Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,514   Posts: 1,543,671   Online: 928

Shooter
    35mm

Xpan 30 lens problem

Hi guys

Just bought an Xpan 30mm lens (bargain condition) from Keh.com and delivery arrived today.

When I inspected the lens, I found some silver particles inside the lens, probably on the second or third element. I took it to a repairer which is close to where I work, and he suggested that this is paint chips inside the lens and he's not sure whether he can fix it. He said that some lenses require a repaint and that's all is needed but some lenses are more difficult. He suggested me to return it to Keh, although he thinks that it will not affect the image quality

What do you guys think? Have you every experienced this problem with Xpan 30mm or any other lenses before?

Thanks for an input!

Cheers

Zane

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi Zane

I can't afford to buy what is a wonderful lens (even second hand on ebay). I don't know whether you shoot monochrome or colour but I suspect that the best thing is probably to quickly shoot off a roll of film and get it developed ASAP and then produce some quite large selective enelargements to see if you can spot any flaws. If you can't, keep the lens, and if you can, then get it sent straight back to Keh.com.

I recently hired a 30mm lens from Calumet in the UK and the ND spot filter that came with it was, to say the least, a little scratched from previous heavy handed use. My 16 x 12 prints seem to have come out ok and it might be the same with the internal paint flecks within the lens?

Graham

Shooter
    Multi Format
    From KEH's descriptions of their condition categories:

EX "Excellent" 80-89% of the original condition. Shows moderate wear. May have small dings, pecks and slight finish wear. Glass may have some dust, but no marks.
    BGN "Bargain" 70-79% of original condition. Shows more than average wear. May have dents, dings and a goodly amount of brassing and finish loss. Glass may have marks that should not affect picture quality.

Since the lens was described as "bargain", I would think that the comments about being able to see any effect on the image quality would control. The repairman is probably correct, but, as the other poster suggested, shoot a roll and see. If you can document a problem, send it back. Otherwise, it seems like you got what you "bargained" for.

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks Graham and jbbooks... I think it's right, you get what you pay for ... but we are talking about $2600USD (ouch...)

There isn't any marks or dents on the lens or the glass, just silver particles inside the lens (about 20 or 30 of them)... it just looks ugly for $2600...

The lens is currently with the repairer and he said he will test it for me and give me an answer in 2 days so that I will have enough time to return if there's a problem. But it's a good idea to shoot a roll and see...

Shooter
    35mm RF
    I also would suggest shooting a roll of film and be sure to include the sun in the photos to see if it causes any flare or halos.

Things to consider: How much would it cost to buy the lens elsewhere? How much would it cost to have it repaired through an authorized Hasselblad dealer?

I agree that $2,600 is a considerable amount of money.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by elekm View Post
    I also would suggest shooting a roll of film and be sure to include the sun in the photos to see if it causes any flare or halos.

Things to consider: How much would it cost to buy the lens elsewhere? How much would it cost to have it repaired through an authorized Hasselblad dealer?

I agree that $2,600 is a considerable amount of money.
    Thanks elekm... I will shoot a roll and see. An excellent condition equiv on Keh.com is about $1000 more...

Shooter
    35mm RF
    For that amount, I might consider having it repaired, as the cost of repair should be considerably less than $1,000. I would expect a repair of this type to run $300 at most (just an estimate), as it would involve removing the lens elements, repainting or removing the paint and then reassembling the lens.

Once completed, you will have a lens in a condition that would have cost you quite a bit more. That's how I would look at it.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin