Switch to English Language Passer en langue franaise Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,995   Posts: 1,524,283   Online: 855

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Yesterday at the Linhof Factory

Hi,
    Im living in Munich, and yesterday I visited Linhof to get informations about the Technorama 617 SIII (inclusive the 72 Super-Angulon and the 180 Apo-Symmar). Accidentaly I met an old schoolfriend, he is working there. He told me, that its much cheaper to buy one in USA. So, Im planning to make holydays in California this summer and I am looking for Informations where I can buy one and of course the most important thing, the prizes. Im also interrested in Second Hand. Do you have any ideas.
    Thanks Markus

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The Linhof 617 and 612 are fairly rare cameras on the used market. I see maybe two or three of each come up for sale used each year, usually on EBAY. Sometimes these have been bought for projects, then sold after the project ended. The Fuji 617 is slightly more common, though not much lower in price.

In the United States, B&H Photo in New York City is about the lowest pricing from a reasonable dealer. On the West Coast, you can find seveeral Calumet Photo places, with good reputation, though probably not as good pricing. The Linhof 617 is something that would not be likely to be in stock, except maybe at B&H Photo. I know Nelson's Photo Supply in San Diego could order one, with pricing close to B&H Photo, though there would likely be California Sales Tax on top of the price.

Ciao!

Gordon Moat Photography

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Both cameras are on ebay right now.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by HerrBremerhaven View Post
    The Linhof 617 and 612 are fairly rare cameras on the used market. I see maybe two or three of each come up for sale used each year, usually on EBAY. Sometimes these have been bought for projects, then sold after the project ended. The Fuji 617 is slightly more common, though not much lower in price.

In the United States, B&H Photo in New York City is about the lowest pricing from a reasonable dealer. On the West Coast, you can find seveeral Calumet Photo places, with good reputation, though probably not as good pricing. The Linhof 617 is something that would not be likely to be in stock, except maybe at B&H Photo. I know Nelson's Photo Supply in San Diego could order one, with pricing close to B&H Photo, though there would likely be California Sales Tax on top of the price.

Ciao!

Gordon Moat Photography
    Before you decide to purchase in California, here's a great "tax avoidance" play.

Establish what address you will be at in California for shipping purposes.

Arrange to purchase the Linhof from B&H in NY to be shipped to your CA address. If B&H ships out-of-state (i.e. from NY to CA) they do not have to charge you the sales tax!

Just make sure that the sales tax savings exceed the shipping costs versus what it would cost to just buy the camera in CA.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I agree with George. This is an item where the shipping will very likely be less than the sales tax.

Since you're not going to be in the US and don't need a US warranty, you should also check the price at www.badgergraphic.com, which is not an official Linhof US dealer, but has good prices as long as you are willing to ship the camera to Munich for repairs, and since you live in Munich, that shouldn't be a problem.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    a little off topic..."LUCKY"........... yesterday i was at the linof factory.....something i will never say....jeez brag some more....good luck on your hunt.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rkmiec View Post
    a little off topic..."LUCKY"........... yesterday i was at the linof factory.....something i will never say....jeez brag some more....good luck on your hunt.
    I had the same thought!! Markus, have you had a tour of the place? I would love to hear a story about a visit to Linhof!!..Evan Clarke

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Hi,
    thanks for the answers. I was just going there and ive made no announcement. Its an old building with the charm from the 50th, located in the south of Munich. I was ringing the bell and a woman with the same Charm asked for my announcement. I said I want to get Informations about the technorama cameras and after a while (at Lunchtime) a man picked me up. When I entered the sacred hall with all these fine cameras I got soft knees. He explained me the 612 and the 617 and we talked approximately 15 Minutes about photography. I think they also offer a tour to the production area and as well workshops.
    Very friendly and helpfull. recommendable
    Markus
    sorry for my English

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by copake_ham View Post
    Before you decide to purchase in California, here's a great "tax avoidance" play.

Establish what address you will be at in California for shipping purposes.

Arrange to purchase the Linhof from B&H in NY to be shipped to your CA address. If B&H ships out-of-state (i.e. from NY to CA) they do not have to charge you the sales tax!

Just make sure that the sales tax savings exceed the shipping costs versus what it would cost to just buy the camera in CA.
    The safest way to not to pay any sales taxes is to have it shipped to a state with out a sales tax. I've seen internet vendor charge sales taxes for the states that have them. Most states do have a sales tax but there are a few which don't. I don't know all the states that don't have state sale taxes but California and Washington do have sales taxes.
    It's not the camera......

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by freygr View Post
    The safest way to not to pay any sales taxes is to have it shipped to a state with out a sales tax. I've seen internet vendor charge sales taxes for the states that have them. Most states do have a sales tax but there are a few which don't. I don't know all the states that don't have state sale taxes but California and Washington do have sales taxes.
    Yes, but in general state sales tax is not collected on "mail order" purchases, unless the vendor has an office, store or warehouse in the state in which the goods are delivered. For example, some nationwide computer vendors have a warehouse in Memphis, Tennessee to expedite shipments via Fed-Ex (which has its hub there). So, if you were a resident of Tennessee, and you ordered a computer from one of these vendors that even though it does not have its corporate office in Tennessee, because the item is shipped from within Tennessee to a Tennessee address, sales tax would have to be collected.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive     Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin