Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,900   Posts: 1,584,389   Online: 661

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Holga
    Images

Labs for 35mm panoramic color film devt.

Just bought a Horizon202 and I'm looking for recommendations for a reliable and reasonable color lab I can trust my film to.
    Thanks in advance.
    Victor
    Holga: if it was any more analog, you'd need a chisel.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    If you were in Sydney Australia I would tell you to come on over and process it here! :-)

~Steve
    The Lighthouse Lab

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I shoot with a roundshot 35 sometimes which does 9" long images on 35mm film and just get the local camera store to run it. They just roll up the uncut negs. Clean scratch free machines help. deep tank machines like refremas do have an advantage as far as scratching, but are only found at pro labs which are becoming rarer all the time.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Good Morning Vic,
    The photolab I use for printing my Horizon panoramic 35mm negatives:

Advantage Color Lab, Inc.
    1002 Eastern Shore Dr Salisbury MD 21804
    410-546-3456

Talk to Andy Patilla

They also can print Half frame color negatives.

All the best,
    Sam H.

Shooter
    Holga
    Images
    Thanks for the helpful information everyone (except Stephen

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Hi Vic,

Try LTI in NYC. www.ltiny.com
    They process every type of film with extreme care. They have done some pano's for me and they came out great.
    With any lab, remember to label the film and envelope with your instructions.
    -ian mazursky nyc
    www.prepressexpress.com PrePress for photographers.
    www.ianmazursky.com Travel, Landscape, Portraits and my 12x20 diary

Shooter
    35mm
    I'm surprised that nobody's yet posted the obligatory APUG response of "process it yourself," so I'll do so.

In case you weren't aware, Vic, developing exposed 35mm film to negatives is pretty straightforward (even for color film) and doesn't require much specialized equipment. An investment of $50-$100 in a film tank, thermometer, measuring cups, additional miscellaneous equipment, and enough chemistry to do several rolls of film will get you started. Per-roll costs thereafter will probably be in the $2 range, depending on film, chemistry, and how much film you shoot. Getting prints will require more hardware, particularly if you want to do it the analog way. On the (gasp!) digital side, some film scanners will easily scan panoramic photos, but others will be awkward at best. If you've got a flatbed or other scanner that does not mark out frames with bars in the film holder, you should be OK for going that route. To do it traditionally, you'll need an enlarger that's capable of handling some variety of MF negative to get the full width of a panoramic negative. (My information is that the Horizon produces 24x58mm negatives, so a 6x6 enlarger should be adequate.)

Anyhow, if you don't have a full darkroom, developing to negatives and then scanning to get prints may be an option that's worth considering. (I assume you don't have a full darkroom, or you probably wouldn't be asking this question.) If you're even remotely interested in learning to process your own film, starting with film alone (and scanning the negatives) is the simplest way to begin. If you don't like it, you can write off your initial investment or sell the tank on eBay to recoup some of the cost. If you like it, you can buy an enlarger and other gear and go the rest of the way.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hey Vic, glad that you bought it, are you happy so far?

Mick.

Shooter
    Holga
    Images
    Hey Mick; Love the 202-it's really sharp and contrasty and the level and viewfinder are really accurate. It was hanging a bit at first (hadn't been used in a couple of years by the previous owner) but having just returned from developing 2 rolls in my darkroom (Fortepan 400 and triX-same times in Rodinal!)it's moving smoothly though the swing at all speeds. working with a 28mm 'prime' was a bit hard to get used to, but the great coverage and depth of field makes for interesting sharp images from front to rear and end to end. Thanks to all for the help and effort. I'm not sure I'll move into color processing but you never know.
    Be Well
    Victor

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Vic, did you get the filters that comes with the camera?

You should have one ND filter, one UV filter and a yellow/green filter.

The yellow green filter is really terrific with B&W film, especially buildings with mortar and bricks, don't know why but it is.

These filters usually reside in the handle.

Do you have an instruction manual? Not that it's really needed, but at least it shows you graphically, how to remove the filters once you have one in place.

Mick.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin