Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,664   Posts: 1,481,684   Online: 776

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Large Format Pan

Korona 7x17 Panoramic vs Korona 5x12 Banquet

I have a question about the differences and relative values of these two cameras. Any assistance would be appreciated. On the one hand the cost of an excellent camera for both configurations is of interest to me. The film availability and luggability is another consideration. However, the relative cost to purchase and availability of both the 7x17 and 5x12 is what I'm primarily interested in now. Is there a copy of McBrooms out there? My understanding is that the 7x17 (sans lens) is approx. $1500 (give or take) and I don't know about the 5x12. Anyone know? Is one camera more rare than the other.

Thank you for any information!

Shooter
    Large Format
    I picked up a Korona 7X17 relatively cheap on eBay; but it needed alot of work. After some sweat equity, its currently very useful (bellows will eventually need replacing). Film for 7X17 is available. Finding Lens with good coverage may be an issue.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Think Igor had a Korona 5x12 a while back that sold for $1450. FWIW, I'm finding the 5x12 contact prints a little small for my liking.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    5x12 vintage cameras are fairly uncommon. The downside is that since there was no ANSI standard whatever with the ULF/panoramic cameras, if your 5x12 does not come with film holders, you're going to have the camera out of commission for an extended period of time while S&S or AWB makes new holders to match your camera. This is less a problem with vintage 7x17 cameras, because it seems that there are a lot more of them out there, and the holders are more standardized and more available. If you want to go with a modern 5x12, however, AWB and S&S make film holders on a scheduled basis to fit the Canham 5x12 back, so you are guaranteed a good fit. I shoot 5x12 and this is the route I went for my 5x12. I have the Canham back that fits on my 5x7 woodfield, and three matching AWB holders. The modern outfit was $3k for the back, bellows, and three holders. If you went with a classic 5x12, if you could find one, you'd be looking at similar money, plus a six month downtime while either your back was adapted or the film holders made to fit.

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    5x12 is considerably more uncommon, at least by ebay and used gear reseller standards. I've only seen one Korona 5x12 for sale. I was weighing 5x12 vs 7x17 for awhile before I decided on 5x12...Make some prints of each size format you're interested in, hang them on the wall for awhile, then pursue the format you like best. Very simple and it really works. Before doing this I was all set to build a 7x17, then after living with some prints for a couple of weeks decided I liked 5x12 much more.
    Last edited by Colin Graham; 12-22-2007 at 07:36 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by doughowk View Post
    Film for 7X17 is available. Finding Lens with good coverage may be an issue.
    I use the following lenses with my Richard Ritter 7x17. 305 G Claron, 355 G Claron, 450 Nikkor M and 600 Fujinon C. All are modern, readily available and provide adequate to excellent coverage for 7x17. The 450 Nikkor seems to get the most use on my camera.

Welcome to ULF,
    John Bowen

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Another upside to 5x12 is that a LOT of lenses for 8x10 will cover 5x12. I've got a number of fantastic optics to fit it. From widest to longest:

159mm f12.5 Wollensak W.A. Raptar - covers, with limited movement, gets soft in the corners pretty fast, but with a 159, who needs movements it's so wide!

210 f6.8 Graphic Raptar - another wonderfully tiny lens with huge coverage - I can apply full rise on my 5x12 and not run out of image circle.

250 f6.7 Fujinon - it covers, with not a lot to spare, but it covers, and it is much smaller than my big Nikon 240, so it travels well.

300 f6.3 Commercial Ektar - what a great lens. 'Nuff said.

I dream about getting the Nikon 450m to use on both the 5x12 and the 5x7.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingCamera View Post
    I dream about getting the Nikon 450m to use on both the 5x12 and the 5x7.
    Just wondering, any particular reason to want that partticular lens rather than one of the (it seems to me) more common 420mm versions? (I have a 420mm Schneider Repro-Claron that I like very much.)

Peter

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    the 450M will cover up to 12x20, and it comes in a Copal 3 shutter. Actually, the 450 M is a very common lens.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingCamera View Post
    the 450M will cover up to 12x20, and it comes in a Copal 3 shutter. Actually, the 450 M is a very common lens.

Yeah, about 1 1/2 years ago, when I got mine, there were 5 listed on Ebay that all closed within a day or two of each other. Needless to say, I think I got a GREAT deal on my 450 M.
    John Bowen

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin