Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,921   Posts: 1,522,076   Online: 795

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

Best(!) focal length for 6x12 / 6x17 formats?

I plan to purchase a Shen-Hao TFC45-ⅡB 4x5 view camera with their 6x17 / 6x12 panoramic back.

The lens I'm interested in is a Nikon 135/5.6 Nikkor-W (200mm image circle @ infinity, stopped down to F22) - it's a relatively cheap and small/light lens which gives ~25 degrees vertical, ~54 degrees horizontal and ~58 degrees diagonal angle of view on 6x14 format (same horizontal angle of view with a 35mm lens on 35mm format).

1. Do you think 135mm is a nice choice for formats 6x12 and 6x17?

I'm afraid of lenses as wide as 90mm (as far as I can understand, for some reason this is the most preferred focal length for 6x17) since the horizontal angle of view is quite wide - read as: presumably hard do manage... I also don't want exaggerated perspective effects.

2. What can you say about Shen-Hao's 4x5 camera and panoramic film back?

3. Do you find 135mm a good choice for a single-lens 4x5 LF system?

4. What would be your recommendations for a multi-format >= 6x12 panoramic camera system?

Thanks in advance,
    Loris.
    Last edited by Loris Medici; 08-01-2007 at 03:30 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Purely a matter of choice - my preference is for 6x12 and 135 mm, with 210 and 360 also used often. My personal feeling is that a combination of 6x17 and 90 mm makes it very hard to get a close-up of anything without falling over yourself or getting your shadow in the picture! I have a Nikon 135/5.6 Nikkor-W, have been very pleased with it.

As regards a recommended system, I would say any regular 4x5" camera with either a 6x12 holder or a step-up back and 6x17 - can't quite see the point of enormously expensive panoramic cameras when any other camera can do the same job!

Regards,

David

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The TFC45-ⅡB is the non-folder right? I bet the number of users is fairly small. The folder is much more common.

I've got a 120mm for 6x12 but like David said it's a personal choice.

I've got the 612BC roll film back. The downside of my model is the very dark ruby window. I just picked up the SPC617 back which fits the 5x7[and bigger] cameras. It's got a more reasonable ruby window. I don't know if that means newer 612BC have similar windows. The intention is to use it on my 5x7 or 8x10 with the reducing back.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Just bought a 6x12 Horseman back for my Linhof so I haven't settled on a lens yet but my 135mm Symmar feels pretty right. I have taken a couple on the 90mm and there is no problem here. The good thing about the 6x12 is that the view angle is exactly the same as 5x4, so no adjustment is needed in my shooting style.
    Tony

Shooter
    Multi Format
    There is no "best", just "best for you for a given situation".

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm in the midwest united states, and tend toward longer lenses here. otherwise there's a lot of sky and foreground. When I went to Yosemite a few years ago, I had to get used to the fact that it was hard to get everything I wanted to in. These are two extremes. Anyway, I think you have to look at your subject matter and the type of landscape you will be shooting in most.
    Looking forward to seeing your pics

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Remember that 6x12 and 6x17 are wide Panoramic formats, a 90mm lens is a very practical option and makes a good standard lens for 6x17.

My personal preference is a 75mm Super Angulon, neither the 90mm or the 75mm give exaggerated perspective on 120 film, either at 6x12 or 6x17. After all 75mm - 90mm lenses are standards on 645/6x6 and 6x7 cameras.

Jamie makes a good point, one of the reasons for shooting 6x17 as opposed to 5x4 is to get everything you want into the image without an excess of foreground and sky.

Ian

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I have just returned from a 3 day camping/photo trip near The Avenue of the Giants. I used my new pano camera is a Speed Graphic with a 6x12 back the last day. I shot with 65mm Super Angulon and 90mm Fuji and by far my favorite was the 65mm - There are really tall trees there

No problems at all with exaggerated perspective.

Mike

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    With 6x12 and 6x9 rollfilm backs on my 4x5 Shen Hao my 55mm Rodenstock Apo Grandagon and my 47mm Super Angulon are the lenses I use the most. I also occasionally use my 65mm Super Angulon and I rarely use my 90mm Nikkor.
    Tom Hoskinson

Everything is analog - even digital :D

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I think I tend to use the 90mm most often for 6x17, unless I want to shoot handheld with the rangefinder on my Technika, which I can only do with a 150mm lens (it could be done with a 135mm lens, but my 135/3.5 Planar doesn't cover 6x17).

My DaYi 6x17 back doesn't have a red window, but simply an open window with a foam light seal around it and a shutter to keep the window closed when not winding the film, and this hasn't caused any problems.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin