Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,567   Posts: 1,573,482   Online: 746

Shooter
    Medium Format

XPAN 30 mm usage?

Good day folks,

i have recently acquired a near mint xpan kit, included with the 45mm lens is the 30mm lens.

In my very humble opinion at steal of a price; $1000.

Being a poor student, i am confronted with considering selling the 30mm lens, knowing that on average it retails much higher then the actual purchase of my kit.

My question is to fellow 30mm xpanner's ; is to what extent did you employ the 30mm?

The type of photogpraphy one does not withstanding, ( clearly it has an impact as to usage), do owners of the 30mm , find it collecting dust, as the 45mm proved to be more than adequate for various photographic situations.

Therefore un-needed, when money could be better spent on film or student debt recovery!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I owned the Xpan II with the 45mm and the 30mm.

Actually I owned three different 30mm lenses because I had a love/hate relationship with it.
    So I would use it, then sell it, then buy another one.

For me, the 45mm was a terrific lens for the camera.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    I use my 30mm over half the time. The rest of my photos are split between the 45 and the 90.

That said, I think that how other people use a piece of equipment is a very poor measure of that object. Since you have the lens, take it out and see if you like it. But it did take me awhile to get used to it. You may find it indispensable as your primary lens (as I did), you might find it much too wide for your taste and thus worthless for your photography or you could decide that you might want to use it occasionally.

Since you are a poor student, do you need the money immediately? If so, you can sell the lens and make a profit. Then, later when you have the money, you could buy one used. Otherwise, get to know the lens on your terms. Take your time and decide if it is worth keeping. You can always sell it later if you don't want it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I like the 30mm and use it a lot - I have the three lenses and the 30mm probably gets the most use, followed by the 90mm, though all three get used well.

The best advice is the advice you've already received: use it for a while and see how you like it, you can always sell it now at a profit and maybe buy another one later.

If you find yourself liking the 30mm as much as or more than the 45mm, then I'd say you should keep it. (And keep the 45mm too as it won't bring that much money used since almost everyone who buys and X-pan gets a 45mm with it.)

If the 45mm appeals more, consider selling the 30mm: the 45mm is a fine lens and you'll have more than enough scope with it to keep you interested for a long time without needing a second lens that you don't like as much anyway.

The 90mm is a whole lot of fun too - if longer lenses appeal to you you could sell the 30mm, get a 90mm, and still have a good chunk of cash left. It depends - as it always does - on what your own shooting style is.

Peter

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Keep it, but if you want to sell it, let me know, I'm looking for it.
    Jose A. Martinez

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You need to keep the 30mm. If you sell it you will regret it.

Try it out - It was the last lens I bought for the Xpan and I haven't used the other lenses since.

Enjoy!

Shooter
    Sub 35mm
    wonderful! 30 mm
    You Can See It - 30 mm ,take picture
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/xpan/co...7602684260557/

Quote Originally Posted by SimonXpan View Post
    You need to keep the 30mm. If you sell it you will regret it.

Try it out - It was the last lens I bought for the Xpan and I haven't used the other lenses since.

Enjoy!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Well, if you DO sell...I just bought a minty Xpan w/45mm lens. I'm happy to help you unburden your mind. 8^)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've only had my 30mm lens for about two months now (but I'll still be paying for it for a few months longer!) and given that some of my recent shots have been ones from locations that I've been 'saving up' for use with a wider lens, my shooting has been a bit skewed. However, having experienced using the lens and seen how wide it goes, and also how extremely good the quality is, I would expect my shooting in future to be about 40% 30mm, 40% 45mm and 20% 90mm. I like to use the 90mm a fair bit, perhaps more than some users do, and and I also use the camera in its 35mm mode as a replacement for my SLR, again perhaps more than some others, although I do miss the ease of using certain filters.

Graham

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin