Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,856   Posts: 1,582,963   Online: 980

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

ideas to shoot 6x12.5 cm in Fotoman 617

I bought a Fotoman 617 Mk-IIL Kit with Rodenstock 90/6.8 Grandagon-N. I love the idea of work with this camera in my "In Extremis" project (slaughterhouses and morges).

My problem is that I can't enlarge wider than 5 inches, 125 mm. I'll appreciete ideas to use this camera in that wide, 5 inches, and print full frame.
    Last edited by Jose A Martinez; 04-11-2008 at 02:03 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    Jose A. Martinez

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I love this format (6x17). I rented a Fuji a couple of times and did some street shooting with it. I had to use an 8x10 enlarger with a glass carrier. I think a 6x12 will fit a 4x5 enlarger...no?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I think he wants to mask in the camera so he can print with the film edges. If not he could just centre the negative in a 4x5 glass carrier.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick Zentena View Post
    I think he wants to mask in the camera so he can print with the film edges. If not he could just centre the negative in a 4x5 glass carrier.
    Yes, it should technically fit a 4x5. But my Beseler 4x5 carrier is slightly smaller than the 5" across. I guess depending on how much of the neg he wants to see.

I tried putting a piece of right inside the neg carrier and that should work better than a real 4x5 carrier if he needs to get more of the neg. A 4x5 corners will clip the corners if I want to print full frame 4x5 on my Beseler 4x5mcrx.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've made black matt board neg carriers. I don't remember what the outside size of the Beseler holders are but they are bigger then the format. Should be possible to make up a holder out of something like matt board.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I use a glass carrier to print the xpan negs. The problem is that in my Durst enlarger I can't go more than 5 inches and the neg in a 60 x 170 mm is almost 7 inches wide. My first idea is to mask the camera and use it in 60 x 125 mm (2 1/4 x 5 inches). As a someone suggested me, I always can buy a 5x7 enlarger. Another solution is contact print, that is quite a good size.

The real question is if someone have an idea how to mask the camera 2 1/4 x 5 inches.
    Jose A. Martinez

Shooter
    Large Format
    I would try taping or gluing (something removable) some pieces of black paper or card inside the film gate. This might be a little tricky because is looks like there is no ledge to seat the mask on, and you have to make sure it's light tight around the edges and doesn't touch the film. Then you might have to experiment with the film backing numbers to get the right frame spacing for 6x12...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    6 x 17 neg will fit in a 5 x7 enlarger, 6.69291 inches. 12mm is 4 3/4 inch long minus a few thousandths.
    It's not the camera......

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I think that the right thing to do is to buy a 5x7 enlarger. Meanwhile I can contact print, or mask the film plane as j_landecker suggests. At the end it would be a matter of invest more money on equipment.
    Jose A. Martinez

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Jose A Martinez View Post
    I think that the right thing to do is to buy a 5x7 enlarger. Meanwhile I can contact print, or mask the film plane as j_landecker suggests. At the end it would be a matter of invest more money on equipment.
    Why not buying a 612 Fotoman? If you always shoot 612 it's easier to roll the film with correct numbers rather than doing the arithmetics on your 617 masked format. But the 612 is rather a different format, not so panoramic at all.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin