Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,211   Posts: 1,531,986   Online: 1122

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Med. Format Pan

Noblex 150 and Rollei IR Scratching

Hi, I am new here and need a little help please.

I have a Noblex and have been shooting Rollie IR , I have been getting scratches through out frame. It is not on any other film, just Rollie. I have heard this film might have an extra layer on it that causes it to be thicker. Has anybody else had this problem ? I have included a shot to show what is going on...

Thanks I will try to keep up with the wonderful images I see on here.

Merry Christmas and have a great New Year shooting!!!!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DevilsCard2.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	97.6 KB 
ID:	9372

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Has this happened on more than one film, and is it 35mm? By the way, I don't think any thickness variation is the cause of this problem.
    Regards Dave.

An English Eye

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Welcome Chris,

The Rollei IR does not have an additional layer. But it is confectioned from a film designed to be an aero film, which means that it has got a polyester base of a thickness of 100micron.

Well, I just got a bit confused with those acetate bases for rollfilm, as my computer won't hand me my rather complete list of base thicknesses...

The thickness range for acetate bases for rollfilm ranges from something as 90micron or lower up to 125micron.

Thus the base thickness could not rather be the cause of your problem I suppose.
    Last edited by AgX; 12-25-2007 at 01:16 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: got confused...

Shooter
    Med. Format Pan
    this only happens with the Rollie. Ilford Sfx is fine... and this is All 120 format...

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I don't trust my computer and his ability to show me photos.

So, are you sure the artefacts you see are scratches in the actual mechanical meaning?
    Have you thought about an (non-mechanical) effect of the backing-paper?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris28739 View Post
    this only happens with the Rollie. Ilford Sfx is fine... and this is All 120 format...
    Sorry for another question, but have you put a roll of SFX through since using the Rollei film? I am wondering if you have a grain of grit somewhere in the film path, although the damage looks intermittent.
    Regards Dave.

An English Eye

Shooter
    Med. Format Pan
    Yes and it looked fine. I tried Delta 100, I have put 160VC, 160S, Velvia 100 and no scratches...
    And Thank You, I do not mind any questions.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Why not take a micrometer-caliper and measure the actual overal (film plus paper) thicknesses of all the film types you used.

Further the periodicy? of the scratching is something to be looked at. Were those images exposed at once or stayed the film in the camera for some time, which could have induced some certain settings at the rollers? Due to stiffeness this might result in certain kinks in further transport.
    Just guessing.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I’m not going to be much help with this, but for what it’s worth.
    I used the original Maco IR 120, and whilst I found it a very good film, unfortunately it is prone to scratching, just getting it into, or out of a negative sleeve without causing further damage is a challenge. I thought the Rollei version was tougher but it seems that possibly, from your experience, that it is not. My experience with the Rollei IR is limited to two 120 rolls with which I was most disappointed. I haven’t printed the negatives for they don’t excite me. What I’m getting at is that I cannot comment on the newer film directly, but I suspect, from your experience, that it has inherited the lack of durability of the original.
    Regards Dave.

An English Eye

Shooter
    Med. Format Pan

Thanks

Thanks Dave. I just shot a roll with my RB67 with it .. no scratches.. Might have to use a different film stock for Noblex but will still investigate.. what stock do you like for B&W?

AgX thanks also.. The film is always loaded and shot that day. As for the micrometer-caliper I like the idea, but do not own one...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin