Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,772   Posts: 1,484,343   Online: 1208

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank Szabo View Post
    Barry:

Isn't this the camera that was hauled around via flatcar to take a photo of a train?
    Yes, it was commissioned by the Chicago and Alton Railway to promote a new train. The camera was built in Chicago and the photographer was George R. Lawrence--a very interesting guy. The size of the plate was 8 x 4 1/2 feet.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Sounds really great. I need a print to go in the living room. Can he get matting and a frame to match the pattern in my couch?

Seriously, sounds like a labor of love.

How does he mount and display this size image?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Interesting indeed. Thanks for the mentioning of his name.

http://memory.loc.gov/ammem/collecti...o/pnphtgs.html
    WYSIWYG - At least that's my goal.

Portfolio-http://apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=25518

Shooter
    ULarge Format

Check out this business card....

Here's another business card from my collection.

And you might like my website about the George Lawrence San Francisco project.

www.RonKleinPhotos.com

Ron in Alaska
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails lawrencebc.jpg  

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry S View Post
    Yes, it was commissioned by the Chicago and Alton Railway to promote a new train. The camera was built in Chicago and the photographer was George R. Lawrence--a very interesting guy. The size of the plate was 8 x 4 1/2 feet.
    This about the size of the camera I saw in the photo museum in Antwerp. Maybe a bit smaller, but not much looking at the photograph you posted... an incredible machine. The camera was part of the AGFA-GEVAERT camera collection (Agfa Photo-Historama), which was divided into the cameras going to Antwerp, while the photographs of that collection ended up in Keulen.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have read the rest of the thread and know about 1913, but here's a link to the new record anyway:

http://www.freestylephoto.biz/greatpicture.php

Just because it's interesting how they achieved it.

Quote Originally Posted by johnnywalker View Post
    I thought the largest photograph in the world was much larger, something like 100 feet by 30 feet, and was taken in an aircraft hanger in southern California. The hanger was used as a camera oscura, and the image projected onto light sensitive cloth. I believe the hanger was later torn down, so the photo Jim is referring to may be the world's largest photo made by a non-disposable camera.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by athanasius80 View Post
    Not to muddy the waters more, but are you thinking of the swimming pool in Dawson City? Because that was movie film from the teens and twenties. I think...
    That was a different discovery. I copied the text below from the Library of Congress.

This collection of early theatrical films, known more familiarly as the Dawson Collection, is most notable for its source: a Yukon swimming pool. During the summer of 1978, amid restoration of Dawson City (a gold rush era boom town in the Yukon Territory) workmen unearthed a cache of 35mm nitrate film. At the end of the distribution chain, some 500 reels had accumulated there, and in 1929 were dumped as fill in a swimming pool that had come to the end of its usefulness. The region's deep and abiding cold (still today the only known retardant of nitrate deterioration) contributed to a high survival rate of the buried treasure, although water damage took its toll, especially from the top layer. Quick, improvised action on the part of the Public Archives of Canada (now National Archives of Canada, Moving Image and Sound Archives), with the cooperation of the Library of Congress and the American Film Institute, was necessary in order to salvage the survivors. See Sam Kula's "There's Film in Them Thar Hills!" (American Film, July/August 1979) for an action- packed account of the discovery and rescue. LC has the U.S. productions, some 190 reels, and all have been preserved and cataloged.

Although a number of important, and rare, early films (including "Polly of the Circus" [1917], with Mae Marsh and "Bliss" [1917], with Harold Lloyd) were unearthed in Dawson City, many survive only as incomplete copies. There are features, shorts, several serials and some news films. Title cards are filed in the Film and Television Catalog, and copies of these cards have been collected for a subject file in the Reading Room.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Looks like at least four very interesting (nonfiction) stories in this thread. Any pointers to additional information not listed would be most useful.
    * the 22 inch Circuit Camera
    * the San Francisco Kite adventure
    * the Alton Railroad Photograph (this has been published in hardcover in at least one train book I've seen)
    * the Dawson swimming pool find
    (+ the Hanger in S California was well documented in several media types)

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I can verify that Google has a bunch of stuff on everything except the 22" Cirkut camera.

It might have stuff on that too, but I haven't looked for anything on that particular story.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by panoramic View Post
    Here's another business card from my collection.

And you might like my website about the George Lawrence San Francisco project.

www.RonKleinPhotos.com

Ron in Alaska
    You sir, are also an interesting guy. That's quite an adventure re-photographing the Lawrence SF kite photograph. If you decide to reconstruct the great camera, consider my help at your disposal.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin