Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,206   Posts: 1,531,849   Online: 933

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Not to muddy the waters more, but are you thinking of the swimming pool in Dawson City? Because that was movie film from the teens and twenties. I think...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Let's see now... World's (second) largest camera was found in the muddy waters of a thawed skating rink/swimming pool along with all of it's movie film? Have I got that right?

Shooter
    ULarge Format

Sheelor's Big camera

I own the big 22 inch cirkut camera that Floyd Shellor had made in Tonopah, or at least I own what's left of it.

The camera is missing the lens, bellows, and turntable, but I do have the tripod, basic camera body, and the film magazine with one empty spool of film. It's a long story as to how I found it. Basically the stars were in perfect alignment when I found myself in a very wet and falling down warehouse in Skagway Alaska. You would not believe the amount of old rotting junk in the place and most of it was wet from the leaking roof. The camera only looks like a beat up suitcase and it was underneath a huge pile of stuff that included a broken toilet bowl. I was able to INSTANTLY identify it as a cirkut camera because I own a #16 camera and more than several #10 cameras as well as at least one of all the other sizes. That's the odd part of the story. How was it possible that I could end up in a town I don't live in, find my way into an old warehouse and spot the rarest panoramic camera in the world that should have been in Arizona, not Alaska?

Shellor was in Alaska but never used the big camera here or at least nothing has ever shown up as far as actual photos.

I'm about to leave on a long trip driving a 1929 model A Ford to Valdez Alaska and back to Juneau (1,600 miles). When I get back I'll try to post pictures of Shellor's monster camera.

In the meantime I've posted a picture of his business card that pretty much say's it all, and a photo of Floyd later in life with another big camera that he made. That one doesn't appear to be panoramic but does look like it is setting on a #16 cirkut turntable.

More later if I make it back to town, we had fresh snow on the mountains yesterday (July 27) it could be a long drive in my old touring car that is packed with a lot of LF camera gear. I'm driving alone so if I break down my plan is to drag everything into the brush and bury it, then hitchhike to the next town. That should make a great discovery in the future for someone else if I don't make it back. Oh, I will be sure to make a really ambiguous map to confuse everyone even more.

Anyhow, enjoy the photo and business card.

Ron Klein
    Juneau, Alaska
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Shellorbc.jpg   shellorcamera1.jpg  

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Wonderful pictures...

I am amazed the tripod actually looks quite ordinary. The weight of this monster must be enormous. I have seen pictures of huge camera's on the back of a truck...

Last year, in the Antwerp museum of photography, there was a camera on display with a bellows of about 3 to 4 meters and a groundglass of probably 1 x 1.25 meter... the extendible bed the camera parts were fixed on almost looked like a car chassis...
    Last edited by Marco B; 07-28-2008 at 06:32 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Ron, I lived in Juneau for 4 yr. What a beautiful place. God I miss it at times. But good luck driving in there since there are no roads into Juneau. So I assume you mean you'll be using the Alaskan Marine Highway ( ferry). A great way to travel and very affordable, at least it was back in the early 90's. While in Juneau stop into The Red Dog Saloon, order the halibut, its fantastic. Robert

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by panoramic View Post
    When I get back I'll try to post pictures of Shellor's monster camera.
    Please do, and have nice trip.

Godspeed/
    Claes

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Oops, Sorry Ron, I just noticed you are from Juneau. So you're well aware of what's there. Disregard

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    These gentlemen have a a bone to pick with the editor of the Tonopah Bonanza.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Don12x20 View Post
    Jim
    Was this that camera found under the skating rink along with a lot of films -- the ice rink was thawed and the items found.....It was an oversized Cirkuit.
    Who knows what treasures we will find under the North Pole when it melts... All those cameras that Santa kept in cold storage because some of you were naughty when you should have been nice...
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Barry:

Isn't this the camera that was hauled around via flatcar to take a photo of a train?

"Beer is proof that God wants us to be happy."

Benjamin Franklin

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin