with appropriate lenses of course? If so, that would at least keep the small Cirkuts desirable.

The downside(s) I can imagine are two:

1. Have to have appropriate gearing made for such a wide-angle lens.
    2. Any non-smooth spot in the drivetrain would be more visible on small film.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Have you considered cutting 9.5" film to sizec?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    There are some 120 and 70mm cameras around - seitz roundshots, hulchers, and probably a few others. A photo of a roundshot is on my web site -click on roundshots
    http://www.jamieyoungphoto.com/cameras1.html
    they are I do all my color pans with a 70mm and 35mm 1990's vintage roundshot. I often make 8 foot long prints from the negs.
    One can cut down 9.5" aerial film - I'm planning on doing it for my 7" al vista and 6" cirkut. You still have to rig up a cutting jig to do it well. It's important to get a clean cut. Cirkuts run better when the film unspools smoothly onto the drum. A change in tension from the spool to the drum can often cause banding.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    That more modern modular 35mm Seitz Super Roundshot was on my list. But you can't have all...
    Their 9mm camera was nice too.

The photographer I referred to above makes contacts from his customized 8" film.
    If one would do that, the contact frame could also be used for cutting, in case one does not like to wind it through a cutting device.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin