Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,501   Posts: 1,543,370   Online: 812

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Shooter
    ULarge Format

Cirkut Fans (and I don't mean friends)

If you don't care about originality, and own a lathe, a nice fan can be made out of square stock bored for the knurled screw that holds it to the shaft. Then add FOUR fan blades (one on each side, they don't need to radiate from the exact center) and balance it between centers on the lathe. Use trial and error to figure out the speed you are going to end up with. I guess I'm just happy with a 3/4 second fan even if it is an odd speed. I've tried adding weight thinking that would even out the spin. It does, but it takes some time to get up to speed. There is probably the exact right combo in there somewhere. I think a real improvement would be a fan that has a bearing support on the outside end of the shaft. That would prevent wobble.

You can add pieces of flat metal ,foam board, or mat board to a fan to slow it down for long exposures. I have one somewhere in my collection that is so big the bottom sides are beveled to prevent it from hitting the tripod legs. It's cool to watch it spin in slow motion and you could read a book during the exposure. Needless to say it isn't used much but looks good when you are on a stage demonstrating the cirkut for that big ego rush we all need to get once in a while.

The way the original fans were made is a bit complicated to keep the knurled screw from falling out. Not a problem if you have dedicated machines to make thousands of them but a pain to duplicate one or two and make money. I've made them just to prove I could do it, but when it takes all day to make something they are hard to sell. Again, if the demand were high, a person could make the tooling needed to mass produce the parts. We know that ain't gonna happen in this day and age but can dream.

Ron

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ron
    Any chance you could post a photo of the 4 blade fan. I've been curious about it for a while

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Cirkut Composition Question....

This active thread is probably the best place to ask, due to its high level of activity and expertise.

I have experience shooting with a 35mm Widelux and a 120-format Kodak Panoram.

The Widelux bows architecture a lot, Panoram less so.

Reading / browsing "America by the Yard" last night, I noticed that some Cirkut photos the buildings' bowing of straight lines behind is minimal to non-existent. One pic in particular, a group of pre-WW2 Japanese families posed in what looks like a straight line, parallel to the buildings behind them. That shot intrigued me, because I'm thinking that a paying architectural client (say, a farmer who wants barn and outbuildings and house, or a golf course owner who wants clubhouse and restaurant and bar in the shot) would want minimal bending of straight lines, to closely mimic reality.

So my question is: how to minimize bowing / dipping of straight lines in the Cirkut, for those times you don't want them..?

My guess is to use a longer lens, and fewer degrees of sweep. Correct?

Humbly submitted, since I don't quite own a Cirkut yet.... but it's a lot cheaper to ask now than to burn film experiementing, for such a basic question.
    Last edited by DougGrosjean; 04-09-2008 at 10:51 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Weird carriage returns....

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Part of it is using a long lense when you can, which is practical with a cirkut. The other thing is to avoid sweeping a building so that the size goes from smaller to larger back to smaller again. Like if you place the camera right in front of the middle of the building, the middle is largest in the frame, and the building gets progressively smaller on both sides as you move away from that point. If the composition allows for the corner edge of the building to be closest to the lense the barrel effect is minimized.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thanks, Jamie.

I had come up with the same answers, but using logic from a different direction.

Figured a longer focal length would produce a bigger arc. That arc would be the plane of good focus. With the bigger arc, no part of the building would be as far from that plane of good focus as they would with a smaller arc, so the bowing would be lessened, and the image would appear to be flattened a bit.

I'm guessing that terms exist in this world for the concepts I'm describing, but I don't know the terms yet.

WJC

Shooter
    Large Format
    Hi Doug,
    Although I am not a circuit shooter I noticed a #10 Circuit system for
    sale At Igor Camera Exchange in Columbus, Ohio. See his website
    under panoramic cameras.

Warren Clark

WJC

Shooter
    Large Format
    Hi Doug,

Correction: Igor Camera is in Cleveland.

Warren Clark

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Hi Warren,

Thanks!

That was actually the first one I checked on, thanks to its proximity to me (about 70 miles from my work). Price was a little on the high end - but I emailed Igor that I was shopping and interested, asking if I could come and look at it, see it run. I didn't say so, but perhaps an extremely nice unit would be worth what he was asking. No response; so I moved on.

It now looks like I've found a Cirkut. The owner has tentatively agreed to sell to me, is currently checking with his friends to make sure his price is fair to both parties. I've told him to take his time doing so, and to be sure. We're also figuring out other minor details, ie, a date to pick it up. That's all I will say for now, so that I don't endanger the transaction in any way.

I'm so excited about it I can barely contain myself. The seller, and several people behind the scenes here, have done me a very big favor by advising me and pointing me in the right directions in my quest for a Cirkut. I'm humbled and grateful.

More details at some point in the future. It's like a fairy tale come true for me...

Doug

Shooter
    Large Format
    Doug - That is great news you seem to have found a #10. I agree the Igor Camera #10 is at the top end of the price scale, but it is hard to define a fair price for a #10 as so much depends on the condition and completeness of the camera. If are lucky enough to find one that the owner has actually used, it is probably worth a bit of a premium, compared to an eBay camera of unknown condition. I'm looking forward to hearing the #10 has actually followed you home and you are having hours of fun playing with it.

Len

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Hello:

I am new to this forum and like what I see so far.....

I just happend to see this thread and just had to respond.

I have a MINT condition Folmer-Schwing Cirkut #10, complete and in 9+ condition as well as a Rochester-Kodak Cirkut #10 in operational condition and am considering selling them both.

In addition, I have a Rochester-Kodak Cirkut #16 needing a proper lens. Any suggestions?

Anyone have any info of the "Bell Panoramic" cameras?

Thanks to all.
    Richard L
    SafariShootS
    Oregon coast

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin