Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,691   Posts: 1,548,907   Online: 979

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    Just curious, has anyone approched Film For Classics about custom cutting for Cirkut-sized film (or other)? They already cut down rolls from Kodak for a variety of formats, maybe they have the correctly-sized equipment already.

Just a thought. I don't do panoramic myself (yet), but I find this topic fascinating
    i can't wait to take a picture of my thumb with this beautiful camera.

- phirehouse, after buying a camera in the classifieds

Shooter
    Large Format
    In the data on B&W aerial film, Kodak mentions "dyed-gel backing". I don't know if this is the same as antihalation backing. There is also the phrase "extended red sensitivity ", which may or may not mean something in term of general photography. I recall someone on one of the large format forums using aerial film cut to sheet film sizes and being satisfied with th results. I'll have to search and see if I can find that post.
    If I were looking for B&W film right now, I would search for any commercial studio that does aerial photography, and see if they have any outdated film they might sell at a discount. If that turns out to be a dead end, then buying a new roll from Kodak would seem to be the alternative. Actually, the new price of approx. $4/foot isn't all that horrible. I think the last 8" Verichrome Pan I bought before it was discontinued was close to $25 for a 6 foot roll. Of course that was spooled to go directly into a Cirkut. I've seen posts recently that film costs are going up a lot due to the increased price of silver. I wonder if 9 1/2" aerial is still being sold at the "old" price? The B&H price of around $900 for 250 feet may seem cheap a couple of years from now.
    I seem to recall Bill McBride showed me pictures of a Chinese pan camera that used 8" to 10" width film. I've always wondered if there is a China source for film used in that camera.

Shooter
    ULarge Format

Wrapping cirkut film

Quote Originally Posted by jamie young View Post
    ...I asked Simon at Ilford and was told they didn't want to consider it for packaging reasons and quality control because of the packaging (correct me if I have this wrong Simon)....
    Hello Jamie,

I am pretty sure that I have the #6 Cirkut Outfit from the pictures that I have been looking at on-line. I will dig it out this afternoon - it was -23C this morning. But now for my question: I have a roll of 10 inch film from J&C. I know this, because I came upon the labelled cardboard box, which is now storing some of my emulsion notes. I put the film, still in the original black plastic, in the freezer when it arrived. As I recall, the film did not seem to be wrapped all that well. Do you, or anyone else, know if there is another layer of light-proof material underneath? It just seemed to be folded into the ends of the roll. I would like to know before I open it in the darkroom.

Thank you.

Cheers,
    Clarence

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    clarence
    I remember Jim was selling a 6 outfit at some point. Don't remember if it was a fan or governor model. Ron can still help with gears either way. Don't know about the J&C film question. You can just get some thick black construction plastic that doesn't pass light, and make another bag or two to make sure it doesn't get exposed.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Clarence - I'm almost certain you have a #6 Outfit. I remember Jim advertising one. The #6 Camera is a pretty rare bird. I think only about 100 were ever made. The #6 Outfit is much more common. The #6 Outfit takes 6 1/2" wide film normally. I believe the film spool holder can also be set to take 5" wide film which was used in the #5 camera. So you can split your 10" wide film into two 5" widths, or 6 1/2" and 3 1/2" (maybe usable in a big old folder or Kodak Panoram). It is also possible to make spool adapters to shoot 220 film, so you can learn to use the Cirkut with cheaper film.

I would suggest having Ron make you at least some gears, just so you can get the Cirkut usable. I think the tooth profile needs to be pretty accurate, or you will get banding in the negs from uneven running. You might be able to make a fly cutter bit, but I suspect you really need an involute gear cutter or a hob arrangement to get a smooth running gear. The #6 Outfit usually came with either a double convertible lens, or a Turner-Reich triple convertible lens. So the camera bed should have either two or three focusing scales with gear numbers for different distances. Get two or three gears made for one focal length and you can start using the Outfit. You can have additional gears made later. However, you may not have the original lens. If the focal lengths on the bed focus scales match the focal lengths on the lens aperture scale, it is likely original. You can also have gears made for a modern lens, but that involves finding the nodal point of the lens in order to calculate the number of teeth needed, and making a focusing scale. You can learn to do this, but Ron can do it quicker. Assuming he has time to work on other people's cameras.

Shooter
    ULarge Format

#6 Cirkut Outfit

Hello Ron and All,

Well I found Jim's photos of the camera. Tell me more. Thank you for all the info so far. Making a hob to make involute gears is not a problem, but there are no gears at all with the camera. I am not against having someone else make gears, it is usually faster (and cheaper). I may have some other sizes (widths) of film. I bought them from J&C to cut down for old roll film formats well before I bought Jim's camera (last August).

Oh yes, thanks for the hints on cutting and testing with 220. I expect a number of disastrous test runs.

Cheers,
    Clarence
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 6Cirkut_0.jpg   6Cirkut_1.jpg   6Cirkut_3.jpg  
    Last edited by CRhymer; 04-05-2008 at 06:34 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: added info

Shooter
    Large Format
    Clarence - I looked at some of my old notes and found the gears for the #6 & #8 Outfits and #10 Camera were 32 pitch, with 14 1/2 degree pressure angle. I thought I would post this if you want to check on gear cutters. I used to look on eBay for involute cutters, but I never found any with the right specs. Maybe I gave up too soon. New cutters may be available. I never checked into new ones, thinking they would be really pricey.

Gear sets show up on eBay, but different Outfits and Cameras use different stem lengths/sizes, so you need to know what you are buying. If you have a lathe, you could make new stems to fit your Outfit.

Len

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Hello Len,

I can machine and harden a custom hob (I have both lathe and mill - actually two of each - don't ask). I also have to make the base (tripod head). By the way, what is the difference between the fan and governor type. That may be obvious when I look at the actual camera.

Cheers,
    Clarence

Shooter
    Large Format
    Clarence - I can't tell for sure, but I think your Cirkut back may be a fan drive, rather than a governor drive. Look on the back and see if there is a flat lever which moves to different marked speeds - 1/2 through about 1/12 (I'm doing this from memory, which is none too good). If there isn't a speed selector, and there is a shaft or two poking out of the bottom of the back (can't see from the pics), then it is a fan governor control. This means you need to make a set of fans, in addition to needing gears. Maybe Jamie has a pic of the fans. Fans should be way easier to make than gears.

eBay #110239245018 shows the bottom of a fan governor Attachment. I suspect your looks like this.

Len

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    That looks like a fan camera to me. The gears on the fan cameras have holes instead of shafts. I will try to take some pics at some point. I have two fan cameras, a 10 and a 16. Each size can be a little different, but most of my 10 and 16 gears are interchangeable, as they were made at just about the same time. The shafts on the governor cameras tended to be different lengths for the different size cameras

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin