Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,929   Posts: 1,585,227   Online: 821

Page 1 of 8 1234567 ... LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

Hunting for a #10 Cirkut Camera

Hi all,

Hunting for a #10 Cirkut camera.

Anybody know of a working example somewhere that could be purchased?

I've had some successes locally shooting (and selling) panos, and would use it to shoot vintage car and vintage motorcycle groups, as well as some landscapes.

So, any leads? Any suggestions?

And yes, I realize that a hi-res digital camera, a pano head, and a stitching program would in many ways equal the Cirkut. But I like the idea of a Cirkut, and I think that for the audience I'm shooting for (vintage car and bike enthusiasts), the Cirkut would be a draw and a help, and possibly a trip down memory lane.

I'm fairly confident (though I could be wrong) that I have the mechanical ability to run one, and to process the negs and the prints. I already process 4x5 stuff, and contact-print it. And my day job is mechanical design, with a lot of hands-on experience; plus some time spent as a portrait photog.

Thanks in advance, for any leads..!

Doug Grosjean, NW Ohio

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    You might try contacting Kenneth Snelson. He might be able to give you ideas if nothing else. (Like where you're going to get film for such a beast.)
    Last edited by c6h6o3; 04-01-2008 at 05:20 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thanks, email sent to Kenneth. Will see what happens.

I watch for them on the auction site, and they come up once in a great while, but I wouldn't mind if I could buy one in a few weeks instead of in a few months.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Jamie Young may be able to help as well.

http://www.jamieyoungphoto.com/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

hunting for a #10 cirkut

I don't know of anyone selling right now, but guess that Ron Klein might know or even have some for sale. He's a great person, very helpful, and definitely one of the best cirkut photographers around. He checks this forum on occasion, and is known as "panoramic" on apug.
    I'm also happy to share any info I have. Phone and email on my web sight. If you find an open source for film or are planning on special ordering let us all know.
    www.jamieyoungphoto.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It should be mentioned that a 10" by 96" negative on thin 120 roll film base is 960 sq inches, compared to 20 sq inches for a 4x5 negative. Everything about it is on a very different scale. I started with a #8 camera doing 8" by 7 foot negs, and it took a while to get the hang of things, but got lots of help from experienced people. I moved up in size to a #10 and then a # 16 camera, which made the 8" negs seem small. It's all very doable, and I and others would be happy to help, but figure on getting enough extra film for the learning curve you will have learning to operate the camera. It really is a very different scale than 4x5 though.

Shooter
    Large Format
    you might also contact jim gali.
    a while back he had one for sale here, ( i think ? )
    and if it didn't sell he might still be selling it ...

what a great idea + subject matter for a cirkut camera.

good luck!
    john

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by DougGrosjean View Post
    Hi all,

And yes, I realize that a hi-res digital camera, a pano head, and a stitching program would in many ways equal the Cirkut.
    Uh, no. Not even remotely the same thing.

Anyway, I'd second getting a hold of Galli. He's a magnet for these things.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thanks for all the replies and kind words.

I've got some other feelers out now, including to Ron Klein, Kenneth Snelson, and a couple others, so will see what happens.

The old car / old bike idea is a bit of serendipity. Photos I've taken that people have raved about (and bought) have usually been those subjects.

Plus, my father is into old cars, ie, Model T Fords, repairs them for a living, is active in local clubs. 70 miles to the north of me is Greenfield Village, and its car and bike shows during the summer. The 100th anniversary of the Model T Ford is this summer, and a large event is planned about 120 miles southwest of here. Then 100 miles southeast is Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course and motorcycle Vintage Days. Other friends of mine are active in old bikes. So I have a network of contacts already in place, accidentally, and if I do good work I believe I can make the sale, and everybody will be happy.

And if I fail? Well, I've been considering a Cirkut for a long time (couple years) anyway.

Jamie Young - thanks for the offer of tips. A naive question, but wouldn't a 9:1 (96" x 10") negative apply only to a full 360d pano? Guessing at that because my stitched 35mm Widelux 360s are about a 9:1 aspect ratio. I'm betting I'd rarely go beyond 180d, and that would mean 48" negs. Pondering it all in my head, I'm thinking that big round black plastic trash cans in the bathtub could be used as developing tanks, and I could cobble up a big reel somehow, 10" tall. The reel would need a big handle, so it could be lifted out and /or turned for agitation. Inversions would be out... I don't know if tray development is practical, but I have my doubts, given the negative / print length. Esp. if negs or contact prints are longer than my bathtub.

Jason: my poor choice of words saying that a hi-res digi would be similar to a Cirkut. My thought was that to some customers, modern cam + stitching might be the same. But am hoping that among vintage car and vintage bike guys, the Cirkut would be part of the draw, and they'd prefer that their antiques be photographed by an antique.

Ideally, and this might be naive too, I'd like to be able to produce consistent results in 6-12 months. One incentve for that timeframe is there's a local bar & grill that burned down on Christmas Eve 2007, that I'd shot with the Widelux on one of their Bike Nights. Here's that pic, several copies have been sold, and a couple donated to a benefit for the bar owner where they brought a very good price.... Katie's Kitchen is now the final building standing on that block, the rest is just a dirt field.

http://photo.net/bboard-uploads/00NrLy-40718584.jpg

They're going to rebuild on the same lot, if possible, and when I suggested to the owner a pano of his employees outside the new building, and what a cool shot that would be 10-20 years down the road, he agreed and suggested customers and employees. I could shoot it with my Widelux 35mm or my Kodak Panoram, but I think I could shoot it much better with a Cirkut.

I have ideas for other uses for the Cirkut as well. Re-photographing some small towns that were shot 100 years ago on Cirkuts, small-town gatherings, a full 360d of Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course during Vintage Bike Days... stuff like that. Demand already exists for my smaller pano work, and I think I could translate that into demand into Cirkut work. Crossing my fingers, anyway.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi Doug
    The #10 camera usually came with a 10-18-24 triple convertible lense
    The length of the 360 image will be 2πr or 2π focal length, so
    6.28 x 10 = 62.8” (kind of like a widelux focal length)
    6.28 x 18 = 113.04”
    6.28 x 24 = 150”

I have a 24” apo artar on my #10 and routinely shoot 8 foot negs
    http://jamieyoungphoto.com/Cirkut%20...eople%201.html

I was also thinking of film rolls Kodak sold, labeled at 6 feet, but often 7-8 feet long.
    No reason you couldn’t shoot shorter ones, but you might find that using a longer lense like the 18" group will work well for some of the shots you’re thinking of doing.

I’m tray processing all my cirkut work, and it works for me.
    What are you going to do for film? Have you looked into this at all? It’s a bit of a problem now and worth looking into before you get a camera. If you find a source let me know.
    Also I’m planning on going to Bill Schwab’s Photostock 2008 3rd Annual Northern Michigan Photographer's Gathering (about 90% sure) and would be happy to go out with you and show you stuff with a cirkut. Or if you are ever in Madison, WI

Page 1 of 8 1234567 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin