Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,930   Posts: 1,585,398   Online: 1014

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Well, the Chinese made 6x12 backs are a little cheaper than the Chinese made 6x17 backs. The camera you attach it to is the same.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Unless you go to 5x7 then the 6x17 back is cheaper. But cropping a 5x7 sheet on a cheaper older 5x7 is hard to beat for price.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by David A. Goldfarb View Post
    Well, the Chinese made 6x12 backs are a little cheaper than the Chinese made 6x17 backs. The camera you attach it to is the same.
    Well in that case, I'll have to hold off on this purchase for a while then!

As backwards as this sounds, I'm actually putting some serious money into a new computer (Mac Pro!). Well, I guess that's how life works

Thanks again guys. I'll be back soon (hopefully).

Jason

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    A cheaper way to get something at least close to panorama, would be to use one of your Rolleis with the panorama head accessory. From the examples I've seen, it works pretty great.
    “Do your work, then step back. The only path to serenity.” - Lao Tzu

Shooter
    35mm
    If you really mean "cheap", you may want to build your own camera from black foam core, plywood, etc. Check the F295.org website for ideas on home-built or hand-made type cameras. They specialize in pinhole designs but you can add a lens/shutter if you want. Just dont let the pinhole police (or any of their ilk) catch you. :-)

I hope this helps you.

Paul

Shooter
    35mm
    I have the Fotoman 6x17, and it is great. The view camera with back is going to br the cheapest. If that's still too rich and you want more of a dedicated camera, consider a Widelux. Not 6x17, but there is still a fair amount of real estate to the neg, and you can print it with a smaller enlarger. If you hope to print your 6x17's start looking for a 5x7 enlarger.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Indeed it's well worth considering what Jason said with regard to a Widelux. Certainly an affordable way into the wonderful world of panoramic photography. I use a 35mm Noblex which is however quite an expensive camera but it has great specs. and is very reliable. The 35mm neg. is 24 x 66mm and the lens has an angle of view on the diagonal of 135 degrees.

I also use a 6 x 12 cm back on my 4x5 camera. Very versatile with a good range of lenses giving full coverage with this format. I go as wide as 35mm (Apo Grandagon) which just about covers this format. The Horseman 6 x 12 roll film back is quite affordable and is readily available second hand.

Good luck,
    Trevor.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Aside from the camera itself, how do people print large prints from a 6x17 negative? I'm assuming that with all that detail, most people would want a rather large image to hang up somewhere. Would these prints have to be made at a special facility or pro-photo lab? I can't imagine seeing someone printing a large pano image in a bathroom darkroom

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jasonjoo View Post
    I can't imagine seeing someone printing a large pano image in a bathroom darkroom
    I print 8x10 inch negs in my supersmall, plane-jane darkroom without running water. It's really not that big a deal.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by jasonjoo View Post
    Aside from the camera itself, how do people print large prints from a 6x17 negative? I'm assuming that with all that detail, most people would want a rather large image to hang up somewhere. Would these prints have to be made at a special facility or pro-photo lab? I can't imagine seeing someone printing a large pano image in a bathroom darkroom
    You could make nice contact prints without an enlarger, just about 7 inches long, nice super sharp 3d lookin little jewels. Most persons enlarge them, and as I said you need a
    5x7 enlarger. Thats hardly "special", although much less common than a 4x5 or smaller.

Most labs would use a hybrid aproach, and it would most likely end up on color paper, but with such a nice neg, thats kind of icky. There are some labs that still do B&W printing. Elevator for one (Bob Carnie).

You are moving a bit out of the bathroom realm when you start using 5x7 negs, but it depends on how large your bathroom is, and how convinced you are that the enlarge just has to be in the bathroom. If I had to bathroom print here, I'd make the room adjoining light tight, and use the bathroom for the wet work.

Once you start making negs with a 6x17 (or any biggish neg), you will itch to print them your self.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin