Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,566   Posts: 1,545,396   Online: 1072

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Doug, as everyone's favorite blonde would say: "That's hot"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Doug I want that camera. Well done!
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    35mm
    Nice work Doug!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Nice shot I like the way you wrote on it. Like you said, it's like the old cirkut shots. I've never been able to bring myself to write on the negs like they used to do though

Shooter
    Multi Format
    That's cool, Doug! I've never really gotten into panoramic photography myself but have a 318 degree contact print of 18 Ford Model A's, taken with a Cyclo-Pan 70 according to the label, that has been on my wall since the 1980's. I look forward to seeing more!

Images
    Cool, only the parking lines really give away the curve.
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thanks all, for the kind words. Glad you liked!

Glad too that my friend humored my request. Going to get a print of it this Friday for myself, I think.

Jamie, the similarities are intentional. Similar techniques, similar solutions, and similar impact when people see them. I've located a Cirkut BTW, picking it up this summer, but before I get up to speed on it I can hone the composition and group skills with my Widelux and Panoram, on family and friends. There's a couple family reunions I'm going to shoot with pano techniques. I have studio portrait experience, so I'm not afraid and I have a clue.... Have been making drawings and figuring out the best arc radius for X number of people.

Brian - thanks! My father's into Model T Fords, works on them in his auto repair shop for customers, and there's a big get-together for the 100th anniversary of the Model T Ford in Centerville, IN this summer. Hoping to have lots of subject matter there...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It's fun to set these shots up. One of my cirkuts came with a big ball of twine and a box of chalk for setting up group shots.Doug - I look forward to seeing more.
    Here are two links for large group shot I did a few years ago.
    First, a color version on my site of the shot
    http://www.jamieyoungphoto.com/sycam...0tractors.html

the next link takes you to the aerial shot showing the actual scene. I'm right in the middle
    http://www.threshingbee.org/contents.html
    I used lots of rope to get an accurate circle, and was about 60 feet from the circle.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Jamie, thanks for the tip on chalk and twine. You'll see more pano / swing-lens stuff from me, as I plod along up the learning curve.

The tractors shots...excellent! I like the one with people better, as the people give scale to the tractors. The aerial shot rocks, too. I was trying to figure out from the furrows just how many degrees of rotation. I was pretty sure it was quite a bit beyond 180, because I could see the furrows in the pano converging in the center of the shot, then straightening out on each side, and then finding convergence points again. I'm impressed that you thought enough about the layout to have the furrows converge in the middle.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It's about 320 to 330 degrees, and the furrows hit the middle by accident. I actually set the shot up so the sun would be directly behind the middle of the shot, in the narrow gap in the circle, to minimize flare and backlighting. Lighting tends to override the other stuff for me. I like the people shots too, but I was requested to do the other. In the end (after I started breaking down) they all got on the tractors and blew their whistles. It was quite a sound, and sight, which i regretted not being ready for. Oh well.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin