Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,283   Posts: 1,535,008   Online: 1076

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

Kodak Panoram #1 Repairs

I just picked up a Kodak Panoram #1 today. It is pretty ugly and needs some repairs.

The lens will swing from one side to the other and lock in place, at least on one side. But I do not feel any resistance. Also, the shutter release does nothing. I am not sure how the mechanism is supposed to work but I feel that a gear is stripped.

Before I start tearing into this camera, does anyone have some close-up pictures of the internal mechanism? Can the mechanism be removed from the body of the camera?
    "There are two ways to avoid most trouble in life: live below your means... and within your seams."

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I have the same camera.

There's very little resistance in the lens during the swing. In fact, if you stop it mid-swing you can move it back and forth manually.

Have you tried taking pics with it? The high-speed swing is about 1/100, and aperture is around F11. I'd reccomend shooting a test roll before doing anything else.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    It won't swing at all mechanically. The button does not plunge down either. It definitely is not working.

It does not look like the mechanism can be removed for repairs. They installed the mechanism and then glued the wood together.

Looks like it will live on the shelf.
    "There are two ways to avoid most trouble in life: live below your means... and within your seams."

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Bummer about it living on the shelf. Odd to think it was considered "Not User Servicable" even back then.

Rest assured the Panoram can take excellent pics. I took one (along with a 35mm Widelux) on a trip down all of Route 66 this past July. It did a great job. Somewhat soft lens, but that big neg makes up for a lot.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I saw your posts on Pnet while researching them.

It is odd that it cannot be serviced. Somebody probably manually tried to move the lens tube from inside the camera and stripped its gear.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin