Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,902   Posts: 1,521,137   Online: 1063

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I have named my 7x17 Korona "Shakey Jake". Like many aged ULF cameras it suffers from a marked lack of stability at multiple sites. No amount of tightening will keep the front rail even with the base. The front standard wobbles backwards under the pull of the bellows. The rear standard perches above the base on stilts that allow unintended forward tilt. Nonetheless it takes fabulous images. I love the 7x17 print size even though they don't fit in my print washer. I just bought a Folmer & Schwing 7x17 that I hope will improve on the Korona's deficiencies, but I'm enough of a realist to know what 85 years does to precision machinery.
    BTW, your Korona better have the rear rail included if you plan to use a 450/460 mm lens. Mine doesn't and I can't. The 355 mm Gold Dot Dagor, however, is a superstar. I find any lens less than 250 mm to be "too wide on the wide". Just my taste.

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bandicoot View Post
    Just wondering, any particular reason to want that partticular lens rather than one of the (it seems to me) more common 420mm versions? (I have a 420mm Schneider Repro-Claron that I like very much.)

Peter
    Peter,
    There is no particular reason to use want one particular lens for a format than another. I have both the 420 mm Repro-Claron and the 450 Nikkor-M. I have tried both on my 5x12 and they work fine. The 450 is my choice for most of my shooting with that format though. I did use my 420 during a workshop last summer when I was too close to get the shot I wanted with the 450. So it is nice to have a range of lenses.

Diane
    Diane

Halak 41

JLP
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I just bought a Folmer & Schwing 7x17
    Deckled Edge, If this is the F&S that sold a few days ago, you bought a beautiful camera. I was watching it and thought it would sell for more than it did. Enjoy.

jan

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    JLP
    Yup. That was me. I've lusted after an F&S since the first time I laid eyes on one. I have great hopes. I'll post my findings when I've had a chance to campaign with it a while.

JLP
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Deckled Edge, Lucky you. If i didnt' have a new 8x10 coming in a couple of months i would have been in a bidding war with you

It is rare to see an old camera like your F&S in this kind of condition, hope to see some great photos in the future.

jan

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    The Folmer & Schwing arrived today. Wow. Workmanship is incredible and it's *tight*. Smooth and silky focus using the big wooden knobs. Only problem is that there is no rib-lock channel in the back. I'll have to rout one if I want to use my S&S holders. I have an ancient holder with no rib, and the camera came with a no-name holder in fine shape that has a small rib moved far enough down the holder that it engages the inside of the back, not a channel. Kinda hate to make sawdust from this queen, but if I'm gonna burn Efke, I'll need all my holders. Scan of first image(s) to follow.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Deckled Edge View Post
    I have named my 7x17 Korona "Shakey Jake". Like many aged ULF cameras it suffers from a marked lack of stability at multiple sites. No amount of tightening will keep the front rail even with the base.
    Do you have the stabilizers that mount underneath the camera? If you don't, I could post some pictures. They would be simple to make. I think Tsuyoshi Ito ("Shinnya" on APUG) made his. The rails won't stay level without them.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Deckled Edge View Post
    The Folmer & Schwing arrived today. Wow. Workmanship is incredible and it's *tight*. Smooth and silky focus using the big wooden knobs. Only problem is that there is no rib-lock channel in the back. I'll have to rout one if I want to use my S&S holders. I have an ancient holder with no rib, and the camera came with a no-name holder in fine shape that has a small rib moved far enough down the holder that it engages the inside of the back, not a channel. Kinda hate to make sawdust from this queen, but if I'm gonna burn Efke, I'll need all my holders. Scan of first image(s) to follow.
    Congratulations on the new F&S, scootermm had one of these and it was indeed a nice camera (he moved up to the 12x20 big brother of the F&S 7x17). As I recall, rather than alter the camera he altered the rib on the S&S holders, so you might consider that option. Send Matt a PM, I know he would be happy to discuss it with you. Have fun!!
    Mike C

Rambles

Shooter
    Multi Format
    FWIW I asked Chamnoix about reducing backs. It seems to me the combination of a reducing back and one of their other ULF cameras will be a good option instead of the high cost that some rare older cameras command.

I need to draw/cut up some paper to 5.5"x14" to see just how I might like the format. Of course if the "darkroom" didn't have two windows and generally look like a badly organized storage locker I might crop some prints.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by photomc View Post
    Congratulations on the new F&S, scootermm had one of these and it was indeed a nice camera (he moved up to the 12x20 big brother of the F&S 7x17). As I recall, rather than alter the camera he altered the rib on the S&S holders, so you might consider that option. Send Matt a PM, I know he would be happy to discuss it with you. Have fun!!
    It's done. I posted 3 photos of the setup and the finished groove. In addition to the lack of a groove, the holder area was stained wood, where I prefer flat black paint. The S&S ribs are not tall, so a shallow groove sufficed. The old carpenter's adage "measure twice and cut one" was far outdone today, as I must have measure 15 times before I attacked this antique with a 17,000 rpm bit.
    Here are the three photos, for those whose interest exceeds their initiative to go to the gallery.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Setup 1.JPG   Finished  Slot.JPG   After paint.JPG  

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin