Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,727   Posts: 1,515,157   Online: 1050

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Shooter
    Medium Format
    << It's about 320 to 330 degrees, and the furrows hit the middle by accident. .... Lighting tends to override the other stuff for me. >>>

Ah, got it.

<< I like the people shots too, but I was requested to do the other. In the end (after I started breaking down) they all got on the tractors and blew their whistles. It was quite a sound, and sight, which i regretted not being ready for. Oh well. >>

Could they blow the whistles long enough for you to have caught it on the Cirkut? I'd figured the transit of the camera across 320d would be a minute or so...

Beautiful stuff, I'm very impressed.

Here in rural Ohio, we have some stuff like that.... Wauseon has a huge tractor get-together right off Ohio Turnpike. Steam, gasoline, kerosene, etc. But at the couple of them I've attended, nobody was shooting Cirkut photos.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Doug:

You mentioned how the wide panorams were often taken at family reunions, town gatherings, etc. They were often used for military unit shots which are still seen hanging on the walls in military museums and headquarters. If you examine very many of them you will sometimes see a guidon (unit flag) at each end of the formation of soldiers. If you will check it very closely, the same person will appear with the guidon at each end of the formation.

A popular thing to do was to have the cameraman yell "now" when he started the shot, the guidon bearer would wait 1 second, then duck down and run behind the formation to the other end and stand there. If he did so with the proper degree of alacrity, he would be in place before the slow moving lens reached that side. Hence, the same guidon bearer appeared on both sides of the panoramic photo.

Pentaxuser:

When I was young, back in the 1960's, Dad used to take me for rides on his Henderson motorcycle from the 1930's era . . . sometimes behind him and sometimes in a canvas & frame (like the old timey airplanes) side car.

EuGene

Shooter
    Medium Format
    B&Jdude,

There's an entire book of Cirkut photos titled "America by the Yard." In it, they call those types of trick photos "double-enders," and have several examples.

Funny thing - after reading about that, I looked close at a Cirkut photo in a Detroit restaurant my g/f and I eat at regularly. It's a military group, taken at Belle Isle in the Detroit River, IIRC. Man on horseback at each end. Since it's only a 6" tall Cirkut photo, it's hard to recognize the man - but the horse is one and the same.

Regarding Hendersons and airplanes.... I have an aquaintance in Boulder CO, whose grandfather Carl Vandre is a bit of a Henderson guru. The grandson is a gifted machinist. Together they build a V-6, then later the grandfather (who learned to run a CNC machine while in his late 70s) built a V8. If you Google the grandfather's name, you'll find it easily - been a lot of magazine articles on it.

No, I didn't get to ride either one, nor in the sidecar of either one. But Carl saw that my g/f was getting bored with all the men talking machinery, and took her for a spin in the sidecar of the V6. She was sure grinning big when she returned.

Shooter
    Holga
    Images
    That's a great shot. What do you have there, a 100GS?
    I've borrowed an older widelux and found it quirky but very sharp and well made and once I got used to it (aka-didn't get my thumb in the frame) it became a new way of seeing. I've since bought a much cheaper Horizon202 and though inferior in build and user design, so far so good.
    Victor
    '80 R65
    Holga: if it was any more analog, you'd need a chisel.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I too think it is a pretty good picture as well. Yes it looks like an R100GS with the American panniers I looked closely at before purchasing the Touratech ones from Germany (actually made in Switzerland though).

One of the better things you can do with the R100GS is to put another disc and brake caliper from one of the K100 bikes (K100RS I think) and you end up with a set of twin discs up front which really stop in a hurry without twisting the front end.

An interesting combination for desert rally work that the Swiss, French and Germans do to these bikes, is to put an R1100GS rear end on. They don't break as easily as the original rear end.

Mick.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Hi,

Jersey Vic - yes, an R100gs. I bought it in May 2005 with about 40k miles, and it's now close to 90k miles. And yes, the Jesse bags that are made in Phoenix AZ. I've also got a good shock absorber on the back, though the name escapes me at the moment. Not Ohlins, but comparable. And some Aerostich tank panniers, made in Duluth MN. Understood about the thumbs... I was getting jacket cuff and car keys in my first few shots.

Mick - thanks for the tip on the brakes. I probably won't spend the money on the brake mod, it's really just an old (but nice and pleasant) bike. Interesting on the R11gs rear-end, as a buddy totalled his R11gs up in the Northwest Territories on a trip we did together. Bike fell in mud, then traction, then cartwheeled, cracked the swingarm open right at the para-lever pivot. Photos are at the URL below. I saw that a year or two after that, the design / shape of that area became much more rounded....

http://www.ibmwr.org/pastevnt/grosjeanalaska/day13.html

FWIW, I'm doing a shoot on June 14th and 15th at a local historical museum, for their Heritage Days. I don't have a Cirkut (yet), so I'm using a Kodak Panoram and Cirkut techniques, ie, subjects in an arc. Backdrop will be an oil well / equipment from about 100 years ago. Subjects will be reenactors and volunteers and anybody that shows up. Should prove interesting..... URL below, scroll about halfway down if interested. Show up if local....

http://www.woodcountyhistory.org/pr_...tml#wchd_demos

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by DougGrosjean View Post
    Pentaxuser:
    Well, my BMW is a 1960s design, with pushrods and the cam in the block. Basic layout identical to the 1969 R75/5 BMW, but with hardened cylinders and electronic ignition and a single-sided swingarm.
    IIRC, the BMW two-cylinder 'boxer' design was actually first made waaay back in the 1920s or '30s, and are basically the same as modern BMW boxers (ignoring, of course, the technological improvements that have been made over the years.)

Cool shot, by the way, though panoramic photography usually isn't my 'thing.'

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Steveopedia, you're basically correct.

Basic layout is a opposed-twin cylinders, dry clutch, and separate trans, with a driveshaft at the end.

That layout is still around, but all the internal architecture is changed. It's evolution, but not steady, it's in spurts. For example, the cam started on top the block, then moved under the block, then moved out on top the cylinder with a chain drive.

Thanks for the nice comment! Panoramic photography, to do it well, is the most difficult photography I've done, and also the most rewarding when I get it right.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin