Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,549   Posts: 1,544,588   Online: 883

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I think I'm going to settle on:

* Shen-Hao 4x5 camera (folding variant) + 6x12 back.
    * Nikon 65/4 Nikkor-SW (angle of view: ~80 degrees horizontal, ~43 degrees vertical)

I plan to expand the system later with 135 and 250 lenses...

Thank you all for suggestions!

Regards,
    Loris.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I'd recommend having both lenses - the 135mm and 90mm (or wider)

I have an MPP 4x5" and a DaYi 6x12 holder. When shooting full 4x5" or 9x12 cm, I use the 135mm 90% of times, only occasionally either the 90mm or 270mm that I have (and lately, the 270mm comes more often than 90mm).

On the other hand, when composing for the 6x12cm frame, I use 90mm lens most often and a lot of times I wish I had something wider (I intend on buying either 75mm or 65mm).

But you have to find your own preferred way of seeing, just my 2c...
    Jiri Vasina
    www.vasina.net

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Loris-

I suspect it all depends on what you photograph; I've had a Horseman 6x12 back for about eight years and use it primarily on a Canham for landscapes in the American West where I want to compress the perspective- and therefore use a 300 Nikkor-M almost exclusively.

More recently its been on a 4x5 Graflex Super D and used for portraits and more intimate landscapes with a seven or nine inch lens.

The format is wonderful and allows a huge enlargement if that is your wish.

Good shooting,
    Russ

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks Russ,

I won't enlarge past 3.5-4x (something like 8x16")... I just need sharp / detailed, grainless / tonally smooth and rich images. I plan to print the negatives using iron (pt/pd, cyanotype), iron-silver (argyrotype) or dichromate (carbon) based alternative processes - after enlarging of course -> but don't ask me how; it's an inappropiate subject for this site ...

Regards,
    Loris.

Quote Originally Posted by Russ Young View Post
    Loris-

I suspect it all depends on what you photograph; I've had a Horseman 6x12 back for about eight years and use it primarily on a Canham for landscapes in the American West where I want to compress the perspective- and therefore use a 300 Nikkor-M almost exclusively.

More recently its been on a 4x5 Graflex Super D and used for portraits and more intimate landscapes with a seven or nine inch lens.

The format is wonderful and allows a huge enlargement if that is your wish.

Good shooting,
    Russ

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I shoot with the Shen-Hao 6x17 back on my Sinar F2 (for horizontals, the back cannot be mounted vertically on the Sinar) and on my Horseman (for verticals, the back cannot be mounted horizontally on the Horseman). I’ve been shooting a lot of interiors as of late with my 90mm Sironar f4.5 and with my Schneider 72mm Super Angulon XL f5.6 with a center filter. I love these combinations with this back however be careful as if you are focusing too far away (such as infinity) with the 72mm Super Angulon XL. The rear element (which is huge on the 72mm Super Angulon XL) can make contact with the 6x17 back. I really have enjoyed this 6x17 back but will eventually step up to a 5x7 camera with a 6x17 back made for 5x7, only because movements are restricted by a 6x17 back on a 4x5 platform.
    -Logan Group

Pacifism in the face of murderous barbarism is a self-correcting disorder.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Does the 65mm your considering need a center filter?
    W.A. Crider

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin